The Student Room Group

Japanese Language/Studies Applicants for 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shnibbles
When did you hear from Brookes? They haven't even acknowledged my application :/

I got an email yesterday afternoon asking if I took GCSEs or not as I didn't bother including any in my application.

If it makes you feel any better the lady specifically mentioned it was the Japanese Studies with Computer Science course she was considering me for, I've not heard anything regarding the Japanese Studies course. (which is my first choice) :smile:
Reply 101
Ah fair enough, I've been looking around and it looks like no one applying for Brookes has heard from them yet ¬_¬
It's nice to see so many people applying for Japanese.

Original post by RichardJapanese
Oioi fellow Jap applicants! I'm the only person to ever apply for Japanese from my college, so I'd love some friends! ( As desperate as that sounds).

Any Ghibli fans? I own every single one :wink:

Hi RichardJapanese :biggrin:
I'm also the only person who has ever applied for Japanese at my college!
I'm a big fan of Studio Ghibli and have nearly all too except Ponyo :frown: Which film is your favourite?

Original post by Rei_Rei

Howl's Moving Castle is my favourite Ghibli :colondollar:

That's my favourite too. :biggrin:
Original post by MyNeighbourTotoro

That's my favourite too. :biggrin:

<3
I have a Howl plushie my friend made, 'cause I love him so much.
And I make and sell fluffy little soot gremlin plushies. :biggrin: It's a kickass film.
I wish my college did Japanese, they do the night classes but I've been told that's just speech recital and basic stuff you would want to learn if you was in Japan for a holiday or so.
Original post by VickyDoodle
<3
I have a Howl plushie my friend made, 'cause I love him so much.
And I make and sell fluffy little soot gremlin plushies. :biggrin: It's a kickass film.

Aww sounds cute :smile:
Only a few shops near me sell studio ghibli plushies, mainly Totoro, but they're really expensive :frown:
I'd love to be able to make them myself but i'm not very good at crafts. :colondollar:
I'm not sure what my favourite Ghibli is, but Laputa, Howl's Moving Castle and Nausicaa are up there. Whispers of the Heart is a nice film too, shame the director died so young, he could have made some excellent films if that was anything to go by.
Aww sounds cute :smile:
Only a few shops near me sell studio ghibli plushies, mainly Totoro, but they're really expensive :frown:
I'd love to be able to make them myself but i'm not very good at crafts. :colondollar:

Totoro ones are ridiculous, I've seen teeny ones for like £30 u_u

Spoiler

Obviously my lil' guy isn't the fanciest, but he's so adorable!~

And here's a soot gremlin with weird eyes, but it's the prototype. ^_^ He was just made using fur I had lying around (as a cosplayer, I hoard fabric) and a pattern made from a juggling ball.

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ZombieYoshi
I'm not sure what my favourite Ghibli is, but Laputa, Howl's Moving Castle and Nausicaa are up there. Whispers of the Heart is a nice film too, shame the director died so young, he could have made some excellent films if that was anything to go by.

Yes i think Whisper of the heart is a great one as well. I think most of them are good really. :biggrin:
Totoro ones are ridiculous, I've seen teeny ones for like £30 u_u

Spoiler

Obviously my lil' guy isn't the fanciest, but he's so adorable!~

And here's a soot gremlin with weird eyes, but it's the prototype. ^_^ He was just made using fur I had lying around (as a cosplayer, I hoard fabric) and a pattern made from a juggling ball.

Spoiler

Cute! You've inspired me to try to have a go myself! I might go and buy some cheap fabric at the weekend. :smile: Although mine will probably turn out awful. :colondollar:
Cute! You've inspired me to try to have a go myself! I might go and buy some cheap fabric at the weekend. :smile: Although mine will probably turn out awful. :colondollar:

Do it!~
It's hard to make a soot gremlin turn out awful. x3 It's sewing a circle, but doesn't matter if it isn't perfect 'cause all the fluffyness covers it up!

Also... I knew the Japanese were crazy. but.. this is a mind**** and a half. 0_o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QbAXXXOJF8&feature=related
(edited 12 years ago)
Is it bad if I didn't think the song was actually that bad?
I liked it...
It just confused me. x3
Reply 113
Do it!~
It's hard to make a soot gremlin turn out awful. x3 It's sewing a circle, but doesn't matter if it isn't perfect 'cause all the fluffyness covers it up!

Also... I knew the Japanese were crazy. but.. this is a mind**** and a half. 0_o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QbAXXXOJF8&feature=related

Nothing beats this song for mindF-ery http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzC4hFK5P3g I hear it in my dreams...
Original post by Rei_Rei
Nothing beats this song for mindF-ery http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzC4hFK5P3g I hear it in my dreams...

So this is what LSD is like...
Reply 115
Original post by Rei_Rei
Congrats! :biggrin:

Thankyou :biggrin:
Reply 116
Original post by RichardJapanese
Oioi fellow Jap applicants! I'm the only person to ever apply for Japanese from my college, so I'd love some friends! ( As desperate as that sounds).

Applied to Oxford, Sheffield, Leeds and SOAS ( Straight Japanese) and Japanese and Politics at SOAS.

I've only heard back from Oxford, SOAS and Sheffield, and i'm about to send off my written work for Oxford, has anyone got any examples of what they're sending off as written work? I was going to send off two English essays...

I'm not into J-pop but I love Japanese film and literature. I probably don't know what I've got myself in for with the language but I love it, and it's my dream to learn it.

The only language qualification I have is a German GCSE ( C ), but there were staffing issues which have been noted.

Any Ghibli fans? I own every single one :wink:

Hey, yeah I'm the only one applying for Japanese in my school too :L Love the weird looks I get from everyone when I say what I'm going to study
Love Ghibli, I'm gonna be mainstream and say Spirited Away is my favourite :biggrin:
Reply 117
Hello people, future Japanese students :smile:

I have just started my course at Newcastle Uni a couple of weeks ago, it's Japanese and Cultural Studies and I can very much recommend this course!! You get six hours of Japanese language a week (which is plenty!!) and the rest of the time you spend on optional modules.

I'd just like encourage people to study Japanese, it's such a beautiful language, just make sure to learn your Hiragana and Katakana before you come to Uni, it'll help you a great deal.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask!!

hitokage ^-^
Original post by hitokage
Hello people, future Japanese students :smile:

I have just started my course at Newcastle Uni a couple of weeks ago, it's Japanese and Cultural Studies and I can very much recommend this course!! You get six hours of Japanese language a week (which is plenty!!) and the rest of the time you spend on optional modules.

I'd just like encourage people to study Japanese, it's such a beautiful language, just make sure to learn your Hiragana and Katakana before you come to Uni, it'll help you a great deal.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask!!

hitokage ^-^

what accom are you at? :3 its the only bit of the uni I'm not 100% about..is it nice?~

Hey there, I'm applying for Japanese too:
Japanese at Oxford, English and Japanese at Oxford Brookes, International business and Japanese at Birmingham and Japanese at SOAS.

Not heard from Brookes yet :frown: Heard from SOAS today though (at long last), they even decided to send me the same email twice :rolleyes:

Same as someone mentioned above, don't really know what to send for written work, I'm doing R.S, English Literature and I.T A levels and have two really good R.S essays, but don't know whether I should be sending one English and one R.S :s-smilie: (this is for Oxford).

So, any ideas?

Well they told me that two english essays are fine! ( They're on contrasting topics )

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending