The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jamaicangal
If you looked through every page, you would have seen that some dark-skinned females have been posted.
Better do your research :tongue:

oh and I hope you know that not all light skin blacks are mixed race.

Well, it's a fact that most Afro Carribean or Afro American blacks are not 100% black. Almost all have some white blood. I read a report which said that over 70% of Afro Americans have european ancestry, proven by tests.

My Dad was born and raised Uganda and the blacks of Africa look distinctly different than the ones of the Carribean, they are 100% black. I wasn't referring to the skin tone anyway, more the features, they suggested dual heritage.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Ciaran88
Every guy reading this thread just got very interested.

O____O

Aww, thanks :smile:
Original post by Potential Trigger
Well, it's a fact that most Afro Carribean or Afro American blacks are not 100% black. Almost all have some white blood. I read a report which said that over 70% of Afro Americans have european ancestry, proven by tests.

My Dad was born and raised Uganda and the blacks of Africa look distinctly different than the ones of the Carribean, they are 100% black. I wasn't referring to the skin tone anyway, more the features, they suggested dual heritage.

That's such a lie. I would like to know where you get your statistics from? And actually some in Africa are actually mixed, have you heard of all the invasions that occurred in the past of various European countries such as the Spanish invasion of Nigeria etc.? Also even if Afro Caribbean or Afro Americans have white blood, most of it is from over six generations ago, which doesn't really have an affect on the appearance of Afro Caribbeans or Afro Americans. I'm not one for stereotypes but most afro americans and afro carribeans have 'big noses', 'big lips' and of course the 'big bums' etc. making them no different from those in Africa. Also there are predominantly more dark-skinned blacks in the Caribbean than there are of light-skinned.
That's such a lie. I would like to know where you get your statistics from? And actually some in Africa are actually mixed, have you heard of all the invasions that occurred in the past of various European countries such as the Spanish invasion of Nigeria etc.? Also even if Afro Caribbean or Afro Americans have white blood, most of it is from over six generations ago, which doesn't really have an affect on the appearance of Afro Caribbeans or Afro Americans. I'm not one for stereotypes but most afro americans and afro carribeans have 'big noses', 'big lips' and of course the 'big bums' etc. making them no different from those in Africa. Also there are predominantly more dark-skinned blacks in the Caribbean than there are of light-skinned.

That's all true and some good point although it has to be said that african americans do have a very different genetic makeup to africans and caribbeans (with some exceptions eg. sierra leone, liberia). Very few black american families don't have some caucasian ancestors, and they are often different from those in the caribbean and africa ie. often irish, scottish and german rather than british, french and spanish.
Reply 585

Did I miss something, when did the Spanish invade Nigeria?
Reply 586

Are you talking about caribbeans and African Americans?
Original post by Ebuwa
Did I miss something, when did the Spanish invade Nigeria?

Perhaps 'invade' was an incorrect term to use, not literally, but Spanish and Portuguese explorers in the 17th century began to trade in Nigeria and they actually named the port in which they traded Lagos (that's how it got it's name). After that some settled in the port of Lagos while a slave trade industry consisting of Nigerians enforced.
That's all true and some good point although it has to be said that african americans do have a very different genetic makeup to africans and caribbeans (with some exceptions eg. sierra leone, liberia). Very few black american families don't have some caucasian ancestors, and they are often different from those in the caribbean and africa ie. often irish, scottish and german rather than british, french and spanish.

But even then, white blood from three/four generations ago or more doesn't really have a large effect on the appearance of African Americans, however yes the genetic makeup in some cases is different to that to Africans. However an example is Snoop Dogg, he took a DNA test and was found to be 7% white, but when you look at him he looks like that of an african.

Could someone please define to me what a pure african is supposed to look like? These limitations are causing faulty judgements to be made.
But even then, white blood from three/four generations ago or more doesn't really have a large effect on the appearance of African Americans, however yes the genetic makeup in some cases is different to that to Africans. However an example is Snoop Dogg, he took a DNA test and was found to be 7% white, but when you look at him he looks like that of an african.

Could someone please define to me what a pure african is supposed to look like? These limitations are causing faulty judgements to be made.

Yeah I suppose that's true.

But yeah at the end of the day I guess that's the point, "african" isn't a race it's just a broad category of people from the same continent with a dark same skin tone so you can't really say what an "african looks like".

I read it ages ago in an American newspaper and a scientific journal done by a black American professor.

What you say has no basis. It shows a distinct lack of understanding of african features, probably because you are born here and your family is from the caribbean, therefore you have lost the culture/language of africans. I have been to Uganda several times and I can notice the difference myself in appearance of East and West Africans. So, if they look different, clearly Afro Americans and Carribean people will look more different due to mixing over many generations. Yes not all will, but most are not genetically pure black. Testing would clearly show that.
I read it ages ago in an American newspaper and a scientific journal done by a black American professor.

What you say has no basis. It shows a distinct lack of understanding of african features, probably because you are born here and your family is from the caribbean, therefore you have lost the culture/language of africans. I have been to Uganda several times and I can notice the difference myself in appearance of East and West Africans. So, if they look different, clearly Afro Americans and Carribean people will look more different due to mixing over many generations. Yes not all will, but most are not genetically pure black. Testing would clearly show that.

Yeah there is a pretty huge difference in the typical features seen in Ugandans and Nigerians for example.

It is purely down to exposure, the more you are exposed to a group of people the more you are able to distinguish their characteristics. Most Nigerians can tell what particular tribe someone is from based on their appearance, "she looks very Yoruba" etc. etc.
Yeah there is a pretty huge difference in the typical features seen in Ugandans and Nigerians for example.

It is purely down to exposure, the more you are exposed to a group of people the more you are able to distinguish their characteristics. Most Nigerians can tell what particular tribe someone is from based on their appearance, "she looks very Yoruba" etc. etc.

True. My mate is from hausa tribe of nigeria lol. They have quite intense debates about their tribes!
Reply 593
Not to mention mixed race ones. At least have pictures representative of everyday black women.

This thread is a massive fail.

Most of the women are posted are brown skinned to dark skinned and are not mixed at all. There are lightskinned black people that aren't mixed either. :rolleyes:
Reply 594

Reply 595

I dont descriminate, where all in the same boat!
Stop hating and start appreciating! :smile:
Reply 597

You just made my day :cool:
Yeah I suppose that's true.

But yeah at the end of the day I guess that's the point, "african" isn't a race it's just a broad category of people from the same continent with a dark same skin tone so you can't really say what an "african looks like".

Not all africans have a dark skin tone. I think it's stupid when people assume a true african is of Alek Wek's skin tone. There are different climates in Africa and people have certain amounts of melanin according to those climates, it's called 'adaptation'. But yes I agree that no one can really define what an african looks like, that's something that is in the eye of the beholder.

Latest