The Student Room Group

A2 Sociology OCR Predictions?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Oh my godddd.
Dreading the exam on monday ive only just started to revise for it today, ive been putting all my focus into psychology!
Ive barely been to any lessons because of personal issues aswell!

So can anyone PRETTY PLEASE give me some tips on what to revise. Panic mode :frown:
Original post by raari
Oh my godddd.
Dreading the exam on monday ive only just started to revise for it today, ive been putting all my focus into psychology!
Ive barely been to any lessons because of personal issues aswell!

So can anyone PRETTY PLEASE give me some tips on what to revise. Panic mode :frown:

forms of feminism and what they say about gender inequality in employment.
age is really short and is likely to come up so try and learn about that.

then learn some basic facts for gender/class/age inequality for the short questions.

then of course the advantages/disadvantages of various research methods for that section. should not be too hard - a lot of it is just based on memory
Reply 42
Original post by arsenal111
can bet my life ethnicity wont come up as it has done in the last two exams (this jan and last summer)

exam boards have to show they're testing a variety of the syllabus which is why I have high hopes for age coming up

THANK GOD FOR THAT! Do you think it's worth going over? For evaluative purposes? I reaaallyy cant be bothered thoughh, I only just started revision today aha, didn't realise the content would be this heavy...
Original post by liamcol123
THANK GOD FOR THAT! Do you think it's worth going over? For evaluative purposes? I reaaallyy cant be bothered thoughh, I only just started revision today aha, didn't realise the content would be this heavy...

I'm literally not touching it at all haha - only doing sc, gender and age with heavy revision on age/gender as these didnt come up in jan. majorly messed up if im wrong but I'm trying my luck. too much content to revise everything perfectly
Reply 44
Original post by liamcol123

You don't even have to glance at ethnicity, it's not gonna come up, and even if it does you have a choice to not do it anyway and just do the other question.
bit stuck with research methods at the moment as we went through it realllyyy quickly in class like 3 months ago

if for example the question is on a type of sampling - in your answer do you need to refer to sampling just within the source or should you refer to other sociological studies which have used that type of sampling?
Reply 46
bit stuck with research methods at the moment as we went through it realllyyy quickly in class like 3 months ago

if for example the question is on a type of sampling - in your answer do you need to refer to sampling just within the source or should you refer to other sociological studies which have used that type of sampling?

We had a trip to a school in Hertford for a lecture with the cheif examiner (he wrote the questions), nice guy. He said any possible question on sampling will be on sampling as a whole for example "Outline and asses why socioloists use non random sampling in socio research". He said they won't ask a question based eg snowball sampling or stratified random sampling, they will only use the umbrella terms.

To answer the question, I'd definitely adress the source material a few times, and also chuck in another study or two if you have any but it's not a problem if you don't (he gave us real exam answers which got A grades which didn't mention any otheir own studies). Mention what type of sampling was used in the source, list the advantages of using it in that case, and offer alternatives in the second half of your essay, then wrap it up with a balanced conclusion.
thank you so much!

was getting worried I didnt know any other studies but thats a positive - might learn a few late tonight if I have any time

also another question

with gender inequality - I have notes on two types of female theory

one on general female inequality and its explanations (radical,liberal,postmodern,marxist and black)

and then I have notes on more specific theory for inequality in employment (weber, marx, liberal, functionalist and then post-feminist arguments (hakim)

do you think if its a broad question I should use both types of theory or just the first type of theory I mentioned.

sorry if this makes no sense
okay perhaps in more simpler terms -
if it doesnt mention the word employment in the question should you mention weber and functionalist/human capital theory within your answer or not?
Reply 49
what do you guys recon will come up for questions 1 and 2?
a lot of the talk on here has been about sampling so I'm guessing that
Reply 51
so would the question be like, Outline and explain how sampling may be used in sociological research?

How could they incorporate it for question 2

ahhh this is so annoying to revise!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 52
okay perhaps in more simpler terms -
if it doesnt mention the word employment in the question should you mention weber and functionalist/human capital theory within your answer or not?

For question 4 if it's gender it will be something along the lines of either Outline and Asses Sociological views on gender inequality. In that case, literally write all the theory you know on gender inequality as it's all relevant. If the question is Outline and Asess feminist explanations for gender inequality, it's pretty much the same essay: Don't get confused by the wording of the question - if it's an essay on gender you will write the same information no matter how it's worded, you just need to fiddle with the structure.

So if it asks for feminist explanations, begin with the feminist theories like liberal, marxist, black, radical etc. Then list criticisms of these theories as you go along after you've finished each one (Marxist feminism can't explain how women ended up with domestic responsibility in the first place...). Then move onto "Functionalists offer a completely different approach to gender inequality. Parsons came up with his sex role theory.......".

So basically you can use the functionalist, weber dual market theories etc to evaluate the feminist methods :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Surfacing
For question 4 if it's gender it will be something along the lines of either Outline and Asses Sociological views on gender inequality. In that case, literally write all the theory you know on gender inequality as it's all relevant. If the question is Outline and Asess feminist explanations for gender inequality, it's pretty much the same essay: Don't get confused by the wording of the question - if it's an essay on gender you will write the same information no matter how it's worded, you just need to fiddle with the structure.

So if it asks for feminist explanations, begin with the feminist theories like liberal, marxist, black, radical etc. Then list criticisms of these theories as you go along after you've finished each one (Marxist feminism can't explain how women ended up with domestic responsibility in the first place...). Then move onto "Functionalists offer a completely different approach to gender inequality. Parsons came up with his sex role theory.......".

So basically you can use the functionalist, weber dual market theories etc to evaluate the feminist methods :smile:

thanks so much

going to plan a few titles now just to be sure of it
was just getting confused with how to structure it

and if its implicitly on employment talk about the radical,marxist, liberal, black view etc.. and eval with preference theory, functionalism and weber?
(b) Assess feminist explanations of gender inequality in the workplace. [40]

thats what im looking at in the specimen which is getting me hung up on the workplace.

how would you structure a plan to this?
Reply 55
(b) Assess feminist explanations of gender inequality in the workplace. [40]

thats what im looking at in the specimen which is getting me hung up on the workplace.

how would you structure a plan to this?

Pretty much every gender inequality is about the workplace anyway. Functionalism is about the pay gap, dual labour market is about women getting worse jobs, liberal feminism is about women being housewives excluded from the workplace, marx fem is about women being exluded from the workplace to suit capitalism and being the reserve army of labour.

So yeah, don't be stumped by the fact that the question says workplace, it's still all relevant to the theories which you listed earlier, just gotta try and get your head round what it's asking. It can be pretty confusing! :wink:
Reply 56
Does anyone think longitdinal studies will come up?? If so do you need to know all the pros and cons? Or can you get a way with not knowing all the strenghs and weeknesses?
Original post by Surfacing
Pretty much every gender inequality is about the workplace anyway. Functionalism is about the pay gap, dual labour market is about women getting worse jobs, liberal feminism is about women being housewives excluded from the workplace, marx fem is about women being exluded from the workplace to suit capitalism and being the reserve army of labour.

So yeah, don't be stumped by the fact that the question says workplace, it's still all relevant to the theories which you listed earlier, just gotta try and get your head round what it's asking. It can be pretty confusing! :wink:

cheers for that

with functionalism you mentioned the pay gap.

what does this involved?

my notes for it are mainly on parsons talking about the instrumental/expressive roles and women suited to the workplace
Reply 58
cheers for that

with functionalism you mentioned the pay gap.

what does this involved?

my notes for it are mainly on parsons talking about the instrumental/expressive roles and women suited to the workplace

Yep you're right, Parsons argued that males take a more instrumental role in the family ie go to the workplace while females stay at home with kids. Parsons said that it is for this reason that it isn't surprising the females get payed less, as they're less suited to the workplace.
Reply 59
I literally have no idea to revise this in a way that would give me good exam technique, it's all so broad! What would you guys reccomend? Like, pick and choose 2 important looking theories for each school of thought (Ya know, functionalism, marxism etc.), or just work my a*se off remembering the entire lot... Seriously, any help would be appreciated, I'm absoloutley bricking it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending