The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'm planning on going to Manchester. Thankyou for writing these responses they've been very helpful.

How many hours a week do you spend in lectures and things through the years?

Someone I know suggested doing as many modules to do with Industry and Management as possible, would you recommend this?

Thanks again, it's difficult to find information about ChemEng.
Reply 21
Would you prefer to work in America or the UK as an engineer? Just asking this question as quite a few people I know are interested in working abroad partly because they feel the remuneration is better than in the UK
Reply 22
Original post by Nickini
Would going to a red-brick university give me a definite edge over going to somewhere else, such as a Russell Group uni? I was looking at Birmingham or Nottingham as two of my choices, however Birmingham's entry requirements are higher. Is the benefit of having a 'red-brick' degree worth pushing for the higher grades? Or would a degree from a Russell Group Uni serve me just as well.

Cheers, this threads been really helpful.

Birmingham is just above Nottingham in the rankings here: http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Chemical%20Engineering

If you can go to Birmingham, I would. The the University itself is a better physical environment. It's just more pleasant (that's not to say Nottingham's awful).

But in my experience, your university matters for your first couple of jobs. After that, peopel look at your employment record and the path you've chosen. When I've interviewed people, their undergraduate university doesn't factor that much.
can you hook me up with some LSD? awesome thx
Reply 24
Original post by Peel
Would you prefer to work in America or the UK as an engineer? Just asking this question as quite a few people I know are interested in working abroad partly because they feel the remuneration is better than in the UK

Renumeration is higher, certainly, but I wouldn't work in North America *just* for that. Do it for the experience, the excitement and everything it entails. and if you do move back to the UK after a stint abroad, your CV has far more impact because it shows you have drive and ambition.

Given the costs of flights home to see family, health insurance and so on, the cost of setting yourself up in a new country, the extra money may not be worth it.

For me, the first two years have been exciting and a real challenge. But now I'm really starting to miss my family (I haven't seen my nephews grow up - that sucks).

Also, bear in mind that companies are far quicker to let people go in North America, and you have less holiday entitlement (ten days is standard in the US, 15 in Canada). You might also have to pay for health insurance (and that can be a big chunk of change) if your employer doesn't spring for it.

And marmite. You can't get marmite in the US (unless you pay through the nose). I've had people send me care packages.

T
Reply 25
Original post by filtercigarettes
can you hook me up with some LSD? awesome thx

No, but that chap around the corner in a raincoat and a trilby can get you sorted for Es and Whiz

T
Original post by tyrian
I graduated with a MEng in Chemical Engineering from The University of Nottingham in 1997, and a PhD in Fluid Dynamics from Heriot-Watt in 2001.

I currently work in North America selling and supporting in engineering simulation software.

I still use some of the skills I learned as an undergraduate, as well as some of the math. I've stayed in the technical stream, but I have a hand in selling and marketing as well.

Ask me anything at all about my career, studying, whatever.

T

Wanted to ask what your opinion is on the future job prospect for young undergraduates and how you see the industry in the near future
Reply 27
Original post by tyrian
I graduated with a MEng in Chemical Engineering from The University of Nottingham in 1997, and a PhD in Fluid Dynamics from Heriot-Watt in 2001.

I currently work in North America selling and supporting in engineering simulation software.

I still use some of the skills I learned as an undergraduate, as well as some of the math. I've stayed in the technical stream, but I have a hand in selling and marketing as well.

Ask me anything at all about my career, studying, whatever.

T

Hi

to graduate and succeed as a chemical engineer, do you really have to absolutely love maths and physics ? Also can you give a rough % spread of : Pure mathematics ( calculus ) , Mechanics mathematics, Physics and chemistry in the ChemEng course.
Because I'm stuck between pharmacy and biochemical/chemical engineering. My favourite subjects are chemistry and biology but I also like pure maths. However mechanics maths and physics of motion & forces are my worst enemy and i literally have to fight through those topics..

Any advice/suggestions ?
Much appreciated

thanks
Yes thank you... this has been an excellent thread.

T in your opinion what is the best advise you can give a undergraduate chem enger?
Reply 29
Having mentioned the US, do you know if there are there many good chemical engineering jobs around in South America for graduates from red brick UK unis?
Original post by tyrian
x

Can you please explain to me the process you had to go through in obtaining a PhD?
Original post by tyrian
No, but that chap around the corner in a raincoat and a trilby can get you sorted for Es and Whiz

T

so you started on 17k/yr with a phd?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by spike_spiegel
so you started on 17k/yr with a phd?

Yes, I started on 17k per year with a PhD in 2001. Life aint always rosy!
Reply 33
Original post by Soppe
Yes thank you... this has been an excellent thread.

T in your opinion what is the best advise you can give a undergraduate chem enger?

Work to get a 2.i or above, and make sure you get a work placement (don't just bum around "traveling"). If you want to work industrially, no prestigious emplyer one takes a 2.2 seriously.
Reply 34
Original post by Munchies-YumYum
Can you please explain to me the process you had to go through in obtaining a PhD?

During the final year of my undergraduate degree, I met my supervisor. She offered me a research project sponsored by a large UK chemical company, with the final aim being a PhD. I then started on three years of theoretical and experimental work in fluid dynamics, followed by another year of writing my thesis.

The final year was extremely difficult for several reasons (no money coming in from the chemical company, so I had to stack shelves to support myself while trying to write my thesis and complete some experimental work at night, my supervisor was getting increasingly irate with me). The final year was the hardest I have ever worked. After I submitted my thesis, I had a few rounds of corrections, followed by my oral defense. The oral defense lasted a few hours and I was questions about my work by an expert in the field.

T
Original post by tyrian
During the final year of my undergraduate degree, I met my supervisor. She offered me a research project sponsored by a large UK chemical company, with the final aim being a PhD. I then started on three years of theoretical and experimental work in fluid dynamics, followed by another year of writing my thesis.

The final year was extremely difficult for several reasons (no money coming in from the chemical company, so I had to stack shelves to support myself while trying to write my thesis and complete some experimental work at night, my supervisor was getting increasingly irate with me). The final year was the hardest I have ever worked. After I submitted my thesis, I had a few rounds of corrections, followed by my oral defense. The oral defense lasted a few hours and I was questions about my work by an expert in the field.

T

Thank you for your response.

What was the area you were researching? The oral part sounds extreme, what questions did you find the most difficult?
Reply 36
hi there,
what is the best university for a science and engineering foundation in london? i got accepted in QMUL, but thinking seriously to do the UPCSE in UCL. please help. and also i would like to study marine engineering next year. is greenwich maritime course is good?
thanks in advance
I'm starting my personal statement for Chrmical engineering, and was wondering does anyone have a list of books they could advise reading just for extra information.
Reply 38
Original post by Emissionspectra
I'm starting my personal statement for Chrmical engineering, and was wondering does anyone have a list of books they could advise reading just for extra information.

You could keep up to date with latest news and developments in the various sectors on: http://www.tcetoday.com/

Most of the books I can think of on top of my head will only be useful once you've started the course. They are Coulson and Richardson's Chemical Engineering series, Perry's Chemical Engineers' Handbook.... like I said, I don't think they'll be useful pre-university.

Cambridge uni recommend "Introduction to Chemical Engineering: tools for today and tomorrow" but I haven't read it so can't really comment.

Shell published a book couple of years ago regarding challenges faced in the energy sector, which you can download here: http://www-static.shell.com/static/public/downloads/brochures/corporate_pkg/scenarios/shell_energy_scenarios_2050.pdf

I'll update if I can think of any others.
Original post by 5unny_F1
You could keep up to date with latest news and developments in the various sectors on: http://www.tcetoday.com/

Most of the books I can think of on top of my head will only be useful once you've started the course. They are Coulson and Richardson's Chemical Engineering series, Perry's Chemical Engineers' Handbook.... like I said, I don't think they'll be useful pre-university.

Cambridge uni recommend "Introduction to Chemical Engineering: tools for today and tomorrow" but I haven't read it so can't really comment.

Shell published a book couple of years ago regarding challenges faced in the energy sector, which you can download here: http://www-static.shell.com/static/public/downloads/brochures/corporate_pkg/scenarios/shell_energy_scenarios_2050.pdf

I'll update if I can think of any others.

Awesome thanks :smile:. So im on about 2000 characters, but I don't really know what else to say, i guess i should talk about my hobbies and things?

Latest