The Student Room Group

The Magnificently Revamped Superduper Shiny Revision Thread 2011/12

Scroll to see replies

The panic is setting in now! 7 exams left! aghh..
Woohoo new thread! :biggrin: This is majorly exciting!!
Good luck all having exam!
Reply 23
Yes.
I did quite a lot today. Not much chemistry though..

A2 Chem: Organic synthesis and reactions (some). Acids and Bases, bond angles
A2 Bio: Photosynthesis - Structure and role of chloroplasts and the light-dependent stage
A2 Psych: Psychology and science debate.
Damn, missed the end of the old thread.

Ah well...

Just got back from a party, do a bit of English before bed...
Original post by Pensivedore
So far today I have:

Made the Roman religion notes
Attempted quote memorisation
Made the support and opposition quote sheets

I still have to:

Do some MODE terminology stuff
Focus on opposition to Augustus notes
MUST memorise restoring the republic/ powers and honours quotes
Take a stab at the rest of the religion notes (not litteraly): The moral laws of 18 BC
Contemporaries: Virgil and Horace reliablity
Restoration: Merivel's realtionship with Celia.

All nighter, here I come!

Still not finished, but I WILL. I'm going to tackle the quotes memorisation now. Those quotes are so evil.
Original post by Wisham
So another 10000 before the exams finish? :tongue:

More. 20,000 at least. :woo:
Reply 27
:yawn: Tomorrow will be a more productive day. I hope...

I still have to:

Do some MODE terminology stuff
Focus on opposition to Augustus notes
MUST memorise restoring the republic/ powers and honours quotes
Take a stab at the rest of the religion notes (not litteraly): The moral laws of 18 BC
Contemporaries: Virgil and Horace reliablity
Restoration: Merivel's realtionship with Celia

Still not finished, but I WILL. I'm going to tackle the quotes memorisation now. Those quotes are so evil.

It's almost 2, I should probably get some sleep now, but I'm too coffee-d out so I'll just go over the quotes again and read some more until I fall asleep.
Reply 29
Today (woke up a bit late :s-smilie: opps)

Chemistry
- Do the entire of MD
- Notes from storylines on O
Psychological explanations of phobic disorders: psychodynamic theory

Biological explanations of phobic disorders have a semblance of support, but it is clear that biological explanations cannot fulfil the role of an all-encompassing explanation. The diathesis-stress model proposes that genetic factors predispose an individual to develop a phobia, but environmental triggers are needed for this phobia to develop. Freud was the first to develop a psychological explanation of phobic disorders: the psychodynamic explanation. According to Freud, phobias are the conscious expression of repressed emotions: the ego represses these emotions into the unconscious mind. Therefore, the phobia represents itself in the conscious in a number of ways, such as expressing themselves in repressed dreams, or being displaced onto a neutral object or situation. According to Freud, the person therefore has nightmares or shows a phobia of that object or situation. Freud's theory was based upon case studies, such as the one of Little Hans (Freud, 1909), a boy who had a phobia of horses. Freud explained Hans's phobias with regards to repressed anxieties about his mother, father and sister; once Hans was able to understand and accept his anxieties about his mother, father and sister, he recovered from his phobia, which Freud took as support of the psychodynamic theory.
Reply 31
Elizabethan Church settlement :pain:
Our spec is so weird. We study Henry, Edward and Mary and with a little bit of Elizabeth tagged on the end. Why set the period as 1520-70? :fuhrer:
Behavioural explanations of phobic disorders

Behavioural explanations of phobic disorders state that fears can be conditioned through both classical and operant conditioning. For example, fears are acquired when a person associates a previously neutral stimulus with a fear response, such as in the case of Little Albert (Watson and Raymer, 1920). In this instance, the unconditioned stimulus was the loud noise, and the unconditioned response was the fear response. However, Watson and Raymer conditioned a fear of a fluffy white object, which then became a conditioned stimulus, leading to a conditioned response. The same process can explain why a person develops a phobia of dogs after being bitten by a dog: they associate the fear of being bitten, and pain (an unconditioned stimulus) with the dog (a conditioned stimulus) and so develop a fear of dogs.

