The Student Room Group

Suggest me a good film to watch

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xbanksx
I just watched Nostalgia for the Light. What a breathtakingly beautiful, wonderfully directed and moving film. Highly recommended!

Ah. That's on my list to go and see. Sounds wonderful.
Reply 4241
Original post by Plato's Trousers
Ah. That's on my list to go and see. Sounds wonderful.

:ditto:
Reply 4242
Original post by MrCarmady
oh, but you did put the usual suspects on, check again

No I didn't
Original post by chaza01
No I didn't

I'm afraid that was his attempt at humour. :rolleyes:

He has a problem with the fact that (in his opinion) too many people in this thread seem to post the same multiplex blockbusters as their top films.

He is accusing you of putting the "usual suspects" on your list (ie not the movie of that name, but all the same films as everyone else)

Believe it or not, he even negged me for complimenting your taste in movies earlier in this thread, merely because it contained some films that he considered too "mainstream" !
(edited 11 years ago)
Watched "The Prestige" yesterday, one of the best films I've ever seen!
Reply 4245
I'm afraid that was his attempt at humour. :rolleyes:

He has a problem with the fact that (in his opinion) too many people in this thread seem to post the same multiplex blockbusters as their top films.

He is accusing you of putting the "usual suspects" on your list (ie not the movie of that name, but all the same films as everyone else)

Believe it or not, he even negged me for complimenting your taste in movies earlier in this thread, merely because it contained some films that he considered too "mainstream" !

the problem with the phrase 'mainstream' is that it is overused. Personally I would class something as 'mainstream' if it was created specifically to please as many people as possible, whether they actually appreciate a good movie or not (e.g transformers, iron man etc).
I guess the majority of the films I mentioned are on the IMDB top 250, but that's because they're well reviewed.. because they're good films.

Das Boot wasn't really mainstream, I enjoyed that - though I have the dubbed version which kinda ruined it.

Add Where Eagles Dare to the list if it pleases him
Reply 4246
Original post by Insanity514
Watched "The Prestige" yesterday, one of the best films I've ever seen!

That was on my list, nolan is a genius. Johanson fit.
Original post by chaza01

I guess the majority of the films I mentioned are on the IMDB top 250, but that's because they're well reviewed.. because they're good films.

Add Where Eagles Dare to the list if it pleases him

first of all, i never used the word 'mainstream'. i did, however, refer to the imdb top 250. your argumentum ad populum is not really helping you there. i have no problem with most films on your list, in fact once upon a time in america is in my top 10, but put together, the list seems to reveal none of your personality, it's just a compilation of films by directors that are cool to like (coppola, fincher, leone, scorsese, nolan). where eagles dare is in the same frat-boy vein, admittedly, but it's a far less polished film than the ones on your list and thus a more personal choice (no wonder it's nowhere near the imdb top 250!)
I wanna watch a funny film but I really just can't think of any.

It'd be cool if someone could recommend me a not-too-intense comedy that's actually funny for people over the age of 12.

Already seen the major ones - Borat, Superbad etc.
Clerks II :rofl:
Zoolander!
I was in hysterics while watching 'Bridesmaids'. Might be classed as a romcom though I'm not sure.
I was literally laughing out loud in the cinema, which rarely happens to me.
Reply 4252
first of all, i never used the word 'mainstream'. i did, however, refer to the imdb top 250. your argumentum ad populum is not really helping you there. i have no problem with most films on your list, in fact once upon a time in america is in my top 10, but put together, the list seems to reveal none of your personality, it's just a compilation of films by directors that are cool to like (coppola, fincher, leone, scorsese, nolan). where eagles dare is in the same frat-boy vein, admittedly, but it's a far less polished film than the ones on your list and thus a more personal choice (no wonder it's nowhere near the imdb top 250!)

Fair enough.
But I did genuinely like them.
And you're right, Where Eagles Dare is definitely a personal choice, it's obviously got flaws, but I've always enjoyed it.
I actually used the IMDB top 250 as a guide for films to watch, and generally the taste of most people corresponded quite well to mine.
Oh well, time to shoot myself.
Original post by chaza01
Fair enough.
But I did genuinely like them.
And you're right, Where Eagles Dare is definitely a personal choice, it's obviously got flaws, but I've always enjoyed it.
I actually used the IMDB top 250 as a guide for films to watch, and generally the taste of most people corresponded quite well to mine.
Oh well, time to shoot myself.

i've never said you weren't genuine (precisely why i downvoted plato and not you, btw), but i definitely recommend you to do some exploring outside of the top 250. if you want, i can give you some pointers...
i've never said you weren't genuine (precisely why i downvoted plato and not you, btw),

Sorry, in what way have you decided I am not genuine? (which is the implication of what you are saying). Have you actually looked at my favourite movies list?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4255
i've never said you weren't genuine (precisely why i downvoted plato and not you, btw), but i definitely recommend you to do some exploring outside of the top 250. if you want, i can give you some pointers...

sure
Reply 4256
Drama; 'A Separation' directed by Asghar Farhadi. Honestly one of the most moving films i've ever seen.
Original post by aeon28
Drama; 'A Separation' directed by Asghar Farhadi. Honestly one of the most moving films i've ever seen.

Agree. I thought it was excellent
Sorry, in what way have you decided I am not genuine? (which is the implication of what you are saying). Have you actually looked at my favourite movies list?

that's not what i'm implying, again - i didn't downvote you for your taste at all
Original post by chaza01
sure

have you seen aguirre? it's a film coppola took a lot of inspiration from to make apocalypse now
similarly, it's always interesting to see the classic westerns which compelled leone to make his homage. give winchester '73 and my darling clementine a shot.
how about infernal affairs? (the original of the departed, and in my opinion the superior film)
Reply 4259
that's not what i'm implying, again - i didn't downvote you for your taste at all

have you seen aguirre? it's a film coppola took a lot of inspiration from to make apocalypse now
similarly, it's always interesting to see the classic westerns which compelled leone to make his homage. give winchester '73 and my darling clementine a shot.
how about infernal affairs? (the original of the departed, and in my opinion the superior film)

Yeah I heard about infernal affairs, looked interesting.
I'll give aguirre a look to
cheers

Quick Reply

Latest