The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE MODULAR Higher June 2011 Non Calc solutions

Scroll to see replies

It think that i got A LOT questions wrong. But the thing that is going to make the difference is my working out. Like when its like a 4 mark i get 2 marks because i had the first art right. Thats what i like about maths and that why teachers say to write your markings out. I got 42/60....i think :/
Because unit 3 is made up of two exams, you can't really work out a 'grade' easily without knowing both your marks, as that is what your final mark will be based on. We got a sheet of the average grade boundaries from school so I'll put it here:

91+/120 = A*

73-90/120 = A

55-72/120 = B

38 - 54/120 = C

The safest way to work out your rough grade is to double your 'marks' for the non-calc and see what you got out of 120. If your marking of the non-calc paper was accurate you should probably get your estimate or higher overall as long as you do the same/better in the calc on Friday. And of course provided the grade boundaries are the same/less than the ones I put here.

Remember though that you can't guarantee a way of finding what grade you have at all, and you may not get the grade you estimate on results day. It's just an estimation, nothing else.

Hope that helped :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
I FAILED. 39/60? MINIMUM MARKS... i haven't counted the working out ones though... :frown: all i want is an A on this exam... although I can only rely on the calculator exam at this point, but I'm slowly losing the will to live. MADE A LOT OF SILLY MISTAKES. got half of question 1 WRONG and got the reflecting question wrong... :l
Original post by thetransitionary
Because unit 3 is made up of two exams, you can't really work out a 'grade' easily without knowing both your marks, as that is what your final mark will be based on. We got a sheet of the average grade boundaries from school so I'll put it here:

91+/120 = A*

73-90/120 = A

55-72/120 = B

38 - 54/120 = C

The safest way to work out your rough grade is to double your 'marks' for the non-calc and see what you got out of 120. If your marking of the non-calc paper was accurate you should probably get your estimate or higher overall as long as you do the same/better in the calc on Friday.

Hope that helped :smile:

Dont get it...ok. What if i got 42 in non-calc out of 60. What do i need in calc to get an A...is it possible?

I got an A overall in the Other 50%.

Sorry to bother you:biggrin:
Thank You ! :biggrin: i think i got around 48/60 -_- I made a silly mistake on the £54 question.. I wrote 5.40 as the answer but on the working out i had the answer of £32.40, arghh
oh wait, i counted it again... i got 41 marks minimum... that's an A right?
Original post by MEPLUS-->YOU
Dont get it...ok. What if i got 42 in non-calc out of 60. What do i need in calc to get an A...is it possible?

I got an A overall in the Other 50%.

Sorry to bother you:biggrin:

If you got an A in the rest of the course then you need the same/better in the calculator to get an A, roughly. Don't take my word for it, I'm pretty sure you can get an A, just do your best on Friday.
Original post by PeaceLoveKindness
oh wait, i counted it again... i got 41 marks minimum... that's an A right?

Depends on the boundaries, I've done practice papers where you need 42 to get an A, and this exam seemed harder so hopefully the boundaries will be lower.
couldnt you have cancelled out the t on the rearranging one ? :frown:
i got the right answer for the rearranging one but crossed the t off the bottom
but i still put the correct answer in the working out bit so would they see that and give me the full marks or would i lose a mark?
Reply 49
Original post by Mr.Obsessed
unit 1 and unit 2 add up to 50% of your gcse, unit 3 is 50%, work it out for yourself

Whoa! Gee, thanks for being so helpful. :colonhash: I know what I've got equates to 50%, I'm not thick, I don't know how to calculate the UMS. :wink:
I got an A in unit 1, an A* & A in unit 2... & i got roughly 39/60 marks in unit 3 non-calc... what are the odds of me getting an A overall?
Original post by thetransitionary
If you got an A in the rest of the course then you need the same/better in the calculator to get an A, roughly. Don't take my word for it, I'm pretty sure you can get an A, just do your best on Friday.

But if you could tell me the calculation to get an A that would be awsome. If you dont...thank for the help.:smile:
Original post by Commenting94

You can even get an A*,
my advice; dont worry about the grade boundaries and UMS marks, just do your best and let your results surprise you! :biggrin:
Original post by MEPLUS-->YOU

But if you could tell me the calculation to get an A that would be awsome. If you dont...thank for the help.:smile:

Well I could tell you what's required for an A on the 'average grade boundaries' that our school gave us as a guide. But the real grade boundaries could be higher, or lower, or the same, there's no way of telling, and I don't want to give you a false prediction.
Reply 54
Original post by halii_94
couldnt you have cancelled out the t on the rearranging one ? :frown:
i got the right answer for the rearranging one but crossed the t off the bottom
but i still put the correct answer in the working out bit so would they see that and give me the full marks or would i lose a mark?

I did exactly the same, ended up with k= t/1, so k=t...
Reply 55
Please could someone help me, say i got the wrong answer in a 4 mark qs but i did some working out????? do i get any marks forexample in the Hemisphere one i wrote H=2x.

Secondly, I think i got 46 what grade would that be
Got 48 .. Do u think I can hit an A with this grade?
Thank You for any answers)
Reply 57
last yr, boundaries were 54 to get an A* and 44 to get an A
What do you think ppl will 47-48 make an A ?, Coz it wasn't the easiest paper i have seen.
Hoping too get an A :smile:
Reply 59
this applied to both papers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending