The Student Room Group

Edexcel Linear Higher Non-Calc June 2011 Model answers on the actual paper (1st post)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Arsey
yes, they are correct.

quality. I love it when a student questions a teachers answers :biggrin:
Reply 21
Anyone got the foundation paper that they could post by any chance.

Thanks
Original post by Arsey
It is guess work, it depends how everyone has done

there were some tricky questions, so the mean mark will be slightly lower than on previous papers but I think there will be far less candidates getting very high marks which will reduce the standard deviation.

The overall grades, D, C and B boundaries do not vary very much.

Maybe

C - 27
B - 45
A - 63
A* - 81

I am expecting a more straight forward second paper on Friday

81 for an A*? Was the paper really that hard in comparison to previous years? Normally A* is 85% or more o_O But if that's what you think it is, then I'm more than happy! XD
Reply 23
For question 12b I wrote 4x^-1 = 1/4x . Is this correct?
Original post by Tulareyn
I got H=2x for that hemisphere question... agh!

And I did the transformation the wrong way round, from the wrong triangle to the other.

Failed the density question, and for that triangle question I spoke about R.H.S...

Ah well, goodbye A*. Overall I think I got 81, give or take.

The transformation question was sneaky. I thought it was Q to P so I just put (6,1) Fail >.> And the density question i got 384...argh fail once more :'(
Reply 25
for the vectors question, I found out that the vector was 1.2a+1.2b and then said that divides by 1.2 to give a+b so is parallel. Will I get the full 3 marks?
Reply 26
Original post by InadequateJusticex
The transformation question was sneaky. I thought it was Q to P so I just put (6,1) Fail >.> And the density question i got 384...argh fail once more :'(

I put 448 for the density question lol
totally wrong because I forgot to change the 2m to 200cm and I some how calculated the area wrong. but am hoping to get 3 marks for attempting to work out the area, the volume and using density x volume
Original post by Rose.1994
I put 448 for the density question lol
totally wrong because I forgot to change the 2m to 200cm and I some how calculated the area wrong. but am hoping to get 3 marks for attempting to work out the area, the volume and using density x volume

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about the working out. Do they give you marks for doing the right method of working out even if you got the wrong answer?

Original post by Rose.1994
for the vectors question, I found out that the vector was 1.2a+1.2b and then said that divides by 1.2 to give a+b so is parallel. Will I get the full 3 marks?

And yeah you probably will, because 1.2 is the right answer and you just had to say they were multiples of each other which you kind of did... Hopefully the examiners aren't too harsh :/
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 28
I'm looking at around 80-81 on this paper. From Arsey's prediction that's a border line A*. How high do you think I'd have to get on Friday to ensure I get the A* overall?
Original post by DanS106
I'm looking at around 80-81 on this paper. From Arsey's prediction that's a border line A*. How high do you think I'd have to get on Friday to ensure I get the A* overall?

Boundaries are decided with the two papers combined. You don't get two different grade boundaries. I think he's assuming the Calculator paper will be as difficult but we won't know until friday.
Reply 30
I'm so upset :frown: , I did 4 past papers yesterday as well for the exam, and it was the hardest one I had seen. I think I got somewhere between 64-70. I need an A overall!
Reply 31
Original post by InadequateJusticex

And yeah you probably will, because 1.2 is the right answer and you just had to say they were multiples of each other which you kind of did... Hopefully the examiners aren't too harsh :/

Thanks, yeah lets hope :| they better not be because the exam was hard enough!
Reply 32
for the one where you got 4/x do you think you could have 4x^-1
would that get 1 mark?
Reply 33
So do we think friday's paper will be just as hard?
Reply 34
Original post by Radiskull
So do we think friday's paper will be just as hard?

I think it might be a little easier, it better not be harder as that will just be impossible!
Reply 35
Original post by Arsey
Attached to this post are the model answers to the 6th June 2011 Non-Calc Higher Paper. They are intended for personal use only, I will remove them from the thread in a week or so.

I will happily remove the model answers before then if requested to do so by site admin

I have also attached a revision list for the Calculator paper on Friday, it is by no means comprehensive but it is everything I could think of at the time.

The paper was certainly the most difficult of the new spec papers. It had many very straight forward standard questions but it also had quite a few questions that needed more thought and potentially could cause problems.

Boundaries

The boundaries for each paper are decided by how well candidates do on the paper; the grade B boundary is roughly the mean national mark. The grade A and C boundaries are set by looking at the standard deviation of marks. Grades B and A* then fall at equal intervals.

The total boundary /200 required for each grade is then simply found by adding the two boundaries for each paper. Although the A* boundary could differ slightly depending on the % of candidates who would achieve an A* using the sum of the two A* boundaries. About 5% of candidates are expected to achieve an A*.

Here are the past boundaries

HIGHER

J08 N08 J09 N09 J10 N10 Average
A* 169 159 173 174 176 170 170.2
A 140 132 141 141 141 136 138.5
B 102 98 105 103 103 102 102.2
C 65 65 70 66 66 68 66.7
D 34 35 40 39 39 42 38.2

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the 2008 boundaries as CWK accounted for 20% of the mark, which usually dragged down the A* boundary a little. Also because it was a new spec, many centres, in hindsight, entered students for Higher when they would have been better off taking Foundation, which dragged down the mean mark and boundaries.

Predicting boundaries for these papers is pure guess work but I would be very surprised if much more than 80 was required for an A* on this paper.

Could you please get the mark scheme for this maths exam for modular unit 3 please?
Reply 36
Original post by natachapr
your lucky i pretty much blanked out in the exam I got about 70! When I was suppose to get an a* I really need to try and get full marks in this next paper... i've been so stresses I couldn't sleep!

omg me too!! i have been so stressed i haven't slept for like the last 3 nights ad i completely blanced too!! i reckon i'll be lucky to get an a
guys i think i got 68/100. How many marks do i need for A overall in the calulator paper?
Nice :smile: Think I got 97!!!
Dropped one on the transformations by doing it going Q onto P
Another on the prism, because i didn't realise the length was in metres
And one on the one with the cone and the hemisphere because I wrote SQRT(3x^2) and didn't simplify it to x(SQRT(3)

Stupid, stupid mistakes...never mind though
Reply 39
for the polygon question if I did a line from the origin to the first co-ord and used the end points and not mid points to plot it will I get the marks?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending