The Student Room Group

Could I get into a better university for law?

So currently, I have received offers from Exeter to study Business and law, Reading, Surrey and Westminster (all to study law). Although I am grateful to have received these offers, I had an ambition to receive admission from a Russel group uni to study law, but I couldn't because of my predicted grades. I know I can apply through clearing in august if I attain or get higher grades, but realistically, do you think I would have a chance to get an offer through clearing to study law at one of the top universities?
Exeter is a member of the Russell Group.

Without knowing your subjects and grades it's hard to gauge whether you'd have more luck elsewhere or not.

In any event, no reason you can't accept whichever offers you want now and then self-release into clearing later if you do much better on results day and other unis of interest have courses in clearing you are interested in.

I'd note that you don't need to do a law degree to work as a solicitor at all, and can do any degree followed by a GDL and still work as a barrister.
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Exeter is a member of the Russell Group.

Without knowing your subjects and grades it's hard to gauge whether you'd have more luck elsewhere or not.

In any event, no reason you can't accept whichever offers you want now and then self-release into clearing later if you do much better on results day and other unis of interest have courses in clearing you are interested in.

I'd note that you don't need to do a law degree to work as a solicitor at all, and can do any degree followed by a GDL and still work as a barrister.

Hiii
So I take psychology, Economics, Business studies and I did an EPQ, Im not sure about my predicted grades but i think it may be either (ABB/BBB) But Im certain I can get better grades in the summer.

And that is true but I genuinely don't have an interest for any other course, but I will consider your advice, thank you :smile:
You can always go through Adjustment in August however the grades required tend to be higher than the standard requirement. In a way, this may be good for you as it means you have something to aim for and, on occasion, you can find information about whether universities offered places in Adjustment and what the grades were that they required.
Original post by Uhhcallmerae
Hiii
So I take psychology, Economics, Business studies and I did an EPQ, Im not sure about my predicted grades but i think it may be either (ABB/BBB) But Im certain I can get better grades in the summer.

And that is true but I genuinely don't have an interest for any other course, but I will consider your advice, thank you :smile:

The combination of business studies might be a limiting factor for a few unis, although those ones don't generally use clearing anyway.

Exeter is probably your best bet pending your final results - if you get significantly better grades on results day it may be a consideration to have a look in clearing at what is available on the offchance. And if nothing of interest, you can still stick with whatever firm choice you went with :smile:
Original post by ohdearstudying
You can always go through Adjustment in August however the grades required tend to be higher than the standard requirement. In a way, this may be good for you as it means you have something to aim for and, on occasion, you can find information about whether universities offered places in Adjustment and what the grades were that they required.

Adjustment doesn't exist any more.
Original post by Uhhcallmerae
So currently, I have received offers from Exeter to study Business and law, Reading, Surrey and Westminster (all to study law). Although I am grateful to have received these offers, I had an ambition to receive admission from a Russel group uni to study law, but I couldn't because of my predicted grades. I know I can apply through clearing in august if I attain or get higher grades, but realistically, do you think I would have a chance to get an offer through clearing to study law at one of the top universities?

Hi there!

Surrey is a leading research-intensive university in its own right, and is also associated with other Russell Group universities such as Exeter, Bristol, and Southampton through the SETsquared Partnership, which is a world-leading Business Incubator, that offers its students a variety of programmes such as paid internships, which I have been a part of, that helps develop professional skills through experience gained working for real businesses. This isn't solely related to business studies, as it helps students from any course develop key transferable skills.

Try not to worry too much about which university is in which group, as your degree is only what you can make of it throughout the process, and Surrey, just like many other universities, is full of opportunities waiting for you. Keep an open mind, and I'm sure success will follow.

Hope this helps!

Marko
Accounting and Finance BSc
Reply 7
through clearing it is unlikely the top unis will offer law, however if you do get something like A*AA, I'd highly suggest re-applying for even better universities. don't rush into a university when you might not be happy later on. have no regrets, university is such a short time in your life.
I believe it remains the case that most elite law firms recruit from a fairly limited pool of top universities but this is a function of the fact that the students there generally have strong academics and extra-curriculars. Notwithstanding this, they will usually consider good candidates who do not go to these universities.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending