The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lily Academia

TSR is riddled with GCSE results at the moment! They're not hard to find :lol:

Mine were spoilered - but totalled up to 8A*s and 2As, but should (hopefully, perhaps?) get AAAAAAA in AS-levels, whch I know isn't the same, and they're still likely to pull me up short on the GCSE front but oh well. I'm nice, I've got wxp and am arranging more and I intend to thrash those BMAT/UKCAT, so with a little bit of luck I still have a chance :yes:

Negged 3 times? Honestly - I am going on what I've seen today. To anyone who has done brilliantly on GCSEs well done, you deserve those A*s and to anyone who hasn't? You still have just as much a chance.
Reply 1781
Original post by oli_G
Not at all. Don't apply to Oxford, Edinburgh or Birmingham.

Ace your AS levels (ie get high UMS >270) and you could apply to Cambridge.

All hope is notlost.

Hahaha cool! What's your opinion on my chance of getting into King's? I think I may get a couple of papers remarked because I felt my eng lit went really well but I only got an A, and I was one mark off an A* in some of my other subjects so may put that forward too! Might as well try I guess :rolleyes:
Reply 1782
Original post by Frankiej

Original post by Frankiej
Hahaha cool! What's your opinion on my chance of getting into King's? I think I may get a couple of papers remarked because I felt my eng lit went really well but I only got an A, and I was one mark off an A* in some of my other subjects so may put that forward too! Might as well try I guess :rolleyes:

I'd say good. I'm also getting literature re-marked :smile:

Obviously GCSEs are only one indicator and you'll have to do well in A levels et al.
Original post by Natalie21
But it would make me feel better :P

mine says

3701H English B Tier H A 52

3711H English Literature B Tier A* 58

looks like we do a different course - so maybe ignore everything I just said :P

Original post by oli_G
Oh you're on AQA B :tongue:

Meh i'm still going to get mine re-marked and see how it goes. :smile:

The numbers aren't your marks, they're how many 'points' the grade you got is worth

58 for A*
52 for A
46 for B
Original post by scratcher
The numbers aren't your marks, they're how many 'points' the grade you got is worth

58 for A*
52 for A
46 for B

Oh okay thanks! Got to call school and find out my actual grade then!
Reply 1785
Original post by oli_G
I'd say good. I'm also getting literature re-marked :smile:

Obviously GCSEs are only one indicator and you'll have to do well in A levels et al.

Yup very true! It's just that King's looks at your UKCAT and GCSE results when you apply and looking at the successful candidates on here they all seem to have got 10A* or more D:
Reply 1786

Negged 3 times? Honestly - I am going on what I've seen today. To anyone who has done brilliantly on GCSEs well done, you deserve those A*s and to anyone who hasn't? You still have just as much a chance.

They're just jelous.

And yes, you are right. Getting straight A*s is good but doesn't really matter much.

Even Cambridge just say 'candidates will have a good number of As and A*s', none of this (you must have 10 A*s rubbish).
Fixed that for you :rolleyes:

I am the same; I was utterly, truly convinced that I'd got a D in French. More than anything, I'm glad I kicked that A I got at GCSE (which always bugged me a bit :tongue:)

EDIT:

Also - how is the hospital volunteering going? I got a phone call saying my application was a success for the WRVS :woo: but since mum answered it and said I'd ring back to arrange when to start (I was in Bristol on work experience at this point) I haven't started yet :no: I've called 3 times, but they're a busy place and they have people to fix up, so I'll just keep trying and have to be patient (which I'm quite bad at. Not really a virtue I possess... :tongue:)

Hey Lily :smile: Just wondering, when did you apply for WRVS? I want to make an application for my local hospital, but don't want to wait a long time (more than 3 months) before I can actually start.
Original post by Boom533
Just a side note, but I saw a guy poo himself at work experience today :O

And for some reason...I was interested :/

LMAO! :eek3:

Original post by Natalie21
Hey guys well done on all your results :biggrin:

I got 9A*s and 2As and 2As in my AS Levels :smile:

Really happy about the AS levels but annoyed about the GCSEs getting the 2As re-marked.

BTW Oli_G did you do AQA English Literature because think the marking was mucked up - our school which last year got over 40A* out of 100 this year only got 4 (1 of which was me :smile: ) - so they're all being re-marked - probably same thing happened to you!

Congratulations! :eek: Impressive - especially the AS levels! :redface:

Here's a really useful explanation about UMS.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=8908908#post890890
Original post by erniiee

Original post by erniiee
Hey Lily :smile: Just wondering, when did you apply for WRVS? I want to make an application for my local hospital, but don't want to wait a long time (more than 3 months) before I can actually start.

Hmm, well it varies from hospital to hospital, but I applied quite a while back when I was amidst all the exams. I then got a call from them to arrange an interview date and I said anytime from my last exam onwards (and I said that date, obviously, only I can't remember it now :redface:) after about 2 more weeks after my exams had finished they said that I was eligible for interview and asked me to take various things such as ID and references. Getting references from people took another 2 weeks, and then I went to the interview. After the interview they said it took around 7 weeks for applications to go through, only mine was a bit less than that (4 or 5). The whole thing is very tedious to go through, but it's definitely worth applying now. You've just got to be a bit patient and tenacious with it all :yep:

Any specific reason why you want it to be arranged quickly? (asides from not wanting to wait) - if so, you could inform them of that and they might be a bit more lenient with matters, I don't know :no:...
I've heard rumours about certain universities i.e. Oxbridge, Birmingham requiring 8A*s minimum at GCSE for entry into the university for medicine? Is this true as I got 7A*s and 3As lol...:frown:
Reply 1791
hi i for my GCSE's i got

Biology - A*
Chemistry - A*
Physics - A*
Maths - A*
Geography - A*
Religious Studies (SC) - A*
English - A*
English Literature - A*
Statistics - A
Human Health and Physiology - A
Business Studies - A
Citizenship (SC) - B

do you think that this results is good enough for Cambridge, Imperial or Kings?
Advice is appreciated
Reply 1792
Original post by FailedMyExams
I've heard rumours about certain universities i.e. Oxbridge, Birmingham requiring 8A*s minimum at GCSE for entry into the university for medicine? Is this true as I got 7A*s and 3As lol...:frown:

Yes, There's no point in applying to Birmingham with less than 8A*s, Oxbridge is more difficult as although neither have a set number. Oxford states that "On average, applicants hold around 70% of GCSEs grades at A*" and the stats from last year (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1331767) show that the average for offer holders was roughly 85% and they had on average 9.7 A*s. Cambridge appear to have less emphasis on GCSEs and A*s, and the average successful applicant had 8.4 A*s, which is lower than Oxford. So although you could with a strong BMAT still have a good chance with Oxford, Cambridge is probably going to be the better choice of the two (although you need good UMS at AS).

Oh dear, seem to have written some thing of an essay :colondollar:

The requirements of each university for GCSEs is here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements

Hope this helps.
Reply 1793
Original post by MrDoctor
hi i for my GCSE's i got

Biology - A*
Chemistry - A*
Physics - A*
Maths - A*
Geography - A*
Religious Studies (SC) - A*
English - A*
English Literature - A*
Statistics - A
Human Health and Physiology - A
Business Studies - A
Citizenship (SC) - B

do you think that this results is good enough for Cambridge, Imperial or Kings?
Advice is appreciated

7A*s would certainly give you a good chance at all the universities you've listed but from what I can gather Kings like lots of A*s, not sure though. My other post ^ has the info for Cambridge, and as for Imperial I haven't heard they're particularly strict on having lots of A*s but again not entirely sure.
Those results, providing the rest of the application is strong (A Levels, Work Experience, Personal Statement e.t.c) are good enough for any Med School apart from Birmingham and perhaps Oxford. Hope this helps

They're excellent results :smile:
Original post by erniiee
LMAO! :eek3:

Congratulations! :eek: Impressive - especially the AS levels! :redface:

Here's a really useful explanation about UMS.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=8908908#post890890

Thank you :smile: I'm so glad with my AS Levels I was more excited about them then the GCSEs!

Thanks for that link :biggrin:

Do you know if to get an A* in A2 its over 90% raw marks or UMS marks?
Hi i for my GCSE's I got:

Biology - A*
Chemistry - A
Physics - A
Maths - A
Statistics - A
History - B
Business Studies - B
Religious Studies (SC) - B
ICT - B
English Literature - B
English - C

Do you think that these results are good enough for any medical schools?

And any medical schools that you would advise me to apply to?:confused:
I have a bit of a problem in trying to find relevant work experience.

I have emailed and called many places including various elderly care homes but have been told repeatedly that you need to be 18 due to the fact that they would have to keep me under full supervision according to law otherwise.

I have only had 1 week of work exp at a hospital which was highly structured with many other people and showed all types of jobs in the NHS(even hospital security, clinical governance and finance). although it was pretty useful.

i would have liked to shadow a doctor but apparantly you can't do that until you're 17. A lot of my friends have shadowed doctors anyway but i dont know if you can declare it in your personal statement as it is illegal. i could easily find a doctor to shadow but dont know if i should because i is illegal and i dont know if you're allowed to declare it. should i just do it anyway?

some advice would be very helpful.

sorry this is such a long post:smile:
^ I'm 16 and I phoned up about 30 different hospitals and GP surgeries and ended up with 5 weeks WE this summer. Just keep trying, it is very difficult and frustrating:smile: Luckily, the hospital I did it had said I could come back any time coz I became friends with the doctors on the ward I was on :biggrin:
i dont want to be one of those nobs who asks if they are good enough for medicine wiht loads of a*s but i got 7a*s 2as and 1b in english literature. will that b in english literature make a difference to my medicine application?
Reply 1799
Original post by Bord3r

Original post by Bord3r
Yes, There's no point in applying to Birmingham with less than 8A*s, Oxbridge is more difficult as although neither have a set number. Oxford states that "On average, applicants hold around 70% of GCSEs grades at A*" and the stats from last year (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1331767) show that the average for offer holders was roughly 85% and they had on average 9.7 A*s. Cambridge appear to have less emphasis on GCSEs and A*s, and the average successful applicant had 8.4 A*s, which is lower than Oxford. So although you could with a strong BMAT still have a good chance with Oxford, Cambridge is probably going to be the better choice of the two (although you need good UMS at AS).

Oh dear, seem to have written some thing of an essay :colondollar:

The requirements of each university for GCSEs is here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements

Hope this helps.

Where did you get the info about the average GCSEs for a Cambridge applicant. I've been trying to find similar info myself.

Latest

Trending

Trending