The Student Room Group

Suggest me a good film to watch

Scroll to see replies

Borat?
dunno how many of these you will have seen, but for twists check out fight club, seven, the usual suspects, memento and the sixth sense.
the constant gardener, the last king of scotland, the pianist, barry lyndon and letters from iwo jima are all good for "teach-you-something" i suppose.
i have yet to find someone who doesn't love 500 days of summer.
The Machinist

Christain Bale at his best I think, very good film :biggrin:
Well obviously the best film is Solaris (1973), but you should also check out the Trois Couleurs series; (which although in the French language, are actually directed by a Pole).
1. Tomorrow, when the war began: I know it's supposedly a war film, but it's actually enjoyable entertainment, I thought it was really good, you don't need to think about it and it's just a bit of fun. It's probably trying to be more than that and maybe it sort of works, it's a very interesting premise if you ask me, but yeah... (easy to watch)

2. Cracks: it's from about 2009 I think and stars Eva Green, Maria Valverde and Juno Temple. It's set in the 1930s at a girls' boarding school near Scotland or somewhere and it's one of those dark, tragic, period films, I really enjoyed it. Sometimes you're just in the mood for watching a bit of tragic misery. (different period)

3. Children of Men: WATCH THIS PLEASE. It's a fantastic film with wonderful cinematography and really good ideas. It's about a dystopian society in which the whole of humanity is infertile and then suddenly a refugee gets pregnant and must be protected against all costs. (interesting idea and gloriously executed with awesome shots)

These are all great films :biggrin: I hope you like them
Original post by Snagprophet

I've seen it, and it's dubbed in English. Odd...
Original post by MrCarmady
I've seen it, and it's dubbed in English. Odd...

Yes dubbed. Implying it needed translating. Implying it's not an English language film. Any of the films from this thread could have been dubbed in English, thus rendering it's validity, by your criteria, useless.
Spaghetti Westerns' dubs are often the only (and the most valid) versions available, though, as they were released with the American market in mind. Hence also the use of Hollywood (future and past) stars like Clint Eastwood, etc.
YOU AND ME AND EVERYONE WE KNOW.

Watch it - it's AMAZING!!!!!!
Original post by Just-Some-Guy
The Machinist

Christain Bale at his best I think, very good film :biggrin:

Dunno why I just couldn't watch that film...was one of those ones where it's like "this is a good film, I know it is, but I want to not be watching it right now"

bizarre...
Just watched The Departed on Film4 after a fairly long time. How ****in' good is that movie?

Would've been even better if they ended it better.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Overmars
Just watched The Departed on Film4 after a fairly long time. How ****in' good is that movie?

Would've been even better if they ended it better.

Have you seen Infernal Affairs by any chance? Personally, I find it more authentic and I can relate more to the characters. But i guess because it is the original, it'll always get extra brownie points from me:biggrin:

Watched this documentary yesterday.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1512201/
"A couple embarks on a journey home for Chinese new year along with 130 million other migrant workers, to reunite with their children and struggle for a future. Their unseen story plays out as China soars towards being a world superpower."
Melancholy humanism. Wonderfully humbling.
(edited 12 years ago)
my favorite movies are The truman show, Forest gump, Eternal sunshine of a spotless mind, Matilda, Donnie darko, Brokeback mountain:smile:
Some of my favourites:

500 Days Of Summer
A Walk To Remember
Catch Me If You Can
Mulan
Shaun Of The Dead
I have a couple:

Persepolis (2007, Satrapi) - Foreign
The girl with the dragon tattoo (2011, David Fincher) - Thriller
Insidious (2011, James Wan) - Horror

:smile:
:confused:
Original post by Marlene Dietrich
Dunno why I just couldn't watch that film...was one of those ones where it's like "this is a good film, I know it is, but I want to not be watching it right now"

bizarre...

Oh, you should give it another go!

Though saying that, I was the same with Magnolia?? Its supposed to be amazing, and the cast is brilliant......however its 3 hours long, and I watched an hour and couldn't do it?
i would recommend 'in time' starring justin timberlake, i thought it was pretty good, loved the storyline
I watched Memento earlier, blew my mind slightly. Loved it, could any big films buffs here recommend anything similar?
please!
Reply 3279
Original post by robo donkey
I watched Memento earlier, blew my mind slightly. Loved it, could any big films buffs here recommend anything similar?

I found that Memento, Inception and Mulholland Drive made a good triplet. All dealing with reality and dreams in there own different ways. I would also recommend rewatching Memento as there were a lot of things I missed and then picked up on after rewatching it.

Quick Reply

Latest