The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
Original post by ksimmi25
How many marks will I lose for not putting x = 3 back into the equation for 7b and not leaving my answer for 8b in pi - but as a decimal?? Any help much appreciated!!

I think you have 7 and 8 the wrong way around.

2 marks lost in each question.
Original post by ,,,,
Did you use the a(1-r^n)/1-r>1000 method?

No I didn't :\ I can't really remember I just remember using logs but it didn't work so I ended up doing it by multiplying by 0.75
what if for the one for finding the value for B i did the 2 times one the wrong way round?
Reply 1183
and how many marks will i lose if i changed my angles to radians but in decimals?
To be fair, it was a relatively tricky paper in terms of C2, especially questions 5b, 8a and the two trig questions, which caught a lot of people out.
Question 5b took me literally half an hour to do. This coming from an A2 student!
Reply 1185
Original post by watchthis

Original post by watchthis
To be fair, it was a relatively tricky paper in terms of C2, especially questions 5b, 8a and the two trig questions, which caught a lot of people out.
Question 5b took me literally half an hour to do. This coming from an A2 student!

C1 was so much harder I thought :|

what was wrong with the trig questions? they were basic
Reply 1186
Original post by ExcellionXXHunter
Hi Arsey, I kinda hesitated on doing curve-line(got 121.5) so I did line-curve as well separately and like you said I got a negative answer but still left it there, so I just want to double check if the examiner will only mark the right one? THanks! Oh and @gandanman I apologise for my last comment, I didn't notice you did line-curve instead:frown:.

From the general marking guidance.

No working

If no working is shown then correct answers normally score full marks.

If no working is shown then incorrect (even though nearly correct) answers score no marks.

With working

If there is a wrong answer indicated on the answer line always check the working in the body of the script (and on any diagrams), and award any marks appropriate from the mark scheme.

If it is clear from the working that the “correct” answer has been obtained from incorrect working, award 0 marks.

Any case of suspected misread loses A (and B) marks on that part, but can gain the M marks.

If working is crossed out and still legible, then it should be given any appropriate marks, as long as it has not been replaced by alternative work.

If there is a choice of methods shown, then no marks should be awarded, unless the answer on the answer line makes clear the method that has been used

If there is no answer on the answer line then check the working for an obvious answer.

Follow through marks

Follow through marks which involve a single stage calculation can be awarded without working since you can check the answer yourself, but if ambiguous do not award.

Follow through marks which involve more than one stage of calculation can only be awarded on sight of the relevant working, even if it appears obvious that there is only one way you could get the answer given.

Ignoring subsequent work

It is appropriate to ignore subsequent work when the additional work does not change the answer in a way that is inappropriate for the question: eg. incorrect cancelling of a fraction that would otherwise be correct

It is not appropriate to ignore subsequent work when the additional work essentially makes the answer incorrect eg algebra.

Transcription errors occur when candidates present a correct answer in working, and write it incorrectly on the answer line; mark the correct answer.

If a candidate makes more than one attempt at any question:

(a) If all but one attempt is crossed out, mark the attempt which is NOT crossed out.

(b) If either all attempts are crossed out or none are crossed out, mark all the attempts and score the highest single attempt.

I am always very dubious about the bit in bold
Reply 1187
Original post by zain6461
and how many marks will i lose if i changed my angles to radians but in decimals?

none, it didn't say to leave as multiples of pi
Got the radius correct, but then for part c, i just subtracted the radius from the area of the sector, instead of finding the area of the circle :s-smilie:
Reply 1189
Original post by timkench
what if for the one for finding the value for B i did the 2 times one the wrong way round?

none, that is completely wrong.
Reply 1190
Original post by Arsey
if you wrote (x+2)^2 + (y-1)^2 = 16 you would get 1/2

Also on the last question I forgot to minus the triangle
and in 6d I had the right method and everything but got wrong answer cause I used 256 as A and in 7a I forgot to add the +45 because i did some long stupid method :l but got what you got before you added the 45 how many marks would I lose?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1191
Original post by zain6461
how many marks will i lose for leaving that final geometric series answer as 13.05?

