The Student Room Group

Durham Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Girl.
It's tomorrow!
What is the 'medicine practical'? What does it involve?
I haven't got a clue!
Thanks

So whats a medical practical??
Reply 41
Original post by fairy spangles
So whats a medical practical??

Well unfortunately I didn't get to hang around for this bit, as my train home had been booked. But I heard that it involved playing with ultrasound machines and body painting. Would have been fun, but ultimately something I can survive without doing.
Reply 42
Does anybody know if the UKCAT cut-off is any different for those applying to do the medicine foundation year as opposed to direct entry onto the MB BS?

Many thanks.
Reply 43
UKCAT cutoff is more likely to be what it was last year than 700. I don't know why every is bandying this number around. Probably to put other people off.
Original post by Beska
Medicine at Durham is taught in partnership with Newcastle. You graduate with a Newcastle degree.

What was their UKCAT cut-off last year?
675 or 667.5 depending on who your ask. I can't find an official consensus on either, so be cautious and assume its the former and that it'll be rising.
Original post by Blorcyn
675 or 667.5 depending on who your ask. I can't find an official consensus on either, so be cautious and assume its the former and that it'll be rising.

Aha, thanks. Would 690 be "safe" enough? I know there are speculations of it rising above 700 (the same for Newcastle) but the admissions lady said they have no idea what it would rise to. Also, based on what does everyone guess it'll rise by a large number? (Other than previous years' trends, of course)
Original post by Long Time Coming
Aha, thanks. Would 690 be "safe" enough? I know there are speculations of it rising above 700 (the same for Newcastle) but the admissions lady said they have no idea what it would rise to. Also, based on what does everyone guess it'll rise by a large number? (Other than previous years' trends, of course)

I honestly can't say. Last year people over predicted at 700 again. It's likely to raise again but we can't know for sure. Heck, it's possible it could get lower. I applied with 680 or 685, 690 would seem safe to me, but you know. . . You've just got to make the leap and hope, or not, it's up to you.

I don't think anyone can tell you whether to apply or not, it worked out for me this year, but I had no way of knowing whether it would or not. Remember TSR isn't quite the norm, a lot more 700s than you generally come across out and about.
Original post by Blorcyn
I honestly can't say. Last year people over predicted at 700 again. It's likely to raise again but we can't know for sure. Heck, it's possible it could get lower. I applied with 680 or 685, 690 would seem safe to me, but you know. . . You've just got to make the leap and hope, or not, it's up to you.

I don't think anyone can tell you whether to apply or not, it worked out for me this year, but I had no way of knowing whether it would or not. Remember TSR isn't quite the norm, a lot more 700s than you generally come across out and about.

Oh so there were over-predictions last year too? Well that's makes things a bit better. The only thing that is a bit of a problem this is year is the uni fee rises; you can't tell whether that'll increase the number of medicine applicants or not. But either way, I think it'd be quite ridiculous if they started asking for ukcat's of higher than 700 like Sheffield.

Thanks anyway.
Reply 49

What was their UKCAT cut-off last year?

It was 675 for a large portion of the cycle but then dropped just after xmas to allow interviews for other candidates. So last years cut off was 667.5!!! For sure!!
Reply 50
Hello, an international applicant from Canada :biggrin:
I'm looking forward to studying medicine in either Newcastle/Durham. Durham looks like a fantastic city, and I'm just crossing my fingers if I will be among the lucky 26 internationals to study medicine in this marvelous city... CAN'T WAIT!!
667.5. 100%
Reply 52
Anyone know what the international cutoffs were?
Original post by doctork2
Anyone know what the international cutoffs were?

You do realise that its not actually in durham city?
Reply 54
You do realise that its not actually in durham city?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by that.
Hello, an international applicant from Canada :biggrin:
I'm looking forward to studying medicine in either Newcastle/Durham. Durham looks like a fantastic city, and I'm just crossing my fingers if I will be among the lucky 26 internationals to study medicine in this marvelous city... CAN'T WAIT!!

The durham campus is in Stockton on Tees for medicine. I thought it was awesome and every enjoyed every second. However im thinking you may be getting durham university queens campus and durhm city mixed up.
Reply 56
The durham campus is in Stockton on Tees for medicine. I thought it was awesome and every enjoyed every second. However im thinking you may be getting durham university queens campus and durhm city mixed up.

Ahaha my apologies. Yes, I was talking about the Queen's Campus in Stockton on Tees. :smile:
It's so cool how some British cities are named something-on-something.. haha :smile: The campus does look gorgeous, though. I would love to spend 5 years of my life there... or possibly more!
Ahaha my apologies. Yes, I was talking about the Queen's Campus in Stockton on Tees. :smile:
It's so cool how some British cities are named something-on-something.. haha :smile: The campus does look gorgeous, though. I would love to spend 5 years of my life there... or possibly more!

Stockton isnt a city the nearest city is boro however there are buses to durham and newcastle upon tyne - another upon! You are only based in queens campus for two years then you can stay in teesside most do for another year on clinical placement then move to newcastle to the university for the fourth year then fifth year is clinical placement again
Reply 58
The cut off for 2011 entry was 668 (average across the four sections).

Taken from an email from Helen.
Reply 59
Does anyone know roughly when interviews are, or at least when we know if we've got one? Also when/if they send confirmation emails, I sent my UCAS form off ages ago and haven't had anything yet... paranoia's kicking in already, I'm gonna be a quivering wreck this time in 3 months :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending