The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1380
Original post by Extricated
Very, very surprised at these ridiculously high boundaries....69 is 90 ums so 70 is 91 ums?

no, these are rounded. 90 ums is not actually possible

68 = 89ums, 69 = 91ums
Reply 1381
do you know what is needed for 77ums as thats what i need to get into uni? please.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by icedragon
92UMS, probably. I wouldn't worry about it, it should just mean that people did better than they thought. I think the circle in a triangle question in C2 just made people think it was a hard paper when in fact the rest of it was quite trivial.

Original post by Arsey
no, these are rounded. 90 ums is not actually possible

68 = 89ums, 69 = 91ums

Thanks so i probably got 92 im guessing :frown:...more worried about s1...high boundaries for an s1 paper which was pretty difficult.

Seems like quite a few managed to get the radius question then, nobody at my school managed it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by muzz.r
do you know what is needed for 77ums as thats what i need to get into uni? please.

60/75
Reply 1384
the radius one was by far the poorest answered on the paper nationally! but it was only a 3 marker.
Original post by Extricated
Thanks so i probably got 92 im guessing :frown:...more worried about s1...high boundaries for an s1 paper which was pretty difficult.

Seems like quite a few managed to get the radius question then, nobody at my school managed it.

A lot of people just guessed the right answer (2) but I can't really see them being awarded marks for that... Anyway, I don't think that's the reason for the high boundary, I just genuinely think the rest of the paper was fairly easy!
Original post by Arsey
the radius one was by far the poorest answered on the paper nationally! but it was only a 3 marker.

Did you do any marking for this paper Arsey? If so can you tell us whether marks were awarded if the right answer was given with no explanation or working? You probably can't I'm guessing... :colondollar:
Reply 1387
Original post by Arsey
Actual

100UMS - 75
90UMS - 69
80UMS - 62
70UMS - 54
60UMS - 46
50UMS - 38
40UMS - 30

I predicted 4 too low for an A, way off :frown:

How do you know this?
Reply 1388
A lot of people just guessed the right answer (2) but I can't really see them being awarded marks for that... Anyway, I don't think that's the reason for the high boundary, I just genuinely think the rest of the paper was fairly easy!

no marks for part b for guessing, however, full marks on c, if correctly solved using the lucky guess on b
Original post by Arsey
no marks for part b for guessing, however, full marks on c, if correctly solved using the lucky guess on b

Thanks! Does that also mean ecf marks for c if a wrong answer was given for b?
Reply 1390
Original post by Arsey

Are you sure? The mark scheme would suggest otherwise.

Special case: If a candidate states an answer of r = 2 as a guess or from an incorrect method then award M0M0B1. Such a candidate could then go onto score M1A1 on part c.

I hate you, C2. :angry:
Reply 1391
92UMS, probably. I wouldn't worry about it, it should just mean that people did better than they thought. I think the circle in a triangle question in C2 just made people think it was a hard paper when in fact the rest of it was quite trivial.

I disagree with that. The volume question tricked a few people (not defining one of the sides) and the integration was slightly trickier. There were plenty of questions out there to catch people out, such as the missed solution for one of the trigonometry questions.
Original post by Groat
Are you sure? The mark scheme would suggest otherwise.

Special case: If a candidate states an answer of r = 2 as a guess or from an incorrect method then award M0M0B1. Such a candidate could then go onto score M1A1 on part c.

I hate you, C2. :angry:

You have the MS for C2 paper?

Original post by Groat
I disagree with that. The volume question tricked a few people (not defining one of the sides) and the integration was slightly trickier. There were plenty of questions out there to catch people out, such as the missed solution for one of the trigonometry questions.

The integration question was pretty standard and the volume one was the same. Those were both styles of question that had come up in past papers and were quite easy I thought. How else would you explain the high grade boundary if people didn't do better than in previous papers?
Reply 1393
You have the MS for C2 paper?

The integration question was pretty standard and the volume one was the same. Those were both styles of question that had come up in past papers and were quite easy I thought. How else would you explain the high grade boundary if people didn't do better than in previous papers?

Mark scheme.

Explain to me why June 2009 paper had a 100 boundary of 69, yet it was easier than the June 2011 paper?
Original post by Groat
Mark scheme.

Explain to me why June 2009 paper had a 100 boundary of 69, yet it was easier than the June 2011 paper?

Thanks!

And that is clearly a matter of opinion... For there to be a lower boundary in '09 people on average must have done worse than in the '11 paper, suggesting that 11 was easier.
Groat, it isn't about difficulty, it depends on how well people have done as a whole..maybe june 09 was a bad year
Reply 1396
Thanks!

And that is clearly a matter of opinion... For there to be a lower boundary in '09 people on average must have done worse than in the '11 paper, suggesting that 11 was easier.

How can a paper with the trapezium rule contributing 6 marks be more difficult?
Original post by Groat
How can a paper with the trapezium rule contributing 6 marks be more difficult?

I honestly don't know, but people did worse on it and that is a fact, so it must have been harder. Maybe it was a year full of stupid students? I don't know haha. :biggrin:
Reply 1398
How did everyone do?

I was really pleased to get 80%, as I had thought I would get less, following the Arsey mark scheme.

:smile:
Reply 1399
Original post by Arsey
Actual

100UMS - 75
90UMS - 69
80UMS - 62
70UMS - 54
60UMS - 46
50UMS - 38
40UMS - 30

I predicted 4 too low for an A, way off :frown: