The Student Room Group

Queen's Commerce v.s. McGill Commerce

I accepted both offers, but which one should i choose and why?
Reply 1
Queen's Business program is good, but McGill's reputation wins it all.
You'll have way more opportunities with a McGill degree, while Queen's is very good as far as Ontario is concerned.
Reply 2
Queen's commerce is better, but Montreal is a better city/experience and may have more international prestige. But, strictly speaking, Queens is better academics wise
Reply 3
Original post by Harris
Queen's commerce is better, but Montreal is a better city/experience and may have more international prestige. But, strictly speaking, Queens is better academics wise

exactly? ......but which one shouuld i choose :P

Im set on McGill atm and i accepted Queens as well as a back up.... but would i be in any disadvantage at the future?
Reply 4
I've heard that Queen's commerce is one of the best business programs in Canada. I have tons of friends who have graduated from that program and they all have consulting jobs and great employment opportunities within weeks of graduation. They were even lined up for jobs in top companies across Canada in their 4th year. I know for a fact that these companies do major recruiting from Queen's.
I have never heard about anything from McGill..not even the commerce program but I know that McGill is the best comprehensive university in Canada, with the best Arts and Science faculty due to the large number of programs and courses available (Maclean's rankings)

Secondly, Queen's has a more intimate environment that you cannot get in McGill or any massively large university. The student-professor ratio is excellent in Queen's and they know you by your name rather than your student number. That said, it's way easier to communicate with professors, get reference letters post graduation and have tons of opportunities for conferences, consulting internships throughout the year etc. I have heard so many awesome things about the Queen's commerce program. The program is really hands-on, so you have relevant experience in the business world even before you graduate!Sadly, I don't know much about the McGill program so I can't help out there unfortunately.

My advice, do some research about the two programs and find some key things that you like about each program and decide from there. Queen's has this program called QSAP (Queen's Student Ambassador Program) where current students can talk to new undergraduates about their experiences in different programs, university life, city life, what to expect etc. I'm sure you would be paired up with a student soon who knows about the program. Hope that helps!
Reply 5
Original post by Lianna
I've heard that Queen's commerce is one of the best business programs in Canada. I have tons of friends who have graduated from that program and they all have consulting jobs and great employment opportunities within weeks of graduation. They were even lined up for jobs in top companies across Canada in their 4th year. I know for a fact that these companies do major recruiting from Queen's.
I have never heard about anything from McGill..not even the commerce program but I know that McGill is the best comprehensive university in Canada, with the best Arts and Science faculty due to the large number of programs and courses available (Maclean's rankings)

Secondly, Queen's has a more intimate environment that you cannot get in McGill or any massively large university. The student-professor ratio is excellent in Queen's and they know you by your name rather than your student number. That said, it's way easier to communicate with professors, get reference letters post graduation and have tons of opportunities for conferences, consulting internships throughout the year etc. I have heard so many awesome things about the Queen's commerce program. The program is really hands-on, so you have relevant experience in the business world even before you graduate!Sadly, I don't know much about the McGill program so I can't help out there unfortunately.

My advice, do some research about the two programs and find some key things that you like about each program and decide from there. Queen's has this program called QSAP (Queen's Student Ambassador Program) where current students can talk to new undergraduates about their experiences in different programs, university life, city life, what to expect etc. I'm sure you would be paired up with a student soon who knows about the program. Hope that helps!

McGill isn't a comprehensive university:
http://oncampus.macleans.ca/education/2010/11/10/our-20th-annual-university-rankings/

And the ranking of the business programs in Canada goes like:
1- Richard Ivey (UWO)
2- Rotman at Uoft, Desautels at McGill, Queen's Business School
3- Schulich at York
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by frfd000000
McGill isn't a comprehensive university:
http://oncampus.macleans.ca/education/2010/11/10/our-20th-annual-university-rankings/

And the ranking of the business programs in Canada goes like:
1- Richard Ivey (UWO)
2- Rotman at Uoft, Desautels at McGill, Queen's Business School
3- Schulich at York

Oops! Sorry about the wrong info. I thought that I had read that somewhere.
Original post by Lianna
I've heard that Queen's commerce is one of the best business programs in Canada.

Queen's and McGill are both VERY LOVELY unis, in terms of atmosphere, location, and a few other considerations.

However, Queen's is UNDENIABLY superior to McGill for business programs.

As someone who lives and goes to school in Canada (Year 11), I have attended many university fairs and talked to many schoolmates going into business (my school won 1st place at DECA internationals [Business Law and Ethics if anyone's interested], so we are a high-achieving, business-minded lot :wink:).

The consensus is this: there are two places worth considering if you're seriously interested in going to a good business program and want to achieve in a career afterwards...

Queen's and York University's Schulich School of Business.

I have nothing against McGill, I think it's a wonderful uni, but in terms of academia and ranking of the program, Queen's for sure.

To end: I have a close friend who will be going into Queen's commerce this September (accepted). If you have any specific questions for a prospective undergrad, I can definitely ask her!

