The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by Inadequatedreams

Is anyone going to those university medical camp things,- ?

do you mean medlink? if so, probably not.

University medical camp? Tell me more please :smile:

If you mean medlink/medism - just to warn you: I've had mixed views. Some say it's great, others say it's not worth the money. Bear in mind a lot of people will take this option, so it's not going to look 'outstandinly comitted'. If you can get work experience that you've organised yourself and didn't have to buy your way into I suspect it'll look just as - and to be honest if not more - impressive. As Sam said it's not the quantity of work experience you get, but what you learn from it, that counts.
Reply 383
Original post by Lily Academia

If you mean medlink/medism - just to warn you: I've had mixed views. Some say it's great, others say it's not worth the money. Bear in mind a lot of people will take this option, so it's not going to look 'outstandinly comitted'. If you can get work experience that you've organised yourself and didn't have to buy your way into I suspect it'll look just as - and to be honest if not more - impressive. As Sam said it's not the quantity of work experience you get, but what you learn from it, that counts.

This is the reason why i'm not going to shell out for it :]

Medlink is more geared towards helping you decide whether medicine is for you, whereas medsim is designed for those who know for sure they want to apply.

I did medsim and it was definitely worth the money, plus, it was an AWESOME weekend i.e. we got very VERY drunk :smile:
Could I possibly have anyone's opinion on volunteering in care homes? Is it the best easily appliable option to show commitment or would a hospice be better?
Original post by oli_G

Original post by oli_G
do you mean medlink? if so, probably not.

Fair does and why??
Original post by TomIsTheKing

University medical camp? Tell me more please :smile:

I was asking, to see if anyone had info, as i heard about uni's holding some programmes :L :wink:.

Original post by CreaturFear

Original post by CreaturFear
Medlink is more geared towards helping you decide whether medicine is for you, whereas medsim is designed for those who know for sure they want to apply.

I did medsim and it was definitely worth the money, plus, it was an AWESOME weekend i.e. we got very VERY drunk :smile:

:h: I'm considering it, but not quite sure. From what you just wrote it sounds brilliant... and is it Medsim? :facepalm: I think I put medism...:redface:?

Do you mind me asking another few questions questions? What did you do on it? How old were you when you did it? How much did is cost roughly? And HOW ON EARTH did you get drunk?! :eek: :redface: :tongue:
I was asking, to see if anyone had info, as i heard about uni's holding some programmes :L :wink:.

Ah I see. I think this calls for some googling then :confused:
hey guys :biggrin: what are your predicted gcse results?

Could I possibly have anyone's opinion on volunteering in care homes? Is it the best easily appliable option to show commitment or would a hospice be better?

Both would be brilliant - but so far I'm finding it difficult to get any. Definitely try and get some volunteer work there though :yep: apart from anything else, if you participate in volunteer work in a carehome you get to grips with the reality of medicine; it's essentially the 'less glamorous' side to it. How are you trying to get a volunteer placement? (I contacted a hospice with the response that you have to be over 18 :sadnod:, and have emailed a care home so far)

Ah I see. I think this calls for some googling then :confused:

To the google machine.
:LL i've been googling,, Imperial College did some residential course on medical sciences and med impulse.. on Exscitec website,, ( i found it through their website :L) anyone beeen on these?
Original post by killerqueen1

11 A*s 2 As (In English :mad: )
Wont get it though, probably 6-7 A*S :frown:

You?
11 A*s 2 As (In English :mad: )
Wont get it though, probably 6-7 A*S :frown:

You?

9 A*s and 2 A's (Maths and ICT). How are you doing 13 gcse's?! We could only do 11
Both would be brilliant - but so far I'm finding it difficult to get any. Definitely try and get some volunteer work there though :yep: apart from anything else, if you participate in volunteer work in a carehome you get to grips with the reality of medicine; it's essentially the 'less glamorous' side to it. How are you trying to get a volunteer placement? (I contacted a hospice with the response that you have to be over 18 :sadnod:, and have emailed a care home so far)

Went to a care home after my IT exam today but the manager wasn't in :frown:
I am lucky though cos I have a contact in a hospital so I'm doing 2 weeks in the summer shadowing :cool:
9 A*s and 2 A's (Maths and ICT). How are you doing 13 gcse's?! We could only do 11

I'm doing additional Maths not sure bout the other one though. :confused:
Do you reckon you will get them?
Reply 398

There are free ones you can apply to like the Sutton Trust ones. Definitely recommend them and you have to be selected to attend as opposed to paying to attend. I think the places are quite limited but it is worth a shot. I went last year and it was a great week, and I think it did help alot with me getting interviews

Mine are by no means outstanding :no: - everyone seems to have 12A*s; I took 10 GCSEs. Ah well: as Sam said, GCSEs are not the only part of your application and are by no means the most important bit. But anyway:

(A*) Biology
(A*) Spanish
(A*) Chemistry
(A*) Physics
(A*) English Language
(A*) English Literature
(A*) History

(Distinction) BTEC in Art and Design
(A) OCR Additional Mathematics FSMQ
(A) AS-level French (... exam was so difficult though. I'll be happy with a B to be perfectly honest; anyone doing an AS-level language: BEWARE OF THE JUMP! :eek:)
(A) AS-level Fine Art (had the exhibition at school tonight. Was so embarrasing; my work literally took up 2 huge walls of space :blush:)

Oh, and completed qualifications:

(A*) GCSE Mathematics - January 2011
(A*) GCSE Fine Art: - June 2010
(A) GCSE French: - June 2010

:redface: I'm not sure if I've hit all those A*s - History, English Lang, and AS-French were all really tough exams for me this year; I am so, so nervous (and anxious and eager and oh God why can't it be here already?!) for results day. You?

Latest

Trending

Trending