The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Original post by TheFootyKing19
It isn't though, is it? I'm saying, students dont have to do Maths, hence they can still get into Med.

Yes I know you're saying they don't have to do it.

You did say that maths is preferred but not advantageous though?
Reply 781
Sent out covering letters and CVs to GP surgeries today, i'm not expecting an replies anytime soon however :frown:
Original post by fletchdd02
Sent out covering letters and CVs to GP surgeries today, i'm not expecting an replies anytime soon however :frown:

You should try pestering them in person. It's much harder for them to ignore you :wink:
Reply 783
Original post by TomIsTheKing
You should try pestering them in person. It's much harder for them to ignore you :wink:

Yeah i'm giving them the heads up with my letter and then i'm going to start pestering them :biggrin:

Yeah i'm giving them the heads up with my letter and then i'm going to start pestering them :biggrin:

Haha. Will GP work experience help that much as I thought hospitals for work experience and care homes for volunteering would be better?

Also does anyone else think this thread has lost some of the vibrance it had last week?
^^^ Good Luck.

Haha. Will GP work experience help that much as I thought hospitals for work experience and care homes for volunteering would be better?

Also does anyone else think this thread has lost some of the vibrance it had last week?

Ooshk. It's a Monday. Everything dies down on a Monday :yes:

As for GPs - just as valuable as a hospital placement, although the latter is generally more sought after. It'll depend of course on what you can arrange to do; if you're stuck doing admin it's perhaps not going to be as useful, but a chance to do some shadowing of GPs and nurses would be really beneficial :yep:
Original post by Lily Academia

Ooshk. It's a Monday. Everything dies down on a Monday :yes:

As for GPs - just as valuable as a hospital placement, although the latter is generally more sought after. It'll depend of course on what you can arrange to do; if you're stuck doing admin it's perhaps not going to be as useful, but a chance to do some shadowing of GPs and nurses would be really beneficial :yep:

Yeah I suppose it is a Monday good point :smile:
Can you do anything long term at the GPs?
and how many weeks of work experience are you aiming for?
Reply 788
Hello! (first post ever!) I was hoping for a discussion like this.

Might sound absolutely stupid, but what's the difference between work experience and volunteering? Is one more preferable than the other?
Original post by Killki06
Hello! (first post ever!) I was hoping for a discussion like this.

Might sound absolutely stupid, but what's the difference between work experience and volunteering? Is one more preferable than the other?

Hello :biggrin:

Work eperience is mainly learning and shadowing whereas volunteering is actually doing things. They are both needed. I think work experience is needed to show you know what it is like to be a doctor and have made an informed decision and the volunteering is to show long term commitment which would be needed for medicine.

Yeah I suppose it is a Monday good point :smile:
Can you do anything long term at the GPs?
and how many weeks of work experience are you aiming for?

Mondays :yawn:

I'm doing 4 days at a GP Surgery next week (shadowing doctors, nurses... and a midwife? Apparently) - but I'm not sure about long term. It's the same with any type of wxp; essentially, although you're 'helping' it's a bit irksome for the staff to arrange. Volunteering tends to be a more long-term commitment.

As many as physically possible! :yep:

Good thinking! I sent out tonnes of letters today too, if i dont get any replies they wont hear the end of it hahaa has anyone noticed how hardly any GP's have email addresses? I'm thinking it's to avoid us...... :smile:
Reply 792
Thanks, how's all the work experience going for you? I'm going to send off some letters or make phone calls to some local GPs (whichever ones better) my nan is good friends with a GP, so maybe she can slip me in a good word!

I don't know how valuable working in a primary school/pharmacy is? I've done one week in a pharmacy and will soon finish 2 months working with 4 yr olds in reception?

Mondays :yawn:

I'm doing 4 days at a GP Surgery next week (shadowing doctors, nurses... and a midwife? Apparently) - but I'm not sure about long term. It's the same with any type of wxp; essentially, although you're 'helping' it's a bit irksome for the staff to arrange. Volunteering tends to be a more long-term commitment.

As many as physically possible! :yep:

Ah I see what you mean with the long term thing. :cool:
Also I know someone who works in a hospital and I am doing 2 weeks this summer but it is just in gereatrics. The same as where I was last year but do you know if it would be essential to go to a variety of departments as in Gereatrics they treat all kinds of illnesses?
Original post by Killki06

I'd imagine a pharmacy would be fairly valuable in terms of work experience. If you're as lucky as me to know someone in a hospital then that would be ideal however otherwise you just have to pester, pester, pester and get on the waiting lists for hospital programs ASAP. Also care homes are easy for volunteering, I went today and it seems fairly simple what you have to do in order to start. Especially since some care homes have on site medical facilities which you could talk about in an interview etc.

Ah I see what you mean with the long term thing. :cool:
Also I know someone who works in a hospital and I am doing 2 weeks this summer but it is just in gereatrics. The same as where I was last year but do you know if it would be essential to go to a variety of departments as in Gereatrics they treat all kinds of illnesses?

It's not 'essential' to go anywhere specific; Med schools know that it's difficult to arrange wxp but still expect you to make the effort at getting some medical-related shadowing and/or volunteer work etc. To be on the safe side I'd recommend you get as much as you can; you're bound to learn something from it that could prove useful when you're grilled in an interview.

Well done on that placement though! Geriatrics sounds excellent :yes: - I've just sent of a letter to a consultant Anaesthetist for work next year. Interview for hospital volunteering placement in 3 days time :eek:
Reply 796

It's a different aspect of the NHS. Primary care.

Why would it be less beneficial?

Yes, I agree it has.

Anyone got any cool medical related news stories?
It's not 'essential' to go anywhere specific; Med schools know that it's difficult to arrange wxp but still expect you to make the effort at getting some medical-related shadowing and/or volunteer work etc. To be on the safe side I'd recommend you get as much as you can; you're bound to learn something from it that could prove useful when you're grilled in an interview.

Well done on that placement though! Geriatrics sounds excellent :yes: - I've just sent of a letter to a consultant Anaesthetist for work next year. Interview for hospital volunteering placement in 3 days time :eek:

Cool :cool: Ive always wondered, what you actually do when volunteering in a hospital? :confused:

Good luck on your interview I'm sure you'll do fine :smile:
It's a different aspect of the NHS. Primary care.

Why would it be less beneficial?

Yes, I agree it has.

Anyone got any cool medical related news stories?

I was only saying it as my friend did work experience in a GP and said it was mainly Admin work.

Yeah some guy shot off a wart on his finger with a shotgun. It was surprisingly effective but unfortunately he is now in jail for possesion of an illegal firearm. I feel sorry for the guy. I mean first the wart and now this :s-smilie:

Cool :cool: Ive always wondered, what you actually do when volunteering in a hospital? :confused:

Good luck on your interview I'm sure you'll do fine :smile:

Thankyou. Hopefully.

It depends - there are so many things to do! Tour guiding (visitors, family members etc); working in a cafe/shop; tea-trolly service, giving out food to patients etc - it all depends on what ward your on or where you're based in the hospital itself. Shall find out Thursday :yep:

Latest

Trending

Trending