Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

CURRENT YEAR 12s - Hopeful Medics

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AishaTara)
    Kings and Bham are the main two I want to go too :'(
    5 I'd like as a minimum yes.
    Oh right well if you have a good UKCAT then Kings may be accessible with 5

Birmingham however isn't an option with 5 as they require a minimum of 8 A*s
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whitemagesonia)
    Awww! Thanks I'm still a bit worried though since there have only been like 4-5 successful med applicants in the last 4 years at my (future) sixth form. Plus, she looked like she knew what she was on about, and i kind of tend to believe people.
    i know how you feel, I tend to believe people easily too, but try not to let her get to you! If you want anyone to motivate you, you've got me here
    don't give up yet! even if you have to gap year!
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oli_G)
    Anyone got History tomorrow? I'm ****ting myself D:
    Yeah me, OCR paper 2?

Medicine through time?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Awww! Thanks I'm still a bit worried though since there have only been like 4-5 successful med applicants in the last 4 years at my (future) sixth form. Plus, she looked like she knew what she was on about, and i kind of tend to believe people.
    Don't let other peoples opinions get in your way. Take on their opinion but don't make life changing choices based on it. Did she say you might not have the grades for medicine? If you've still got exams to sit, go out and prove her wrong.

Challenges aren't there to stop you from achieving, they're there to make you prove how much you want something.
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't listen to careers people at school. They all seem to hate people wanting to do medicine as they are being ambitious. I believe that you can do what you want if you put your mind to it. Don't let some middle-aged teacher put you down.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Count me in the gang too!
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ketchup'n'Mustard)
    Count me in the gang too!
    Welcome
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fletchdd02)
    Yeah me, OCR paper 2?

Medicine through time?
    Nah, AQA B. Hitler's Germany, Weimar Republic and The USSR.

I'm on for an A* but just need to ace this exam to secure it You?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey Yes, I am thinking of medicine. Just taken my gcses, I'm also considering finance/economics and law as well
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oli_G)
    Anyone got History tomorrow? I'm ****ting myself D:
    I have the AQA exam tomorrow, and I rrrreally hope they go easy on us.

Regarding work experience, I have two weeks at an ophthalmologist department in a hospital booked, and I'll hopefully get something in the October half term too.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oli_G)
    Don't listen to careers people at school. They all seem to hate people wanting to do medicine as they are being ambitious. I believe that you can do what you want if you put your mind to it. Don't let some middle-aged teacher put you down.
    That's so true. My head of 6th form told me to ditch biology as one of my A-level choices (because apparently most unis dont mind if you dont have it) and take physics with chemistry instead ... i mean that would have seriously limited my choices.
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    That's so true. My head of 6th form told me to ditch biology as one of my A-level subjects (because apparently most unis dont mind if you dont have it) and take physics with chemistry instead ... i mean that would have seriously limited my choices.
    Proves they're ill informed. My options were crap for medicine but luckily I looked on here and other places and have changed them now =] Do biology, you'll limit yourself if you don't do it at least to AS
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Ooo, this is a really good idea. How's everyone approaching work experience?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    well, i love any aspect of science and am intrigued by the workings of modern medicine. Although I spoke to the head of admissions during my interview for Sixth Form in which she asked me about this 'passion' I'd written about on my application. She was very discouraging, even saying that she didn't mean to 'pour cold water on my dreams', but that what I said would be 'insufficient' to get into med school.

So now, I'm just questioning whether I'm capable or not...
    teachers can be awful pessimistic and bitchy! aren't they supposed to support us in our dreams and help us achieve them...maybe she wanted to be a doctor but couldn't and is jealous, you know what they say.......those who can't do, teach
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neon Nickers)
    Ooo, this is a really good idea. How's everyone approaching work experience?
    becoming a volunteer at my local hospital. from there I should (hopefully) get some time for shadowing consultants etc. have done a week at GPs. You?
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fletchdd02)
    Oh right well if you have a good UKCAT then Kings may be accessible with 5

Birmingham however isn't an option with 5 as they require a minimum of 8 A*s
    Yeh im gutted cus I was predicted straight A* but I didnt put the effort in until easter :/ theres a chance I'll get around 7 -9 if i'm reallllly lucky tbh.
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dandelionseason)
    I have the AQA exam tomorrow, and I rrrreally hope they go easy on us.

Regarding work experience, I have two weeks at an ophthalmologist department in a hospital booked, and I'll hopefully get something in the October half term too.
    Ikr, what sections are you doing (i'm doing weimar, hitler and stalin) :]

Hopefully It'll be OK though
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delaney)
    Don't let other peoples opinions get in your way. Take on their opinion but don't make life changing choices based on it. Did she say you might not have the grades for medicine? If you've still got exams to sit, go out and prove her wrong.

Challenges aren't there to stop you from achieving, they're there to make you prove how much you want something.
    Wise words You know, I think I might just post that up on my motivation board next to my bed...
    She said I was 'capable' when she saw I'd achieved a*'s in the three sciences, but I did also get 2 b's last year But I'v been putting more effort into those subjects this year so hopefully i'll get good grades in those

Three more exams for me. Good luck to you for results day
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oli_G)
    Proves they're ill informed. My options were crap for medicine but luckily I looked on here and other places and have changed them now =] Do biology, you'll limit yourself if you don't do it at least to AS
    Yes i'm sticking with biology - i love biology
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes i'm sticking with biology - i love biology
    Ikr, it's the best
Updated: January 26, 2012
New on TSR

Submitting your UCAS application

How long did it take for yours to be processed?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.