However, operant conditioning can also explain one's phobic response. Mowrer (1947) proposed a two-step process by which people acquire phobias. The first is classical conditioning, and the acquisition of a phobia through association, but this is then supplemented with the process of operant conditioning. A person's avoidance behaviour of a phobic stimulus leads to a lack of anxiety, or a reduction in anxiety; this is reinforced through the process of negative reinforcement. Furthermore, the avoidance behaviour leads to no anxiety experienced from the phobia, which is positively reinforced.

Social learning theory can also be utilised in order to explain the acquisition of phobias. Social learning theory purports that phobias are acquired through the process of modelling, that is, learning behaviour from observing behaviour. For example, a child might see a parent show a fear response to a spider, and hence acquire a phobia because such a behaviour appears rewarding (i.e. the person gets attention).
Today:

Focusing more on Restoration today-
Themes
Characters
Exam Questions
Obligatory quote memorisation for Rome
-Go over Powers and honours, Actium, plebeians and senate quotes
-Start memorising RTR, support and oppositin, religion.
Rome past paper
To do :
> Biological therapies: Drugs and ECT
> Psychological therapies: Psychoanalysis
> Systematic desensitisation
> Cognitive Behavioural Therapy

> Definitions of abnormality
> Biological approach
> Psychodynamic approach
> Behavioural approach
> Cognitive approach
(edited 12 years ago)
Today: Major major major history crack down time.
Cognitive explanations of phobic disorders

Cognitive explanations state, simply, that phobias develop as a result of irrational thinking. These irrational thoughts create anxiety, which then increases the chance of a phobia developing. Beck et al. (1985) suggest that phobias develop because people become afraid of situations in which fears may occur. For example, a person may develop a social phobia because of the irrational belief that 'no-one likes them'. Therefore they develop a fear of social rejection, which manifests itself in terms of a social phobia and an avoidance of social situations which have the propensity for (in the person's mind) rejection to occur. Beck et al. (1985) also stated that people tended to overestimate their fears, also increasing the chances of phobias.
Reply 37
Lots of chemistry to do. Planning to finish organics today.
Reply 38
Physics :frown: Plan to do at least a quarter of the syllabus today.
Evaluation of the psychodynamic theory

Freud only produced one piece of evidence to support his explanation of phobias, and this was the case study of Little Hans (Freud, 1909). There are inherent problems in such a case study. One is that Little Hans's phobia could be just as neatly explained with regards to classical conditioning. Secondly, only one piece of evidence is extant, meaning that it may be inappropriate to generalise findings from one case study to the whole population. In fact, psychodynamic theory works on the idiosyncrasies of each person, and therefore population validity in the theory is low, and a situation can arise in which a therapist is attempting to shoehorn a person's histories into the psychodynamic theory. Finally, Freud's explanation can be criticised as lacking objectivity: both Hans's father and Freud interpreted Little Hans's case study with regards to the explanations as to the origins of phobias.

However, there is more research support for the psychodynamic theory. For example, Bowlby (1973) found that agoraphobics often had a family history of conflict. Such conflict may lead to anxiety in a child, which manifests itself in the form of separation anxiety. This anxiety is repressed, leading to phobia of 'enclosed spaces.
Furthermore, Whiting et al. (1966) studied the occurrence of phobias in different cultures and found that phobias were more common in cultures that have a structured form of child-rearing. This may be because stricter, structured parenting leads to children having to repress desires, thus supporting the psychodynamic explanation. Further support comes from the fact that behavioural treatments of phobias, such as systematic desensitisation, are not 100% effective, possibly because they fail to treat the underlying psychological 'roots' of the disorder.

Quick Reply

Latest