The Student Room Group

Irish Uni's language requirements?

I've been looking into the entry requirements at Trinity College Dublin and University College Dublin and both of them require a language qualification :cry:
Is there any hope of getting in without one?
I was looking to study neuroscience
(edited 12 years ago)
well you can still live in London then........
Reply 2
I meant I live in London at the moment.
Reply 3
Did you not even bother doing a language for GCSE because I think that's all they require from UK applicants. I thought it was just Irish students needed English, Irish, Maths and a language to Leaving Cert.

Well, you can see the admission requirements here: www.tcd.ie/Admissions/undergraduate/

It says that you need:
- 6 subjects at a C or above at GCSE or AS level (2 must be at C or above at A-Level)

Of these, you need:
-pass in English
-pass maths and language other than English
or a pass in Latin and a subject other than a language

UCD is here https://myucd.ucd.ie/programme_info/alevel_req.ezc
Same general situation there.
It seems that UCD just wants a pass in English and Maths. They only want another language at GCSE for certain subjects.
Reply 4
As far as i'm aware for science subjects in Ireland, UK students only need a modern language GCSE.
Reply 5
I dont have a modern language at GCSE either :ashamed2:
Is there no point in applying then?
Reply 6
Original post by Ashlinn

Original post by Ashlinn
I dont have a modern language at GCSE either :ashamed2:
Is there no point in applying then?

Its best to check any course specific requirements, some may not care. But if they do, there would be no point in applying.
It's not a course requirement, it's a university requirement. It is because Irish students must present Irish, English, Maths and a third language until Leaving Cert level- in fact it is lucky you don't have to present one at A-Level level. Trinity, UCD, UCC, NUIG and NUIM certainly will not let you matriculate. UL (University of Limerick), DCU (Dublin City University) and DIT (Dublin Institute of Technology) I can't be sure about. Is there a chance you can do say GCSE French or Spanish externally? My cousin dropped French for LC stupidly and had to do it externally but they allowed it. That way you would be elegible for EVERY university and college here. I would not advise checking course requirements first as it is basic matriculation requirements for the universities that this issue concerns.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending