The Student Room Group

A Level English Lit - is it worth it?

Hi! I'm planning on doing Law at uni, and I've narrowed my A-levels down to three options:

History, Sociology and Psychology
History, Sociology and English Lit
History, English Lit and Psychology

My sixth form doesn't let you take 4 A-levels, so I was wondering if English lit is worth it? I've been told it's an easy one to balls up, and that I'd be better off doing History Sociology and Psychology as they have more range and are all, or would be, easier for me than Lit. I'm predicted an 8 in both Lit and Sociology, so any advice would be appreciated.
Original post by wh1zzer
Hi! I'm planning on doing Law at uni, and I've narrowed my A-levels down to three options:

My sixth form doesn't let you take 4 A-levels, so I was wondering if English lit is worth it? I've been told it's an easy one to balls up, and that I'd be better off doing History Sociology and Psychology as they have more range and are all, or would be, easier for me than Lit. I'm predicted an 8 in both Lit and Sociology, so any advice would be appreciated.

Hey I think it’s fair that your older siblings advised you against taking lit. Not taking it would not be frowned upon by unis. My friend got a 9 for GCSE lit and A* predicted for A levels but she ended up getting a B (1 mark away from an A). The grading is harsher than ever and even if you particularly enjoy the subject now it gets more demanding at A levels (coursework, 40+ poems, novel analysis etc)
Original post by Tulipbloom
Hey I think it’s fair that your older siblings advised you against taking lit. Not taking it would not be frowned upon by unis. My friend got a 9 for GCSE lit and A* predicted for A levels but she ended up getting a B (1 mark away from an A). The grading is harsher than ever and even if you particularly enjoy the subject now it gets more demanding at A levels (coursework, 40+ poems, novel analysis etc)

did she slack off towards the end? or how come she came out with a B? this just freaked me out icl.
Reply 3
Original post by wh1zzer

I do English lit and I find it pretty cool! It’s definitely difficult at the beginning since you have to write in a much more academic register (I got a 9 at GCSE, a B for my first exam, and am now working at an A* predicted). Some people really struggle with adapting, and I’ve heard Sociology is easier. English Lit also has coursework and history does as well, so perhaps you could factor that in. (Since both are 3000 words minimum, you’d end up writing around 6000 and could get stressed over that.)
jesus it doesn't help that i'm doing spanish, history, english and politics (im fluent in spanish tho). would you say an A* in english lit (ocr) is manageable?
Original post by klnlljkklhklll
did she slack off towards the end? or how come she came out with a B? this just freaked me out icl.

She worked harder than ever actually. She was on track to do PPE at Oxford and was always the top scorer in lit. The grade inflation for one was quite... (last year). I thought it had to do with the fact that she did her exams at 7 at night following another exam previously.
She worked harder than ever actually. She was on track to do PPE at Oxford and was always the top scorer in lit. The grade inflation for one was quite... (last year). I thought it had to do with the fact that she did her exams at 7 at night following another exam previously.

wdym 7 at night following another exam previously?
did she get go to oxford in the end?
wdym 7 at night following another exam previously?
did she get go to oxford in the end?

Am not from the UK so basically the peeps in the UK take the exam in the morning which for us is night time. She had another exam before her lit exam (pretty content heavy and a different exam board, hence the timing). Yep she's at Oxford now I think all unis took into account the grade inflation last year (and maybe her place was secured regardless as she scored A*s in her other 3 subjects).
Am not from the UK so basically the peeps in the UK take the exam in the morning which for us is night time. She had another exam before her lit exam (pretty content heavy and a different exam board, hence the timing). Yep she's at Oxford now I think all unis took into account the grade inflation last year (and maybe her place was secured regardless as she scored A*s in her other 3 subjects).

what subjects did she do?
what subjects did she do?

Maths, Econs, Lit, Philosophy (I think), and she did an EPQ.
jesus that's sm wth. do you know by any chance if she did extra curriculars asw?
jesus that's sm wth. do you know by any chance if she did extra curriculars asw?

It's kinda the norm at our school. EPQ was mandatory and half our cohort did 4 A levels + EPQ. Yep she did a few CCAs mainly World Scholars, literature club, Latin club/tutoring, Econs club, and she has a proper gig outside of school (modelling/fashion).
It's kinda the norm at our school. EPQ was mandatory and half our cohort did 4 A levels + EPQ. Yep she did a few CCAs mainly World Scholars, literature club, Latin club/tutoring, Econs club, and she has a proper gig outside of school (modelling/fashion).

what is world scholars?
what is world scholars?

Debate
did she do any sports or music?? the thing is i feel like i lack music extracurriculars and sports and i feel like that will bring me down compared to other ppls personal statements
Reply 15
did she do any sports or music?? the thing is i feel like i lack music extracurriculars and sports and i feel like that will bring me down compared to other ppls personal statements

I do have a teacher at my school who went to Cambridge, so although I don't have much insight I did ask him about this before! He said that they appreciate supercurriculars (so, additional academic things like a latin club for law, as an example) much more than normal extracurriculars. So, he said it's better to do extra reading and attend online courses and lectures over just doing music/sports. However, that was just one experience. Maybe ask around on another forum here? :smile:

Not really she isn't the sporty type and she played the piano (ABRSM grade 7) but she wasn't apart of any music CCAs. Don't worry too much abt this too much. I was a lil worried too when I wrote my personal statement that all I had under extracurriculars were volunteering + dance classes + mentoring but really by the time I got to this section, I was abt to surpass my word limit. Quality over quantity they say.

Quick Reply

Latest