The Student Room Group
I think you can do a 5 year PhD straight after a Bachelors.
The general route, as far as I know, is to do a bachelors eg. BA, BSc, do a masters eg. MA, MPhil, Then a PhD.

I'm planning on going this route- BA, MPhil, PhD.
Reply 3
i dont understand what the point is in doing a phd?? is it jus someting ppl do because they enjoy their subject and want to independently research more? and how do people fund such a lenghty study? surely it must put ppl in loads of debt?
Reply 4
Platocrates
I think you can do a 5 year PhD straight after a Bachelors.

3 years in the UK (some are now 4 years - inclusive of a pre-year. These tend to be in the sciences and fully funded).

--------------

louise28k
i dont understand what the point is in doing a phd?? is it jus someting ppl do because they enjoy their subject and want to independently research more? and how do people fund such a lenghty study? surely it must put ppl in loads of debt?

It depends on the subject - you get paid to do most science PhDs - arts and humanities is a different kettle of fish though...
Fluffy
3 years in the UK (some are now 4 years - inclusive of a pre-year. These tend to be in the sciences and fully funded).

Yeah but you need to do an extra year to incorporate the masters.

Otherwise no one would do a masters and go straight to PhD level.
Reply 6
The point of doing a phd is you get a better job and more money! duh!
I've also found out that you can do a phd after you have a decent degree. x
The point of getting a phd in my opinion is to become either an expert in a subject or to become a professor. You don't get much more money if you have a Phd in History to work in most jobs, but it will allow you to become a senior researcher or something like that.
shady lane
The point of getting a phd in my opinion is to become either an expert in a subject or to become a professor. You don't get much more money if you have a Phd in History to work in most jobs, but it will allow you to become a senior researcher or something like that.

I think most employers would look at your 'higher' qualifications quite seriously. Someone with a Masters and PhD is obviously going to be more of an expert in a subject than someone with just a Bachelors degree.
Reply 9
Platocrates

you don't need a masters to do a PhD, you can go straight from a BSc to a 3-year PhD programme.
Reply 10
but how much is it to do a phd?? how demanding is it, are lectures etc involved and is funding available?? the idea really appeals to me but can you not become a lecturer without a phd? i know some of my lectureres are 'doctors' and some arent
Reply 11
Platocrates

Erm, no you don't!!!

I went straight to PhD (well D.Phil) as did 99% of my friends...

A few places specify that they like you to have a Masters, a few make it a condition, but not all that many...
Reply 12
I don't see why a MA graduate should be disadvantaged in comparision to a phd graduate. Phds usually have higher wage expectation and are 4 or more years older than MA graduates (employers usually prefer younger applicants for junior positions). And don't forget that a phd is very challenging and takes a lot of time (during which you could have made money, and enjoyed a balanced lifestyle). So unless you feel that you really really have to do it (or want to become a researcher or university teacher), I would stick with a MA. I have never come across minimum qualification requirements beyond MA for any other job. And once you have a job, it really is up to your performance, and not your degree, when it comes to promotions.
Could someone please explain what the difference is?
And can someone go straight into a doctorial degree after completing a honours degree? Or do they have to do a masters first?

A master's degree is a comparatively short (typically of no more than two years' duration) postgraduate course that may be taught (like an undergrad degree), obtained by research, or some combination of the two. A PhD is a higher qualification, obtainable only by research. In the UK, they typically take three years. Candidates spend the bulk of this time conducting research in their chosen area, and at the end they must submit and defend a thesis and demonstrate appropriate general knowledge of their field.

It's by no means necessary* to do a master's degree before starting a PhD, but there are a number of circumstances under which it would make sense to do so. A taught master's can be useful to those wanting to move into a field different to that in which they obtained their bachelor's, or to those who want to work in a newly-established or interdisciplinary area that is not well covered in most undergraduate courses. A master's by research is an excellent way of finding out what it's like to do real research in your discipline - in most cases, it bears only the most superficial resemblance to undergraduate practicals, and if you're thinking of doing a PhD, it's vital that you realise this and that you are comfortable with the sort of work required before you start applying.

* That said, in fields where most universities now offer a fourth-year master's as a bolt-on to their undergrad courses (particularly the physical sciences, maths, and engineering), a master's degree of some sort is commonly expected.
Fluffy
Erm, no you don't!!!

I went straight to PhD (well D.Phil) as did 99% of my friends...

A few places specify that they like you to have a Masters, a few make it a condition, but not all that many...

Cool, my bad.

--------------

Can someone now explain to me the point of doing a Masters if you intend to do a PhD then?
Reply 15
I'd just like to point out one thing: I know in the sciences it's still quite common to go to a PhD straight from undergrad. However, as for the Arts and Humanities this is now virtually impossible, as most funding bodies now require a Masters (can, however, in some cases count as the first year of the PhD) with an element of formal "training". In History (my own subject), for instance, basically everyone has to be registered to do a Masters first, no matter what. Since the AHRC has revamped their "training requirements" I don't know of a single person who got onto a History PhD without (officially) doing a Masters first (not necessarily a taught Masters, though).

Latest

Trending

Trending