Scroll to see replies

Reply 1580
Original post by ily_em
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. :smile:

Amazing book, I love it!!!!
Reply 1581
Original post by 22KT22
Amazing book, I love it!!!!

I am enjoying it so far (about 1/3 through). I saw the film last week and now I wish I'd read the book first as I know what's going to happen. I enjoy reading books and being in suspense :/ The next two books will hopefully be as good :smile:

Did you see the film? How do you think it compares to the book? So far it seems to have stuck to the book quite a lot. Now I need to find the Swedish version :colone:
Original post by Ronove
Exactly what I did! Ghostwritten is good but it's no Cloud Atlas. The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet, on the other hand, is just as wonderful. I recently bought his other books, not sure when I'll read them.

Ah I'm preffering Ghostwritten so far! I think that's because I found 'The Pacific Journal of Adam Ewing' (or whatever it was called) pretty unreadable. I'm turning into a David Mitchell fan though as I have Number9dream to read aswell :biggrin:
Original post by .Scout.
Ah I'm preffering Ghostwritten so far! I think that's because I found 'The Pacific Journal of Adam Ewing' (or whatever it was called) pretty unreadable. I'm turning into a David Mitchell fan though as I have Number9dream to read aswell :biggrin:

I loved Cloud Atlas! Although yes, the Pacific Journal was awful...
Then I read Black Swan Green, and that wasn't great.
I have Ghostwritten on my bookshelf though! Worth a read?
Original post by starxriddled
I loved Cloud Atlas! Although yes, the Pacific Journal was awful...
Then I read Black Swan Green, and that wasn't great.
I have Ghostwritten on my bookshelf though! Worth a read?

I'm only 50 pages in so far but really enjoying it so I would say that it is deffo worth a read!
Original post by .Scout.
I'm only 50 pages in so far but really enjoying it so I would say that it is deffo worth a read!

Will put it nearer the top of the pile then!
Reply 1586
Original post by ily_em
I am enjoying it so far (about 1/3 through). I saw the film last week and now I wish I'd read the book first as I know what's going to happen. I enjoy reading books and being in suspense :/ The next two books will hopefully be as good :smile:

Did you see the film? How do you think it compares to the book? So far it seems to have stuck to the book quite a lot. Now I need to find the Swedish version :colone:

Only seen the sweedish film which stuck to the book very closely... if not rather too graphically.
Reply 1587
I'm reading Harry Potter and the Philospher's stone - In Spanish
Currently steaming through Henry James' Portrait of a Lady. I'm enjoying it, but it's certainly not amazing in terms of general interest.

I do, however, find his use of language absolutely enthralling. He really does come from what you'd imagine to be the most English nook, cranny or crevice imaginable.
I've just read The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and now I'm reading Falling Star by Diana Dempsey :smile:
Next on my list of pleasure reads are my mountain of James Patterson books (he's my fave author at the moment!) and The Return of Sherlock Holmes.
In addition, for my exam next week I'm re-reading Pride and Prejudice and putting the feminist and gender theories onto it. Also have a few books to read for the modules that start 23rd Jan, but I can read them anytime between now and April so that's okay.
Eeee, I love reading! :biggrin:
Looking for Alaska, after hearing many great things, I finally got it :h: and it is just really good. But not long enough, I don't want it to end :tongue:
Reply 1591
Currently reading: Power, Sex, Suicide Mitochondria and the Meaning of Life by Nick Lane. Really interesting!
Not reading anything major at the moment but I'm dipping in and out of my new Sherlock Holmes anthology I got for my birthday, and my god is it brilliant. I've read A Study In Scarlet and a couple of the short stories in it and I haven't been disappointed by a single one yet.
Original post by Aleandcynicism
Not reading anything major at the moment but I'm dipping in and out of my new Sherlock Holmes anthology I got for my birthday, and my god is it brilliant. I've read A Study In Scarlet and a couple of the short stories in it and I haven't been disappointed by a single one yet.

nice, i've been thinking about getting the sherlock collection and was talking about it with a guy i go to college with, because he has them and says they're good, so they're getting added to my list of books to read in the near future that is about 538745475 books long!

i'm reading kafka's the trial at the moment.
I'm halfway through reading 'Room' by Emma Donoghue. It's very good so far.
Original post by inadilemma
I'm halfway through reading 'Room' by Emma Donoghue. It's very good so far.

I found it a very interesting book. I think the author has been very clever giving the narrative voice to a child, I think it gives a poignant sadness to the tone without being too graphic or distressing, which I feel it might have been had it been told by the mother's perspective.

Happy reading! :smile:
Mao: The Unknown Story

Not exactly gripping but its for college so I suppose its worth doing.
Original post by BlondeBookworm
I found it a very interesting book. I think the author has been very clever giving the narrative voice to a child, I think it gives a poignant sadness to the tone without being too graphic or distressing, which I feel it might have been had it been told by the mother's perspective.

Happy reading! :smile:

My thoughts exactly. It would have been far too easy to give the narrative to the mother too. Can't wait to finish it :smile:
Just finished The Fear Index by Robert Harris. Sooo good, recomend it to all :love:

Who is the easiest to get into; Plato or Aristotle?

<3 x
Original post by LETSJaM
Just finished The Fear Index by Robert Harris. Sooo good, recomend it to all :love:

Who is the easiest to get into; Plato or Aristotle?

&lt;3 x

I'd say Aristotle but id say its more personal choice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending