The Student Room Group

Psychology Applicants (2012 entry)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by StickleBricks
hey, congrats! Sussex is my first choice but I haven't heard back yet so I was wondering if you could tell me when you sent your ucas off and which A levels you are taking? Thanks! :smile: really happy for you :smile:

Thanks!! It's my first choice as well! :biggrin: Have you been to the open day?

I've applied on the 15 October, and got the offer yesterday. I was expecting an acknowledgement e-mail first, so it was a pleasant surprise :smile:

I'm doing A-Level English Lit & Lang, French and Psychology. How about you? :biggrin:
Original post by StickleBricks
University: Essex
Course Name: BSc Psychology (C800)
Predicted Grades: AAA
Offer: ABB
Reaction: so happy I've got my first offer! :smile:

Congrats!!! I got an offer from Essex as well lol we might go to the same uni! XD what are your other choices?
Reply 382
Original post by emillie
My predicted grades are A*A*A, my GCSE results were 10 A*'s and 1A and my AS's were AAAA. And yeah, I applied for the straight Bsc course. I wanted to do the one with the MSci but I don't do A level maths.

Ok cool- I'm really worried now. I've applied for the MSci course- but psychology and psychological research as that doesn't require Maths. I got 9 A*s and got predicted A*A*A, but got AAAB at AS as messed up my last chemistry exam. I did do have an additional AS grade A which I did the year before though. I really want an offer from Birmingham! But loads of people have already got offers from there so not sure if I'll be getting one :/
Reply 383
Original post by kat1912
Ok cool- I'm really worried now. I've applied for the MSci course- but psychology and psychological research as that doesn't require Maths. I got 9 A*s and got predicted A*A*A, but got AAAB at AS as messed up my last chemistry exam. I did do have an additional AS grade A which I did the year before though. I really want an offer from Birmingham! But loads of people have already got offers from there so not sure if I'll be getting one :/

Hey, I applied for and MSci at birmingham too, but the psychology and psychological practice one... i haven't heard anything yet... does that one interview? because the one i've applied to does, and i haven't heard anything yet =/ really nervous lol X
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 384
Original post by Flippin-Mad

I mau have said this on this thread at some point already, can't remember, but I'm currently in my second year of a Psychology degree at bath so if anyone applying here has any qs then I can try to answer them :smile:

:O That's practically my dream!! :smile: I definitely have questions! When did you get your offer from Bath? And what A Levels did you take?
has anyone applied to Brunel or University of Westminster?
Original post by SE20
:O That's practically my dream!! :smile: I definitely have questions! When did you get your offer from Bath? And what A Levels did you take?

I got my offer in January the year I applied (around oct/nov of 2009) but from what I have heard last year more of the offers came out feb/march time. I took Psychology, Maths and Chemistry to A2 plus business studies and further maths at AS. Where else are you applying to?
Reply 387

I got my offer in January the year I applied (around oct/nov of 2009) but from what I have heard last year more of the offers came out feb/march time. I took Psychology, Maths and Chemistry to A2 plus business studies and further maths at AS. Where else are you applying to?

Oh, ok. I'm trying not to expect anything until March, but I want to go there so badly! :smile: I have offers from Birmingham, Nottingham and Royal Holloway, and am also waiting on Durham for Applied Psychology as a backup. Are you pleased you went there? :smile:
Still haven't received acknowledgement OR offer from RHUL... should I email them?
Reply 389
Original post by punctuation
Still haven't received acknowledgement OR offer from RHUL... should I email them?

when did you send your application? mine went 20th of October and so far I havent heard anything from them but I've also heard they don't give out acknowledgments :frown:
Original post by BexyBear
when did you send your application? mine went 20th of October and so far I havent heard anything from them but I've also heard they don't give out acknowledgments :frown:

Mine went 15th October.

I heard they don't have acknowledgements either, but it seems a number of people have been getting offers. :/ My grades definitely meet the mark, so I don't know what's keeping them.

Maybe they have different procedures for international students :dontknow:
Reply 391
Original post by yaymeg
Hey, I applied for and MSci at birmingham too, but the psychology and psychological practice one... i haven't heard anything yet... does that one interview? because the one i've applied to does, and i haven't heard anything yet =/ really nervous lol X

Im not sure if mine interviews- Ahh so scary!!
Let me know when you hear back from them.. I still haven't. Rubbish.
Reply 392
I did pretty poorly at AS. Got BCCE in Psychology, Human Biology, History and Chemistry. I think i was pretty unlucky not to get an A in psychology being 2 marks short and Human Biology worked out bizarrely as i got 2 B's in the exams, a C in the coursework and overall i got a C.
So i'm applying for Bangor, Chester, Leeds Met, UCLAN and East London.
Original post by SE20
Oh, ok. I'm trying not to expect anything until March, but I want to go there so badly! :smile: I have offers from Birmingham, Nottingham and Royal Holloway, and am also waiting on Durham for Applied Psychology as a backup. Are you pleased you went there? :smile:

