The Student Room Group

OCR (not MEI) S2 - 22/06/2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Freakonomics123
ha lmao think i did my past papers bit too early so got nothing to do now :tongue: just looking over stuff and remember all the criteria for approximating nd stuff, its ridiculous the amount of times ive forgot to do the continuity correction.

but not done any in exam conditions so gna be triple checking everything tomorow :tongue: but tbh i want a hard paper rather than a easier paper because i make stupid mistakes, so lower grade boundary would mean i get a higher percentage if that makes any sense :tongue:

No I get what you mean :tongue: I always make mistakes, I was glad that FP1 was a little unorthodox as it should hopefully plonk my grade in the high 90s :tongue:

Would I be right in saying this goes towards the possibility of an A*?
Original post by Contrad!ction.
No I get what you mean :tongue: I always make mistakes, I was glad that FP1 was a little unorthodox as it should hopefully plonk my grade in the high 90s :tongue:

Would I be right in saying this goes towards the possibility of an A*?

yep :biggrin: which is why i took it instead of FP2 :tongue:
yep :biggrin: which is why i took it instead of FP2 :tongue:

Ah cool :biggrin:

That's nice to know, now I need to stop fluctuating around the 66 area and stay on or above it! :tongue:

90% is 65, if the exam's of perfect difficulty. But it's OCR, so... :tongue:
Reply 43
Out of the current past papers, which one would you guys say is/are the hardest? I'm sitting this tomorrow and am so nervous, because OCR has made some real horrible papers lately...

That's nice to know, now I need to stop fluctuating around the 66 area and stay on or above it! :tongue:

ha never know what they come out with.

Atm im in the low A area which is slightly annoying but fingers crossed il be better on the day.

Good Luck anyways il be back here tomorow to get some feedback :tongue:
Original post by entaylor
Out of the current past papers, which one would you guys say is/are the hardest? I'm sitting this tomorrow and am so nervous, because OCR has made some real horrible papers lately...

Boundary-wise, Jan '08 was the lowest. Jan '10 had the highest with 62/72 being an A and 70 being an A* if I converted it properly.

Boundaries for an A:
Jan 07 61
June 07 56
Jan 08 55
June 08 56
Jan 09 58
June 09 57
Jan 10 62 (which is 86%)

ha never know what they come out with.

Atm im in the low A area which is slightly annoying but fingers crossed il be better on the day.

Good Luck anyways il be back here tomorow to get some feedback :tongue:

I'll be doing the same. :tongue:

I'll probably make a few stupid mistakes with typing into the calculator or misreading or miscopying :tongue:
Reply 46
Boundary-wise, Jan '08 was the lowest. Jan '10 had the highest with 62/72 being an A and 70 being an A* if I converted it properly.

Boundaries for an A:
Jan 07 61
June 07 56
Jan 08 55
June 08 56
Jan 09 58
June 09 57
Jan 10 62 (which is 86%)

I'll be doing the same. :tongue:

I'll probably make a few stupid mistakes with typing into the calculator or misreading or miscopying :tongue:

Thank you SO MUCH, your help really means a lot. After the very nasty C3 and C4 I've had, don't want to sound like a drama queen, but I really am very nervous about how tomorrow's paper is going to turn out.. :frown:
Thank you SO MUCH, your help really means a lot. After the very nasty C3 and C4 I've had, don't want to sound like a drama queen, but I really am very nervous about how tomorrow's paper is going to turn out.. :frown:

No probs :smile:

I must say, when I saw the boundaries I was shocked.

I do better on the ones with lower boundaries, it seems.
Reply 48
No probs :smile:

I must say, when I saw the boundaries I was shocked.

I do better on the ones with lower boundaries, it seems.

I just hope I can get an A on this paper to balance out my cores! Don't know what to do if I do end up with a B or worse :s-smilie: Sorry but would you also happen to know what the grade boundaries for B are?
I just hope I can get an A on this paper to balance out my cores! Don't know what to do if I do end up with a B or worse :s-smilie: Sorry but would you also happen to know what the grade boundaries for B are?

Around 8 marks less than the A boundary.

*checks OCR site*
Jan 07 54 (high)
June 07 48 (low)
Jan 08 48 (low)
June 08 48 (low)
Jan 09 49 (mid)
June 09 49 (mid)
Jan 10 53 (high)

In a perfect exam, 50 would be a B.
Reply 50
Around 8 marks less than the A boundary.

*checks OCR site*
Jan 07 54 (high)
June 07 48 (low)
Jan 08 48 (low)
June 08 48 (low)
Jan 09 49 (mid)
June 09 49 (mid)
Jan 10 53 (high)

In a perfect exam, 50 would be a B.

Thank you so much! I think I should get on with the past papers or else I'm screwed for S2... Thanks again for your help :smile:
Thank you so much! I think I should get on with the past papers or else I'm screwed for S2... Thanks again for your help :smile:

I'm on my last past paper and have just noticed that I fluke all my Type II error questions for the normal distribution, ouch.

Glad to be of use :tongue:

65? I got it as 62.

When the boundaries go above 72, A* becomes midway between A and 100UMS.

Spreadsheet: (go to Maths-A*-adj)
https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuC3uSoohVKqdHFsQnc0ZGhVRFpiNjhJTVo4bC15Umc&hl=en_GB&authkey=CIuz0OIM
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Xero Xenith
65? I got it as 62.

When the boundaries go above 72, A* becomes midway between A and 100UMS.

Spreadsheet: (go to Maths-A*-adj)
https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuC3uSoohVKqdHFsQnc0ZGhVRFpiNjhJTVo4bC15Umc&hl=en_GB&authkey=CIuz0OIM

Seriously? Awesome :biggrin:

I was purely basing it on (72x9)/10 - but that's great. :smile:
How did people find it? I thought it was pretty good. I have my answers to the numerical questions if I'm allowed :smile:
Reply 55
yeah put answers up - mr m cant do s2 apparently as he cant get a paper for it
As requested, my answers :smile: note I may have made mistakes!

(EDIT: I got 100% in S2 so these should be correct :tongue:)

(stored on calc in exam)

2. 57.4
3. 0.0473
4ii. 2.4
5i. 0.0464 reject H0
6i. 0.0156 accept H0
7i. n=15
7ii. 0.1635
7iii. 0.2287
8bi. 0.516
8bii. 0.0337
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 57
What do you think the grade boundary for an A? I found it rather easy, though screwed up completely q.3 worth 7 marks. I know a few answers if people want :P
Reply 58

(stored on calc in exam)

2. 57.4
3. 0.0473
4ii. 2.4
5i. 0.0464 reject H0
6i. 0.0156 accept H0
7i. n=15
7ii. 0.1635
7iii. 0.2287
8bi. 0.516
8bii. 0.0337

Ooo interesting exactly the same as me i believe apart from 8biii (but i was a bit dubious so who knows)

(stored on calc in exam)

2. 57.4
3. 0.0473
4ii. 2.4
5i. 0.0464 reject H0
6i. 0.0156 accept H0
7i. n=15
7ii. 0.1635
7iii. 0.2287
8bi. 0.516
8bii. 0.0337

Those numbers all seem familiar to me. Thanks :yy: