The Student Room Group

Mature international student, any chances?

Some good advice?

I'm a swedish student turning 21 this year dreaming of studies in Scotland. I finished high school two years ago now, with good grades, and after that I have been studying french and persian for three terms at the university here (Lund and Uppsala) and working in Paris half a year. This means I will have aquired 90 european credits these past two years.

How will the universities judge me? Do I have some chances of entering for example Edinburgh University?

I've been in contact with them but just realized today that two years will have passed since I finished high school now, something that had not struck me before. I will send them another e-mail but my questions are in fact quite general. I don't know in what category I fit in to since I have been studying these two years.

Where do I find information about this? Will I have to enter some kind of access program?

I've really set my mind on doing this, reading a lot on the internet about the application system, some universities, accommodation and everything. All this just to realise today that it will be even more difficult than it already seems to me. Scotland seems like a nice place though, so I really hope I will make it.

Please help me!
Original post by prieto
Some good advice?

I'm a swedish student turning 21 this year dreaming of studies in Scotland. I finished high school two years ago now, with good grades, and after that I have been studying french and persian for three terms at the university here (Lund and Uppsala) and working in Paris half a year. This means I will have aquired 90 european credits these past two years.

How will the universities judge me? Do I have some chances of entering for example Edinburgh University?

I've been in contact with them but just realized today that two years will have passed since I finished high school now, something that had not struck me before. I will send them another e-mail but my questions are in fact quite general. I don't know in what category I fit in to since I have been studying these two years.

Where do I find information about this? Will I have to enter some kind of access program?

I've really set my mind on doing this, reading a lot on the internet about the application system, some universities, accommodation and everything. All this just to realise today that it will be even more difficult than it already seems to me. Scotland seems like a nice place though, so I really hope I will make it.

Please help me!

I don't think you would need to do an Access course, as long as the University of Edinburgh accepts the qualifications you already have. The fact that you gained your qualifications 2 years ago shouldn't matter - it hasn't been long enough of a gap to disregard them I wouldn't think. However, if they don't accept your qualifications they might want you to do some sort of course before they would accept you. You would really need to wait for them to answer your questions to know about this though.
Reply 2
Original post by prieto
Some good advice?

Please help me!

It isn't nearly as difficult as it seems, you're just overthinking it. :smile:

First of all, your age doesn't matter so forget about that (yes, you will be categorized as a mature student, but because you've had so little time between leaving school and now it doesn't really mean anything other than that you can join the university's mature students society if you so wish).
Secondly, the fact that you graduated two years ago and have been studying on a higher level since doesn't really change anything either if you want to start from the beginning. So in conclusion: your age and the gap between now and leaving high school - doesn't really change a thing compared to other international applicants who are still in school. So you can stop worrying about that.

Now that that has been cleared up... As far as I know most UK universities accept you with your Swedish qualifications and Edinburgh seems to be no different: http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/international/country/europe-russia/sweden/qualifications. Of course you need to meet the course requirements.

This is basically how the process should go: 1) get an idea of what your grades are in terms of A-levels. The Edinburgh's website should give you some idea and many other universities have similar "about your country" pages, so check them out. This is so you'd know whether your grades are sufficient to apply for X/Y/Z courses. 2) Pick your courses and universities. 3) Get started on the UCAS application. You will enter the grades you received in high school just as they are, do not try to give UK equivalents or something. You will also need to list the university courses you have taken, whether or not you want to continue your studies in the UK. 4) Wait for the replies.

If you want to continue with your studies in the UK then you have to contact the schools and ask them to evaluate your studies. You may gain direct entry into second/third year if your results are good enough and the classes you took match the requirements of the program you want to transfer into.
I'm from Sweden and have recently been accepted to do a Masters course in London. In my application I just submitted my Swedish high school certificate in Swedish and English (for comparison) and I had no difficulties with my application at all even though it's 4 years since I finished my undergraduate (in Australia). The university simply makes a note that you are an EU student for fees purposes (which means that you pay the same fees as a UK student) and I found the rest of the application process fairly straightforward.

I would suggest e-mailing the Student Services at the particular universities you are considering to double check with them what the entry requirements they have for the courses you would like to do. They are used to dealing with enquiries from people with a wide range of backgrounds so will be able to give you detailed advice about how things work at their university.
Reply 4
People have already said it as long as your courses and qualifications are acceptable to the universities in question and you write a good PS etc. then you stand as good a chance as any. You have done the correct thing in contacting the university directly... try and get the e-mail of the addmissions tutor for the course you are interested in. That is what I did pre application (I'm a mature student also) I felt this really boosted my application.

Good luck
Reply 5
Just e-mail/contact the universities I am sure there are tiny complications regarding entry to specific courses, but like everyone said above it is all pretty straightforward and makes no difference. Contact them, ask them, then tell them what you want to do and communicate and get every single detail.
Reply 6
hey man im 22 and finished my high school 4 years ago
ive been in the army ever since and have had no problems with that
just explain why you took the time and what you did on your personal statement and you will be fine.
Reply 7
Ooh I am really sorry I didn't even realize you all had answered me. Hahhahahah Wow.. how stupid can you be? I'm just reading your answers now. Not even sure that you'll get notified that I am posting this, well well.Thanks for your answers anyway!

It's quite funny to look back on how confused I was in May last year. I guess I've come a long way since then. I am going to start studying a Bachelor in Politics in Glasgow now in september :biggrin: I made it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending