The Student Room Group

Durham Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by Clotdoc mum
hello - if anyone around still!
My son is thinking of Durham (in AS year - on course for A/A*)
was wondering if this is a good choice if he does alright in UKCAT :-S
how do they use GCSEs, PS etc?
thankyou!!

The UKCAT cut off for Durham is the same as Newcastle, I think 665+ this year and it fluctuates at around this number every year.
No one knows the cut off before application so it may be used as a potential indication to help to decide where to apply.
Newcastle publish a VERY detail guideline on how the applications are being assess at both Newcastle and Durham on their web site so I wont repeat them here.
You may also want to encourage your son to do his own independent research so that he may be more adapted to doing this when he go to university.
Considering requesting feedback, would emailing Helen be the best way to do so?
Reply 382
Original post by Alison1075
Considering requesting feedback, would emailing Helen be the best way to do so?

That's what I'd do.
Reply 383
Hey, does anyone know if they will be holding any more open days for offer holders?! I haven't heard anything since i got my offer!
Reply 384
Original post by fatman704
Hey, does anyone know if they will be holding any more open days for offer holders?! I haven't heard anything since i got my offer!

They don't have an open day for offer holders only, but they do have one coming up in exactly 2 weeks time for applicants - see the link here.
Reply 385
Original post by Panda89
They don't have an open day for offer holders only, but they do have one coming up in exactly 2 weeks time for applicants - see the link here.

Ahh damn, I'm away for that for that date. Thanks a lot though! I was looking in the completely wrong areas of the website would have never found that page haha!
Reply 386
Just wondering if any current students could let me know what the workload is like in first year?
Reply 387
Original post by CdnBrad
Just wondering if any current students could let me know what the workload is like in first year?

Well the timetable is officially 9-5 (except wednesday which is 9-1) although they do change it around a bit so it rarely ends up being the full 9-5. It is a fairly heavy workload though with assignments and placements outside of lectures. Its certainly more than other degree courses by a fair amount, but we're guided through it quite well. Hope that answers your question?
X
Reply 388
Has anyone received an offer letter or any other documents from Durham since firming? It's been just over two weeks now and I've heard nothing except the track update. I'm slightly concerned.
quite a few universities more or less close down at Easter. We've been waiting for feedback for weeks.
Reply 390
Original post by Panda89
Has anyone received an offer letter or any other documents from Durham since firming? It's been just over two weeks now and I've heard nothing except the track update. I'm slightly concerned.

I received an offer letter after just over three weeks. Don't worry.
Reply 391
Original post by CdnBrad
I received an offer letter after just over three weeks. Don't worry.

That's good to know, thanks.
Reply 392
Now then,

Apologies to those who didn't get an offer, just keep at it! Loads of people doing medicine have applied once or twice, or thrice before getting in.
And congratulations to those who did get in, you'll love it (especially if you chose John Snow, Stevo banter is awful).

I was in second year here but had to drop out half way through because of end-stage renal failure, and I'm hopefull restarting second year into your year group in 2013 when I've had a kidney transplant.

Join medsoc, it's epic.

And if you have any questions, message me

:smile:
Reply 393
Original post by Doobzz

:smile:

all the best! be strong!
(edited 11 years ago)
don't know if it's already been mentioned here but, do Durham have much PBL in their course?
Original post by pyjamatrousers.
don't know if it's already been mentioned here but, do Durham have much PBL in their course?

No, not really. Case-led studies are common but true PBL isn't.

We have a more significant touch of it during the latter part of year 1 with NME, but even then it's in two week intervals so it's still PBL lite (tm) compared to somewhere like Manchester. Personally, I find even that much sucks major donkey b*lls but apparently it's necessary to teach you 'how to deal with teamwork and team failure'. But meh, everyone feels differently about it.

Your first two strands the FC and CVRR which take up the first half of the stage from Oct. to Feb you won't smell a whiff of it. Wooo, go Team Durham.
oh that's great, thank you - I'm not too keen on PBL :]
Did anyone else get a weird blank email this evening from Durham University?
Original post by Normandy114
Did anyone else get a weird blank email this evening from Durham University?

No but I got an email on the tenth (about sending results to them if UCAS doesn't do it automatically) :smile:
Have you heard if you have definite accommodation yet? I've applied but not heard back, starting to get a bit worried!
Reply 399
Original post by goldilocksa
No but I got an email on the tenth (about sending results to them if UCAS doesn't do it automatically) :smile:
Have you heard if you have definite accommodation yet? I've applied but not heard back, starting to get a bit worried!

I called the University on Monday and spoke with them, they said that we should hear back about accommodations in August.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending