The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1580
Original post by Natalie21

Thank you :biggrin: So glad I've got it sorted :biggrin: Now to get my week in surgery sorted and 2 weeks in hospital :biggrin:

It sounds like you've got some good things lined up :biggrin: I've also sorted out a couple of things recently, it feels good to have some definite placements :smile:
Original post by oli_G
It sounds like you've got some good things lined up :biggrin: I've also sorted out a couple of things recently, it feels good to have some definite placements :smile:

Awesome what you set up?
Reply 1582
Original post by oli_G
Good luck, what's AAU? :biggrin:

Acute Admissions Unit
Original post by fletchdd02
Acute Admissions Unit

Noobs, what can you do with them? :P
Reply 1584
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
Noobs, what can you do with them? :P

Are you talking to me, or am I right? :colondollar:
Original post by fletchdd02
Are you talking to me, or am I right? :colondollar:

Well AAU does traditionally mean that yes :smile:
Reply 1586
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
Well AAU does traditionally mean that yes :smile:

Oh good, didn't want to look silly now did I? :colondollar:
Original post by oli_G
Good luck, what's AAU? :biggrin:

Thank you :smile:
yayayayayayayayayay................i got a definite placement for next summer at the hospital for 5 days......they do a special training program for people who want to go into medecine....so thats quite cool.....and i wanted your lots opinion........for volenteering i applied to the british red cross for events first aid (where at certain events we are on call) and community first aid (which is teaching other people first aid)....i got replies from both sectors but i dont know whih one to choose.....shall i do both or just choose one....?????? :confused:

HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!

p.s the times for either dont clash

p.s.s i know i cant spell :wink:
right for next year im doing a first aid course, joining the medicine and medical ethics societies at college and an abnormality course hopefully :biggrin:
[QUOTE='x[Aa$iyah]x;33163065']yayayayayayayayayay................i got a definite placement for next summer at the hospital for 5 days......they do a special training program for people who want to go into medecine....so thats quite cool.....and i wanted your lots opinion........for volenteering i applied to the british red cross for events first aid (where at certain events we are on call) and community first aid (which is teaching other people first aid)....i got replies from both sectors but i dont know whih one to choose.....shall i do both or just choose one....?????? :confused:

HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!

p.s the times for either dont clash

p.s.s i know i cant spell :wink:

do both? If you find the time commitment too much then drop the least fun/interesting/useful one!
Reply 1591
Original post by oli_G
Haha, I take it you are a Londoner? Maybe try another hospital? :biggrin:

Haha yup! You see I tried, and one hospital near by isn't free for a single week in 2011 and 2012 for work experience which is kind of annoying because there is one girl who got a family friend to get her a 2 week work experience placement over the summer which she didn't need as she had another hospital placement as well XD But oh well! Guess if that chance was available anyone would take it!
Reply 1592
Original post by Reese

Original post by Reese
Haha yup! You see I tried, and one hospital near by isn't free for a single week in 2011 and 2012 for work experience which is kind of annoying because there is one girl who got a family friend to get her a 2 week work experience placement over the summer which she didn't need as she had another hospital placement as well XD But oh well! Guess if that chance was available anyone would take it!

Ah right, well i'm sure if you keep trying something'll come up. It's quality not quantity with w.e. anyway :smile:
Hmm I might organise one for next summer - I just organised 3 weeks of work experience at 2 different GP surgeries (1 week at one and 2 weeks at the other) :biggrin:.

Original post by oli_G
ah well done. i'm pleased :biggrin:

I'm pleased for you too - you're doing much better than me in terms of arranging work experience :frown: all I've managed to get is 4 days of shadowing a GP and a week in admin at a medical centre!

WHATS YOUR SECRET?! :colondollar:
Just a heads up for people trying to get work experience, I have had lots of experience with work experience. (Not Bragging. :P)

I recommend; applying at not an A&E hospital, the people there are much more likely to take you as they will be less busy, you can see clinical trials and that sort of thing.
Also join ST Johns Ambulance, you receive first aid training as well as; PATIENT CONTACT : BOOM.
Original post by Me-A-Doctor?
Just a heads up for people trying to get work experience, I have had lots of experience with work experience. (Not Bragging. :P)

I recommend; applying at not an A&E hospital, the people there are much more likely to take you as they will be less busy, you can see clinical trials and that sort of thing.
Also join ST Johns Ambulance, you receive first aid training as well as; PATIENT CONTACT : BOOM.

Not necessarily, the person concerned could simply avoid asking to see the A&E Department of the hospital.

It also varies wildly across the UK.
Reply 1596
Hi, a quick question that I would really appreciate being answered.

I am currently a 5th year student studying in Scotland.

I have recently received my sqa results-

3 Higher A (Physics, Chemistry, Biology)
1 Higher B (English)
1 Advanced Higher A (Mathematics)
1 A level B (Chinese) (taken in 3rd year)

I have also passed the piano grade 6 test and did all the necessary volunteering and work experience in hospital. I am considering applying to universities in Scotland next year to study medicine. I have not yet taken the UKCAT test.

Could you please be tell me the likelihood of a Scottish university giving me an interview. That would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Thank you.
Original post by Me-A-Doctor?

In my experience I have found it's mostly the teaching hospitals that provide work experience.
A&E work experience is amazing! I'm really interested in emergency medicine now. Although it was sad when a patient could not be resuscitated.....but the rest, I really enjoyed it! :s-smilie:
Reply 1599
I actually loved working on a diabetes ward, although i also have an A&E placement lined up, which I am really looking forward to!

Latest

Trending

Trending