The Student Room Group

My Mum’s strictness about films

Hey guys,
I am 15 years old going on 16 but my Mum is very strict about what films I can watch and likes to look on the IMDB parents guide to check whether a film is appropriate for me even if I am old enough to watch the film according to the BBFC certificate and if there’s too much swearing in it for example she says it’s inappropriate for me. She doesn’t always do this but she does it sometimes.
Anyway I’ve asked her to order a film for me and my parents to maybe watch which is relevant to one of my school topics and it’s a 15 certificate but my Mum says that as she hasn’t heard of it before she might want to check that she’s happy with it first and I’m worried that this might mean that she’s going to look on the IMDB parents guide. What do you suggest I do to make sure she doesn’t do this?
Reply 1
Maybe contact one of your teachers and ask them to speak to your parents about the importance of watching the film. Having that level of control over what your children consume at almost 16 is a bit strange imo.
Reply 2
Original post by madbildr
Maybe contact one of your teachers and ask them to speak to your parents about the importance of watching the film. Having that level of control over what your children consume at almost 16 is a bit strange imo.

The film wasn’t recommended by my teacher it was me who thought of maybe watching it because it was sort of relevant to what I’m studying for that subject.
Original post by killabitis
Hey guys,
I am 15 years old going on 16 but my Mum is very strict about what films I can watch and likes to look on the IMDB parents guide to check whether a film is appropriate for me even if I am old enough to watch the film according to the BBFC certificate and if there’s too much swearing in it for example she says it’s inappropriate for me. She doesn’t always do this but she does it sometimes.
Anyway I’ve asked her to order a film for me and my parents to maybe watch which is relevant to one of my school topics and it’s a 15 certificate but my Mum says that as she hasn’t heard of it before she might want to check that she’s happy with it first and I’m worried that this might mean that she’s going to look on the IMDB parents guide. What do you suggest I do to make sure she doesn’t do this?

honestly if ur dad is pretty laid back about it the just watch it with him, that is what happens with me, my mum is over protective about what I watch in the sense of violence and swearing, but my dad doesn't care when I watch that stuff with him, so long as the sex and nudity part is very low to none then I can watch it with him

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending