The Student Room Group

This Classic School Problem Nobody Talks About!

I'm sure many of us who went to school had to sit cross-legged on the floor for long periods of time at some point. When I was in infants and juniors I had to sit cross-legged on the floor for assemblies that lasted half an hour, but on certain occasions like a concert, we had to sit on the floor for 2/ 2 and a half hours! Spending so much time sitting in such a restricted position can cause pins and needles, cramped legs, and potentially worse problems and the blood circulation in your legs is stymied. I suppose it's not a huge issue because I don't hear in the news of any children suffering from extended bouts of sitting on the floor in this manner, but it's certainly not comfortable for longer periods of time.

Do you feel this is a significant problem that kids have to sit on the floor in this position, or do you think they should all sit on chairs?
Reply 1
Original post by JDINCINERATOR
I'm sure many of us who went to school had to sit cross-legged on the floor for long periods of time at some point. When I was in infants and juniors I had to sit cross-legged on the floor for assemblies that lasted half an hour, but on certain occasions like a concert, we had to sit on the floor for 2/ 2 and a half hours! Spending so much time sitting in such a restricted position can cause pins and needles, cramped legs, and potentially worse problems and the blood circulation in your legs is stymied. I suppose it's not a huge issue because I don't hear in the news of any children suffering from extended bouts of sitting on the floor in this manner, but it's certainly not comfortable for longer periods of time.

Do you feel this is a significant problem that kids have to sit on the floor in this position, or do you think they should all sit on chairs?

I mean it's not ideal but putting out (and tidying up) potentially a few hundred chairs every few days would be so much more faff; takes up more space; plus getting kids in and out of assembly when there are a load of chairs in the way will take much longer, and there are more issues when it comes to health & safety and fire regulations and all that.
Reply 2
All those Buddhist monks seem to get on ok.
Original post by bl0bf1sh
I mean it's not ideal but putting out (and tidying up) potentially a few hundred chairs every few days would be so much more faff; takes up more space; plus getting kids in and out of assembly when there are a load of chairs in the way will take much longer, and there are more issues when it comes to health & safety and fire regulations and all that.

I didn't consider those things, thanks for giving me other perspectives to consider.

Quick Reply

Latest