The Student Room Group

Why so much hate for leggings?!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by harleygrant
Leggings are not a substitute for trousers, but unfortunately this is how they are commonly worn, hence all the hate. The prevailing opinion is that they're just a bit too revealing and cheaper ones often go transparent at the wrong ares.

For example, I was at my local Red5 the other day and the salesgirl was wearing her work t-shirt and a pair of thin leggings. I saw her entire rear end and could even tell you that she was wearing white pants that were a size too small. It was terrible (and really inappropriate for work).

However, worn as a substitute for tights in the winter, or with something on top that covers your crotch and bum, leggings are fine.

I saw someone in entirely similar to this and you could see her the whole of her underwear as she had quite a short top on with really see through leggings, just did not look good at all. I wear leggings but only really with skirts or dresses when your not sure what the weather will be like, or am a bit tanless on the legs and don't want to appear too much like a milk bottle!
Reply 41
Original post by harleygrant
Leggings are not a substitute for trousers, but unfortunately this is how they are commonly worn, hence all the hate. The prevailing opinion is that they're just a bit too revealing and cheaper ones often go transparent at the wrong ares.

For example, I was at my local Red5 the other day and the salesgirl was wearing her work t-shirt and a pair of thin leggings. I saw her entire rear end and could even tell you that she was wearing white pants that were a size too small. It was terrible (and really inappropriate for work).

However, worn as a substitute for tights in the winter, or with something on top that covers your crotch and bum, leggings are fine.

Oh dear! Not very professional at all! There's a time and place for revealing clothing!
But - how on earth can you tell if someone is wearing underwear that's too small just from looking?!?
Reply 42
I wear leggings and they're fine. I think the hate is towards leggings with really short tops? like leggings with crops and stuff :|
I think leggings should be worn with tops that cover the butt
Original post by Moontoon
Oh dear! Not very professional at all! There's a time and place for revealing clothing!
But - how on earth can you tell if someone is wearing underwear that's too small just from looking?!?

If it cuts into the body too much, and looks quite tight or doesn't really fit properly over the bottom then its obviously too small. Opposite would be if its pretty much falling down the person's body all the time, its obviously a size too big
Reply 44
Legging and jeggings ....Possibly the best thing ever <3

especially with short tops
Reply 45
Original post by Moontoon

It cut into her bum. Think of the number three. It was that bad.
Reply 46
I agree with everyone saying the whole leggings worn as trousers thing is the only real problem. However, I think tights almost always look better than leggings anyway. They somehow seem to be more slimming? I think when they stop at the ankle (like leggings) it can make legs look a bit stubby, whereas full tights look nice and seamless and create a smoother shape. And tights can be just as thick and comfortable as leggings, and tend to be cheaper! Win-win. :smile:
Reply 47
Because some girls think that leggings=Trousers when that is not the case and it looks tacky
If you haven't got a nice round perky bum and thick thighs,I also wouldn't advise you to wear leggings
Reply 48
I totally second the "they're okay UNDER SOMETHING ELSE" brigade.
Camel toe.
I wear them as trousers, and I don't give a ****- they're comfy and I hate jeans. Obviously the top would have to be a little longer and cover like half of my ass, but I certainly don't restrict leggings for really long tunic tops and dresses :/

as long as the material is thick and they're not see through- there are no problems.

Mind you, it's not just leggings- it seems like the slight mention of hair extensions, fake tan, body con and 'lots of make up' will get 85% of girls in a tizzle on here.
Original post by cloppy
The reasons are multiple, but most notably because a lot of girls think it's reasonable to parade about in cheapo leggings as if they are trousers, i.e. wearing a short top with them, leaving an ill-disguised bottom free to waggle about publically. Which no one enjoys.

However, sturdy leggings/leggings worn with a longish top (and an air of joie de vivre) can look mighty fine.

Depends on whose modelling them...:bootyshake:
leggings are so comfortable, I like wearing them at home :biggrin:
Original post by Vickyy
I agree with everyone saying the whole leggings worn as trousers thing is the only real problem. However, I think tights almost always look better than leggings anyway. They somehow seem to be more slimming? I think when they stop at the ankle (like leggings) it can make legs look a bit stubby, whereas full tights look nice and seamless and create a smoother shape. And tights can be just as thick and comfortable as leggings, and tend to be cheaper! Win-win. :smile:

I'm glad someone finally thinks the same as me! :biggrin: The way leggings stop at the ankle is so unflattering! I kind of wrap mine around my feet a bit, but my sister makes fun of me for doing that haha (looks better than how they do normally though!:P). But yeah I'd much rather wear tights, they look so much better and prettier! I live in tights :smile: lol :P
I looooooove leggings

Quick Reply

Latest