The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
Hmmm, so if there was a White Girl Appreciation Thread, I wonder how it would be seen to post pictures of mixed (half black/white) women in it. Funnily enough, I'm not sure that would go down too well.

Yeah that is very true, there is something not quite right about the fact that if anyone has any amount of "blackness" then they are considered basically "black" by default and often the rest of their background is ignored. Very iffy.

That said, this isn't the place for this kinds of discussions and I don't think there needs to be strict rules. If you recognise somebody as black and you think they are pretty, post em :dontknow:
Original post by Ciaran88
Yeah that is very true, there is something not quite right about the fact that if anyone has any amount of "blackness" then they are considered basically "black" by default and often the rest of their background is ignored. Very iffy.

That said, this isn't the place for this kinds of discussions and I don't think there needs to be strict rules. If you recognise somebody as black and you think they are pretty, post em :dontknow:

Yep, I very much agree! :yep:
ebuwa man you're chatting bull****, half the pics you post look fairly similar to the mixed race girls that other people post. as a mixed race person i don't identify as black at all but ffs.
Original post by Lizzzle
I just dont see what the problem is with posting mixed race girls - I mean they are black if even just a little, and this is the black girl appreciation thread. Pretty much all of the mixed race people I know identify more with their black roots than their white (or other mix) culturally, socially, musically etc and i'm sure that'd be the same with most mixed race people that people in here know and in general.

Your response didn't really outline what your issue is with it, you just seem so hung up on the exact lexis of the word "black" you might as well only post girls who are literally the colour black.

i don't identify more with my black roots...
i gotta say though, there is this weird thing happening with mixed race people where like people act like we're some kind of ubermenschen... i used to be all "YEAH! Obama, Lewis Hamilton, Leona Lewis, BOOM!" but now it just feels a bit weird... I'd be iffy about a "mixed race appreciation thread"... i think we're appreciated enough :pierre:
Ok, this has gotten far too political. Back OT, black or mixed race or whatever!!

Original post by QwentyJ
Ok, this has gotten far too political. Back OT, black or mixed race or whatever!!

Spoiler

Right on!
I see myself as being black, although I'm technically mixed race
Original post by littleshambles
i don't identify more with my black roots...

Vanny17
x

Well I don't. What's your problem?

Just a quick curious question: If you were to have a child with a black woman, and that child decided to identify as black rather than mixed race or white, would you feel at all upset that it somehow implied they were disregarding their white roots? Or would it not bother you much?
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
Just a quick curious question: If you were to have a child with a black woman, and that child decided to identify as black rather than mixed race or white, would you feel at all upset that it somehow implied they were disregarding their white roots? Or would it not bother you much?

I don't consider being white to be a part of my identity in any way really, I happen to have white skin but beyond that my race is not something I ever think about. When people talk about "white people" it barely registers in my mind that they are referring to me, I don't feel any more affiliated to an American or a Russian than I do a Nigerian or an Indonesian just because our skin colours are similar.

If someone were to ask me my race I'd say celtic, not white. Being a celt is part of my identity because it has historical/political/occasionally social implications, which is why I imagine being black is an important identity for many black people.

If I were to have a child with a black woman (which is pretty likely considering I only date black/asian/arab women lmao) it's racial identity would not even register in my mind really. But I would hope she'd consider herself culturally as much a part of my background as her mother's :smile:
I Got love for mixed race people but in all honesty most mixed race people tend to see themselves as black , they are often seen by other races as black but ask them anything about black history , current affairs back home and they know fuccck all .
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by theoferdinand
I Got love for mixed race people but in all honesty most mixed race people tend to see themselves as black , they are often seen by other races as black but ask them anything about black history , current affairs back home and they know fuccck all .

As most people about history and current affairs of the country they live in and they know **** all.
Reply 1993
Original post by theoferdinand

yeah. generalisations ftw.
As most people about history and current affairs of the country they live in and they know **** all.

Depends on what country you are talking about but I would say most ethnic minorities tend to know a lot about their history

Enough said.
I had an MI at 01:00 :awesome:

lol she has got a man :wink:

Cute picture and great singer :smile:

Oh sweet jaysus :eek:

(edited 12 years ago)

Latest