ETA: Some more information on the other side, McGill...
McGill's BCom prospectus notes that 35% of its student body is international, 40% quebec, and 25% rest of canada. They also have an international summer program: http://www.mcgill.ca/desautels/international-summer/
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by punctuation
Queen's and McGill are both VERY LOVELY unis, in terms of atmosphere, location, and a few other considerations.

As someone who lives and goes to school in Canada (Year 11), I have attended many university fairs and talked to many schoolmates going into business (my school won 1st place at DECA internationals [Business Law and Ethics if anyone's interested], so we are a high-achieving, business-minded lot :wink:).

The consensus is this: there are two places worth considering if you're seriously interested in going to a good business program and want to achieve in a career afterwards...

I have nothing against McGill, I think it's a wonderful uni, but in terms of academia and ranking of the program, Queen's for sure.

To end: I have a close friend who will be going into Queen's commerce this September (accepted). If you have any specific questions for a prospective undergrad, I can definitely ask her!

McGill's BCom prospectus notes that 35% of its student body is international, 40% quebec, and 25% rest of canada. They also have an international summer program: http://www.mcgill.ca/desautels/international-summer/

Thank you very much for your info but my mind is set. I accepted both Queens and McGill, but i will hopefully go to McGill provided i get decent IB final exam grades.

Ill look to take one of their challenging and well reputed course called Honours in Economics and Finance and will hopefully maintain a good GPA there.

Oh yea, and btw you missed out RICHARD IVEY. The best one along with Queens. And from my research, i think that McGill's business program is better than Schulich. I also dislike the atmosphere at Queens and Ivey, and i despise the 2+2 system which Ivey has.
Queen's definitely has the better business program, while McGill has a better reputation internationally and as a whole.
I think Queens Commerce Program better than McGill's, but McGill has a better reputation:smile: Queens is generally more exclusive in the sense that the class sizes are smaller so there is more individualized attention, whereas, McGill, the classes are generally larger but there is a lot more opportunity in regards to resources.
Original post by punctuation

Well, McGill's Desautels has a bigger funding than Queen's Business School. It also received the biggest donation ever among the Canadian business schools in 2008. McGill's MBA is ranked in the FT top 50. Queen's program isn't.
McGill's international partnerships are way more prestigious than Queen's (in the US, Wharton at UPenn for McGill vs. The Washington Center for Queen's).
The starting salaries are the same (it depends on the year, sometimes McGill has the edge, sometimes Queen's has it), but the growth potential for Desautels' graduates is way better.
Also, Henry Mintzberg has a chair at Desautels. He's THE man.
McGill has a true international recognition, while Queen's is virtually unknown outside of Canada.

Also, McGill's BCom is more selective & receives about 2 times more applicantions than Queen's Commerce program.
This may be caused by Queen's lack of international visibility, but still, to highlight these figures:

McGill's Bcom has a 13% admission rate, being more selective than UWO Ivey's undergraduate program, Queen's BCom, UofT Rotman and York's Schulich.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
Quality ^
Reply 13
Original post by frfd000000
Well, McGill's Desautels has a bigger funding than Queen's Business School. It also received the biggest donation ever among the Canadian business schools in 2008. McGill's MBA is ranked in the FT top 50. Queen's program isn't.
McGill's international partnerships are way more prestigious than Queen's (in the US, Wharton at UPenn for McGill vs. The Washington Center for Queen's).
The starting salaries are the same (it depends on the year, sometimes McGill has the edge, sometimes Queen's has it), but the growth potential for Desautels' graduates is way better.
Also, Henry Mintzberg has a chair at Desautels. He's THE man.
McGill has a true international recognition, while Queen's is virtually unknown outside of Canada.

Also, McGill's BCom is more selective & receives about 2 times more applicantions than Queen's Commerce program.
This may be caused by Queen's lack of international visibility, but still, to highlight these figures:

McGill's Bcom has a 13% admission rate, being more selective than UWO Ivey's undergraduate program, Queen's BCom, UofT Rotman and York's Schulich.

This sums it up really well.

McGill Management is just better overall, plus the city and nightlife is way better. I'm even coming up to Montreal for their frosh this year it's that good
Reply 14
Queen's Commerce has an 8% acceptance rate. McGill has twice the applications, and more than twice Queen's Commerce's class size.

Everything else you said are selling point for McGill but Queen's is undeniably more selective, and the caliber of students and network you get is incredible since politicians (Stephen Harper), and famous figures (Richard Ivey), send their children to Queen's Commerce. Also, due to the size of Queen's, alumni are much friendlier to you because of the exclusivity and small community feel of Queen's.
As someone from Ontario, in Ontario we say Ivey and Queens are top for business undergraduate programs.

McGill probably has a better international rep though. I don't think you will go wrong with either, but definitely if you want the "local opinion" its usually Ivey + Queens and then McGill, UBC, Schulich and UofT.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending