The Student Room Group

Studying in English in Europe

Mostly focusing on undergraduate study in Germany and France. Is it feasible, in terms of finance etc.? Just general research really

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump.
Reply 2
Bump.
Reply 3
Bump.
Reply 4
I looked into this aswell, but only in spain... tbh all i found was a few 'private' universities with v limited course choice =/ sorry
Reply 5
Bump.
Maastricht actively recruit British students.

http://www.maastrichtuniversity.nl/web/Home.htm
(edited 13 years ago)
You haven't really given us much information? What do you want to study is probably the most important. Universities in Germany are now doing some lessons in English (whether the whole course is in English or not depends), I can't speak for France. In terms of finance I'm pretty sure you cannot get a grant or loan from the UK however tuition fees in Germany are very low, some universities still don't have any, although you do have to pay administration fees.
Reply 8
There are no undergraduate degrees completely taught in English in France...
Reply 9
What do you want to study exactly? English-speaking schools are usually quite subject-specific.
Reply 10
What do you want to study?
Do you speak French? If not, then you will find it very difficult to pursue a university degree in France.

What is your budget?
Not possible in France. Vaguely possible in Germany. Very possible in other European countries, in particular the Netherlands, Sweden and the Baltic States.
An important piece of information is what do you want to study? Also has the option to edit posts disappeared or is my computer just being crappy?
Reply 13
In France it is possible, but mainly business schools (École de Commerce) or some private schools (eg. EEGP delivers HNDs in Graphic Design, 3D Design and Interactive Media)
Original post by xmarilynx
There are no undergraduate degrees completely taught in English in France...

http://admissions.sciences-po.fr/en/node/201

If the OP is interested in the Middle East there is an English track at Sciences Po Menton.

Also there is another English track at Sciences Po Riems (although that seems more for Americans)
Reply 16
Original post by Travelling_Girl
You haven't really given us much information? What do you want to study is probably the most important. Universities in Germany are now doing some lessons in English (whether the whole course is in English or not depends), I can't speak for France. In terms of finance I'm pretty sure you cannot get a grant or loan from the UK however tuition fees in Germany are very low, some universities still don't have any, although you do have to pay administration fees.

History(any time period), Latin, Classics, Economics, Philosophy, Politics. And/or an MFL of course.

Original post by DeadPixel
What do you want to study exactly? English-speaking schools are usually quite subject-specific.

See above.

Original post by Apollonia
What do you want to study?
Do you speak French? If not, then you will find it very difficult to pursue a university degree in France.

What is your budget?

See above for subjects. I speak English only(with very minimal Spanish and French). I'm not sure of my budget, but it's probaly about £30k, potentially mroe.
Original post by beefmaster
http://admissions.sciences-po.fr/en/node/201

If the OP is interested in the Middle East there is an English track at Sciences Po Menton.

Also there is another English track at Sciences Po Riems (although that seems more for Americans)

Good point, and seeing the OP's interests sciences po would be ideal. Part of the course is still taught in French though (even though beginner's are accepted) so my comment still stands.
(edited 13 years ago)
Hi all,

www.bachelorsportal.eu is a great site and you can select if you want your degree taught entirely in English. You are right in saying that you can't apply for a UK student loan to study overseas - the best bet is to find the right course at the right uni and then find funding through them...

There are lots of countries that teach their bachelor degrees entirely in English, Norway, Denmark, Latvia, Netherlands and they are affordable to study at too (in some cases free!)
Reply 19
The Netherlands has quite some 'International University Colleges' that offer bachelor education entirely in English with lots of international students.

For example Roosevelt Academy (www.roac.nl) is a good one.
As an EU citizen this will only cost you around 1600 euro a year for Tuition fees.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending