The Student Room Group

What universities shall I try with Adjustment?

I've completed my exams and my original predicted grades were AAB; and so I firmed Southampton. Now they're all finished, including the marks I got in January, I'm on track for A*,A,A/A*,A*,A. So I thought I'd try the adjustment system if these predictions come true.

I am perfectly happy with Southampton, but universities such as Durham, Exeter and Bristol really have been my dream. I understand they're very competitive, along with the course, and I don't think Durham even accept anyone through adjustment.

However, what do you think my chances are like?
Reply 1
Come to Bristol :biggrin:

Sorry not helpful :redface: but spoke to you about all of this awhile ago an am glad that you're going for it! Best of luck :smile:
Reapply in the next UCAS cycle or go to Southampton.
Reply 3
Original post by A level Az
Reapply in the next UCAS cycle or go to Southampton.

Why? If you use adjustment you keep your place at your firm so it doesn't matter if he's unsuccessful, it's worth a try.
Original post by Pheebs1201
Why? If you use adjustment you keep your place at your firm so it doesn't matter if he's unsuccessful, it's worth a try.

Because adjustment never works for top universities as they'll have filled all of their places, and I thought he might like to reapply because Southampton isn't that great, and he could do a lot better with those grades (assuming he achieves them).
Reply 5
Because adjustment never works for top universities as they'll have filled all of their places, and I thought he might like to reapply because Southampton isn't that great, and he could do a lot better with those grades (assuming he achieves them).

Ah I see, I appreciate re-applying may be best if it doesn't work but there's no harm in trying Adjusment other than disappointment.
Reply 6
I don't think it's worth the fees to reapply. Southampton isn't exactly a bad university anyway >_<
Reply 7
Original post by RobertWhite
I don't think it's worth the fees to reapply. Southampton isn't exactly a bad university anyway >_<

No not at all its a very good university in fact!!
It's worth going for, seeing as you lose nothing by going through Adjustment. If your grades are as high as you say then definitely do it. Hope you get whatever you want, good luck!
Reply 9
Because adjustment never works for top universities as they'll have filled all of their places

so are you saying that adjustments a waste of time? ive currently got an offer from nottingham uni for AAB for accounting and finance but think i may get better. Do you not think its worth trying to get into unis like Warwick, LSE through adjustment?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Ade1992
so are you saying that adjustments a waste of time? ive currently got an offer from nottingham uni for AAB for accounting and finance but think i may get better. Do you not think its worth trying to get into unis like Warick, LSC through adjustment?

Well considering you can't even spell Warwick and LSE, I'd say no. Besides, you'll have no chance at LSE as they are top 5 and so don't really take much part in adjustment, and Warwick isn't that much better than Nottingham so that would be a waste of time too (I've been to both).
Reply 11
In all honesty I don't think adjustment would be successful for such a popular course at such very high ranking unis. Southampton is a very good RG university and well renowned for research, I can't see why you'd really want to consider losing that place to go to Exeter anyway, there's not a lot of difference between the two in terms of rankings over the last 10 years.

Quick Reply

Latest