Yeah I wouldn't worry about not getting anything from them yet. I applied to RHUL too...none of the others though. I'm definitely pleased I came here (missed the open days so was a bit of risk!) I've really enjoyed it so far, and although I didn't really realise it when I started applying for unis I think the placement year is going to be a massive advantage really amazing to have that experience for after you graduate. Also it's a small department (although it's expanding soon but will still be comparatively small going from 70/80 to about 110 I think) which is really nice because you recognise most the people on your course really quickly and the department feels really friendly because lecturers also start to recognise you and stuff so not quite as anonymous as some of the bigger unis felt.
Reply 394
:s-smilie: Will my UCL psychology application be considered without a GCSE modern foreign language?

I have just submitted my UCAS application for Psychology at; UCL, Sheffield, Lancaster, Durham (applied psych), Liverpool.

But i was then told that UCL always require an MFL GCSE which i don't have!.:confused: UCLs website states that " UCL also requires a Modern Language GCSE at grade C or above for all of its programmes" it then says "For students who do not have a Modern Language GCSE, UCL will provide opportunities to meet the language requirement once enrolled at UCL" i have no idea what this is about .:eek:..why having a GCSE MFL is a language requirement...

All this has left me quite worried because UCL was my first choice, so i will be pretty gutted if my application just gets rejected straight away all for the sake of my GCSE options.

My GCSE grades are
5A*s
5As
1B
Including no foreign languages..

AS Grades
Biology A
Psychology A
Environmental Science A
Politics C

A-Level Predictions
Biology A
Psychology A*
Environmental Science A
General Studies ???

Do i have any chance of an offer at UCL?:drool:
Reply 395
Original post by af6789
:s-smilie: Will my UCL psychology application be considered without a GCSE modern foreign language?

I have just submitted my UCAS application for Psychology at; UCL, Sheffield, Lancaster, Durham (applied psych), Liverpool.

But i was then told that UCL always require an MFL GCSE which i don't have!.:confused: UCLs website states that " UCL also requires a Modern Language GCSE at grade C or above for all of its programmes" it then says "For students who do not have a Modern Language GCSE, UCL will provide opportunities to meet the language requirement once enrolled at UCL" i have no idea what this is about .:eek:..why having a GCSE MFL is a language requirement...

All this has left me quite worried because UCL was my first choice, so i will be pretty gutted if my application just gets rejected straight away all for the sake of my GCSE options.

My GCSE grades are
5A*s
5As
1B
Including no foreign languages..

AS Grades
Biology A
Psychology A
Environmental Science A
Politics C

A-Level Predictions
Biology A
Psychology A*
Environmental Science A
General Studies ???

Do i have any chance of an offer at UCL?:drool:

I think they care about MFL because they are quite international, something like 30% come from outside the UK. UCL very much models itself as the international university of the UK. What they mean about meeting the requirements once enrolled I assume means that you would need to take a language course alongside your degree programme, this doesn't mean up to degree level or anything like that. Many universities offer these courses and they are seen as a way to increase your employability... however at UCL they may be compulsory if you don't have GCSE MFL. I'm not really sure about this though... maybe email the university??? Although by the way they have mentioned an alternative for if you don't have GCSE MFL, makes me think they won't reject you just because you don't have it...

x
Original post by SE20

I've also applied to Durham for applied psychology as my backup :smile:
Reply 397

Yeah I wouldn't worry about not getting anything from them yet. I applied to RHUL too...none of the others though. I'm definitely pleased I came here (missed the open days so was a bit of risk!) I've really enjoyed it so far, and although I didn't really realise it when I started applying for unis I think the placement year is going to be a massive advantage really amazing to have that experience for after you graduate. Also it's a small department (although it's expanding soon but will still be comparatively small going from 70/80 to about 110 I think) which is really nice because you recognise most the people on your course really quickly and the department feels really friendly because lecturers also start to recognise you and stuff so not quite as anonymous as some of the bigger unis felt.

Oh that's good - I hadn't thought about that actually, but it sounds like a nice environment. I'm not worrying about not hearing from them (no news is good news!) I just can't wait to find out! (Well, if I haven't been rejected that is! :/) :smile:

So did you say you're in 2nd year? Where are you hoping to get your placement next year?
Reply 398
Psychology and Biology if that counts at Liverpool, Gloucestershire, Queen Marys, Derby and UCLAN
hate waiting though!
Just got an RHUL offer today... :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest