The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bright.Inspiration.
I got asked on this thread why I'm an atheist, and I answered that question honestly. I did not mean to offend anyone, and I apologise if you feel I have offended you. Maybe you need to be less defensive.

So if I have a different belief to you, and if I feel that religion contradicts itself, that makes me a bad person? Brilliant.

Anything specfically about Sikhism that made you athiest or is it that you are disillusioned with religion as a concept

Did I say I expect miracles? No.
I said that I peronally feel it's not right for innocent people such as vulnerable children to go through awful experiences such as rape, abuse, etc. I feel that becasue such horrific things are allowed take place, there cannot be a God - but that ofcourse is my opinion, you are welcome to disagree, and I would respect your opinion.

I never said you did, was about to by saying "all athiests" but I did say "some", wasn't saying you directly.

That is your opinion, and I'm cool with that. We can agree to disagree.

Peace.

lol that sounds fair to me
Reply 581
Who is anyone to say that god isn't "as simple as that"?

I don't feel there is any need for belief in a God. You don't need to be told that stealing and killing are 'bad' by some holy scriptures - you should be able to understand that by yourself. One should be a good person because that's a good thing to do - not for the purpose of things like heaven and salvation.

The world, quite honestly, is a terrible place - there's things like torture of innocent people to abuse of little children happening every single day. If there is a God, he should care enough to prevent such horrific harm from occuring to innocent people (e.g. sexual abuse of children). If there is infact a God, but he chooses to not do anything about this, then he is not worthy of worship.

I don't like organised religion as well - it controls people's lives. What to wear, what to say, who to marry, etc decision are made by it. Cultures and traditions that have a lot of religion in them encourage the growth of social control. I have many religious friends who will do things and not do things simply becasue religion says so - they do not think for themselves.

I am an atheist, but I'm a good person. I don't harm others and always try to help others when I can. The fact that religions teach that just because one does not believe in God then one should not go to heaven/get salvation, is silly, because it shows that God has an 'ego' - this is a human trait, and as God is meant to be 'perfect', it completely contradicts the whole concept of God itself.

I have full respect for the beliefs of others - lots of my family and friends believe in God, but I'll believe it if I see it bascially.

Ok fair enough!
Original post by okapobcfc08
Anything specfically about Sikhism that made you athiest or is it that you are disillusioned with religion as a concept

To me all religions are on an equal panel.
You think i'm disillusioned, I think you are.
As I said, we can agree to disagree.
Reply 583
Lol. What I'm trying to ask is, what do sikhs believe will happen to atheists after they die? Like will they be 'punished' or what?
I'm just curious to know.

Nothing.... It's more about the kindness of the life you lead. If that makes sense?
Besides.... The less you know... The more protected you are in God's view.

Mind's only evolve with time & knowledge
Kom :cool:
Reply 584
I heard that sikhs believe after death they will be 'made on with God', what does that mean?
Reply 585
Original post by Rouz
I heard that sikhs believe after death they will be 'made on with God', what does that mean?

'Made One With God' - Quite self explanatory.

E.G. You're piece merges back with the grand piece. Regardless of how small it may actually be....
Reply 586
There's an Ask About Sikhism thread, people. Use it.
Reply 587
Heyyy! Sikh over here :smile:
Original post by kirino1
Heyyy! Sikh over here :smile:

Hello :]
Reply 589
Some interesting questions being asked at the moment,
Who is anyone to say that god isn't "as simple as that"?

I don't feel there is any need for belief in a God. You don't need to be told that stealing and killing are 'bad' by some holy scriptures - you should be able to understand that by yourself. One should be a good person because that's a good thing to do - not for the purpose of things like heaven and salvation.

i agree here; believing in god will not make you a good or bad person
and if someone is told that something is bad but can't figure it out for themselves... well they aren't technically 'good' since they are only doing good actions because they have been told to do so...
i think believing/not believing in god is the same as believing/not believing in anything else...it doesn't REALLY make a difference..except that in one case you acknowledge the truth...

The world, quite honestly, is a terrible place - there's things like torture of innocent people to abuse of little children happening every single day. If there is a God, he should care enough to prevent such horrific harm from occuring to innocent people (e.g. sexual abuse of children). If there is infact a God, but he chooses to not do anything about this, then he is not worthy of worship.

(i may not be completely right in my explanation, but this is how i take it to be)

god is not like a person; s/he is more of a thing than a person, if you see what i mean...
me and saintsoldier were discussing the concept of god recently...you can have a look at that and see if it makes sense!
the result was that god = truth
so it's not as though god actively makes things happen because s/he feels like it should be that way; everything just IS like that

I don't like organised religion as well - it controls people's lives. What to wear, what to say, who to marry, etc decision are made by it. Cultures and traditions that have a lot of religion in them encourage the growth of social control. I have many religious friends who will do things and not do things simply becasue religion says so - they do not think for themselves.

but then again, it isn't just religion which dictates a person's life...it is culture (as in ethnic background), school/uni, family + friends, society, tv/books/music etc
religion is usually just one of the many factors affecting a person's life
and someone who's in the army or something will have a much more controlled life...
however it does seem silly to just follow your religion blindly without questioning it, and letting it control your life without you understanding WHY you do the things you do (eg prayers, ceremonies etc)

(i'm sorry if i wrote anything wrong...im not an expert in anything - this is just how i view the world right now, and i am still learning!)
Reply 591
Original post by Komatic
'Made One With God' - Quite self explanatory.

E.G. You're piece merges back with the grand piece. Regardless of how small it may actually be....

Like we literally and physically become a piece of God?
Original post by KaurPrincess

god is not like a person; s/he is more of a thing than a person, if you see what i mean...

The way I see it, who is anyone to say that he's a person or a thing?

the result was that god = truth

Who is anyone to say god is truth? That would mean that the whole idea of god is just a way in which one can visualise morality and honesty - hence there is no such thing as an actual 'God', and that it's just way for humans to describe goodness and give 'explanations' for the world's existance, etc. -> Hence, that would actually support my atheist point of view.

so it's not as though god actively makes things happen because s/he feels like it should be that way; everything just IS like that

Why?
Surely that makes god look quite powerless and pointless - like he's just hanging around.
Whats the point of that? Why should one pray to him and devote his/her life in devotion towards him?

(I'm not trying to be rude here, just explaining my point of view.)
Reply 593
Interesting...never knew this existed NICE
Reply 594
Hi I am trying to create a new circle of friends and i would really want to make friends with a sikh guy aged 17,18,19 to meet up and hang out. Please contact me if ur interested as i dont like my uni mates.

Thanks,
Reply 595
Original post by sex18
Hi I am trying to create a new circle of friends and i would really want to make friends with a sikh guy aged 17,18,19 to meet up and hang out. Please contact me if ur interested as i dont like my uni mates.

Thanks,

Well your name doesn't help :frown:
Reply 596
Original post by DSB
Well your name doesn't help :frown:

Yeah I know, Wish i could change it, people might think im sex mad or something.

But still i would like to make sikh friends of my age, as there isnt many in my area
Reply 597
Original post by sex18
Yeah I know, Wish i could change it, people might think im sex mad or something.

But still i would like to make sikh friends of my age, as there isnt many in my area

Isn't there a Sikh Society, that is probably a good place to start :smile:

Who is anyone to say god is truth? That would mean that the whole idea of god is just a way in which one can visualise morality and honesty - hence there is no such thing as an actual 'God', and that it's just way for humans to describe goodness and give 'explanations' for the world's existance, etc. -> Hence, that would actually support my atheist point of view.

Why?
Surely that makes god look quite powerless and pointless - like he's just hanging around.
Whats the point of that? Why should one pray to him and devote his/her life in devotion towards him?

(I'm not trying to be rude here, just explaining my point of view.)

i can see exactly what you mean...and to be honest i can get a bit confused myself...
(as you can see i'm not brilliant at explaing stuff online, but here goes...)
god is still all powerful - the universe is governed by the laws of physics (which i think can be seen as the truth....someone correct me if i'm wrong!)
copy-pasted from wikipedia (although that can be a bit subjective):

A key distinctive feature of Sikhism is a non-anthropomorphic concept of God, to the extent that one can interpret God as the Universe itself (pantheism). Sikhism thus sees life as an opportunity to understand this God as well as to discover the divinity which lies in each individual. While a full understanding of God is beyond human beings, Nanak described God as not wholly unknowable, and stressed that God must be seen from "the inward eye", or the "heart", of a human being: devotees must meditate to progress towards enlightenment. Nanak emphasized the revelation through meditation, as its rigorous application permits the existence of communication between God and human beings

and a sikh does not simply aim to meditate on god 24/7 literally, but to realise the truth and act on it, so this would translate as obvious things like being honest and hardworking
as Guru Nanak said 'truth is high, but higher still is truthful living'
all this can be done without believing in god, but technically, i guess everyone believes in god although they may not label it god...

(i hope i haven't confused you! my brain works in weird and wonderful ways...)
helloo...?
*hello...hello...hello...*

Latest

Trending

Trending