The Student Room Group

Art or Business A Level

I'm going into sixth form next year and I know it's a little ambitious but my dream is being a successful fashion designer for womenswear. I'm thinking of taking Art, Textiles, ICT and Business. But on the other hand, I have English Literature as a reserve because that's something I've got A* in and I thought if designing doesn't get me anywhere, I can always go into journalism.

My problem is that I have heard that Uni's think that Business is a "soft" subject so I'm really not sure whether to choose Business or Literature...

Any chance you could help? Thanks :biggrin:
Reply 1
Original post by FreckledFace
I'm going into sixth form next year and I know it's a little ambitious but my dream is being a successful fashion designer for womenswear. I'm thinking of taking Art, Textiles, ICT and Business. But on the other hand, I have English Literature as a reserve because that's something I've got A* in and I thought if designing doesn't get me anywhere, I can always go into journalism.

My problem is that I have heard that Uni's think that Business is a "soft" subject so I'm really not sure whether to choose Business or Literature...

Any chance you could help? Thanks :biggrin:

Woah. Taking Art & Textiles will be a HELL of a lot of work! I have so many friends just taking one who are forever falling behind and say that art/textiles means they have to compromise a lot on their other subjects. Just think about that.
Look at what you need for Uni/art college/ whatever you plan on doing after a levels, and follow that. If you want to be in fashion, you may only need textiles.
If this was the case, I would suggest doing Textiles, ICT, Business and Lit, and not taking Art.

If you really are sure you want to take both, just think about which one you prefer as a subject of of business and lit. Lit would allow you to go into fashion journalism, whereas business may help if you wanted to start a shop or something.

In the end, you really have to be doing subjects you think you can do, that you will put work into, and above all else, that you enjoy

:smile:
Reply 2
I absolutley loved art at GCSE, really it was my favourite subject, but at A level I ended up hating it. My teachers just kept telling me that I should do everything their way. Argh. And if you thought the work load was large at GCSE. Beware. Its huge and A level.

Quick Reply

Latest