1 mark
Reply 1192
Original post by Arsey
1 mark

Just curious, did the students you teach get the circle radius question right? My teacher will be so annoyed none of us got it right. :colondollar:
Original post by Arsey
none, that is completely wrong.

just to check - for question 5b I drew a triangle on the circle but I don't think Iput any working down, but I got 2 as the answer? in the markscheme you just put up doesn't it say award marks for correct answers with no working?
Also for 6d I tried working it out using logs but I got a stupidly high answer so I ended up doing it by multiplying each subsequent term by 0.75 to get the answer as n=14, again how many marks for that do you think?

And for 7a I got 93.2 but also 86.8 because itook 93.2 from 180 for some reason :\ how many marks for that?

Sorry for the long essay - also for the binomial expansion I stupidly used the wrong binomial expansion version and somehow got x=3 (even though we were supposed to find b) damn I messed up quite a few things :frown:
Original post by reapz
C1 was so much harder I thought :|

what was wrong with the trig questions? they were basic

I didn't do C1 as this was a resit, but I had a friend who re-sat C1 and he said as C1 papers go, it was quite tricky.

Yes, the trig questions I found easy, but the 2nd one was a substitution and a quadratic with no reference (as in usually in C2 they tell you, show that this equals ......).

But yeah, as an A2 student I found it straight forward apart from 5b, but if I was still in AS and did this paper, I think I would've found it tricky.

But I was just saying, as far as C2 goes, quite tricky.
Reply 1195
Can you specify that an examiner does not mark something ?

Eg. i write Checking answers - do not mark

Would they have to mark that or should i just cross it out
Original post by Arsey

If a candidate makes more than one attempt at any question:

(a) If all but one attempt is crossed out, mark the attempt which is NOT crossed out.

(b) If either all attempts are crossed out or none are crossed out, mark all the attempts and score the highest single attempt.

I am always very dubious about the bit in bold

Yes, I am too. Even though we've asked our teachers(examiners) many times and they said they're going to mark the right one, I'm always doubtful.:s-smilie:
Reply 1197
Hey guys .. just wondering how many marks i will lose
firstly question 6d). i wrote down the formula and what to use.. knew the values to put in.. all i did was divide the logs the wrong way .. but i got the right numbers.. i just put log(3/4) divided by the other log... instead of the other way round :/

And question 8b) i did the differential right ...but missed off the 1 off the 12 ... so i divided the number by 2 ... so my method was correct.. it was just the minmum point for x i got was a decimal not 3 ... and then L became a decimal will i get marking through error? and will it mean i wont get maximum marks on the 8c) or is that for my value?
I hope that was clear its a bit hard to explain on here lol :smile:
Hi, just wondering how much i'll drop on each question

2b.) got the first 2 terms right but last term wrong.
2c.) did (2 x 405 b) but made it equal to my wrong last term.. any mark there or not?
4a and c.) I left them as pi answers (6pi and 2pi) is that ok?
4b.) I got the right answer, with some working out,but the working out is pretty random and unclear as the right answer is absicaly a guess.. will I drop one or 2?
6d.) got the right answer (n=14) but working out a little messy again, but generally correct, did the right rule and logged it, just in a different way..
7a.) missed the 356.8 term
8b.) did all the working to get x=3 but got a feeling i only put x into the second bit (162/x^2) so the answer may be wrong, how many dropped?

Thanks alot!
Original post by Arsey

No working

If no working is shown then correct answers normally score full marks.

With working

If it is clear from the working that the “correct” answer has been obtained from incorrect working, award 0 marks.

So people who guessed and simply put "2" for 5b get full marks, but people who attempted a solution and showed some knowledge, ie finding arc length, and ended up with 2 as answer, get no marks?

Latest

Trending

Trending