The Student Room Group

The Cider Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
Original post by USRaphael
Was in a bar thursday and saw a single bottle of cider for $15, wanted to get it to see if it was really worth that much (for that price I'd expect it to be the best cider ever) but couldn't quite justify parting with my cash :tongue:

:eek: Maybe it was the elixir of life!

Original post by gerahumu
I work at Westons Cider Mill, home of Stowford Press and Henry Westons etc. I get a great discount!

They've recently rented 'GL' cider from Bulmers, it's delicious!

You lucky bugger. :tongue: Words cannot express the envy I now feel for you. :puppyeyes:

Making some more raspberry cider currently - in my Spanish class we have to do presentations next week, and I've decided to do mines on homebrewing and get the whole class pissed. :colone:
Original post by superwolf
:eek: Maybe it was the elixir of life!

I'd like to think so, except they had strongbow for $8 so maybe not......:unsure:

Original post by superwolf
Making some more raspberry cider currently - in my Spanish class we have to do presentations next week, and I've decided to do mines on homebrewing and get the whole class pissed. :colone:

Sounds good. :five:

Real raspberries or jam?
Reply 1182
I'd like to think so, except they had strongbow for $8 so maybe not......:unsure:

Sounds good. :five:

Real raspberries or jam?

Raspberry jam (homemade). It's looking good and ferment-y now. :biggrin:
Getting stuff for mulled cider when I go shopping tonight :sogood:

Looks fairly simple as well: http://www.real-cider.co.uk/mulledcider-recipe/
Reply 1184
Original post by Alofleicester
Getting stuff for mulled cider when I go shopping tonight :sogood:

Looks fairly simple as well: http://www.real-cider.co.uk/mulledcider-recipe/

Awesome! :biggrin: I've made mulled cider a few times, once using a packet of spices and the others just making it up myself. It's really easy and incredibly tasty. :drool: I used most of the same ingredients as that recipe, plus some ground nutmeg, ginger and a bit of star anise. Tasty tasty tasty!

Got a nice-smelling batch of ginger cider on the go back home - it's a slow-brewing one using cider yeast, and I've got high hopes for it (assuming the landlady doesn't find it and throw it out in my absence :woo:).
stocking up on some cider tomorrow :sexface:

oh yes, christmas will be good :biggrin:
Gonna start increasing the breadth of my production this term. I've done a fair few plain apple ciders to know what I'm doing. First plan is to get some mixed berry on the go, like kopparberg type stuff. Also going to experiment with apple and pear juice combined as I think it tastes better than either apple or pear juice on their own. In fact, I hate apple juice!

And I'm going to start making more wines and I'll attempt mead too. I'm currently maturing a strawberry ribena wine which is rather good with a dash of water but a bit sharp without.

Oh, and fermented vodka. I'm probably not going to experiment with frost distillation as from what I gather you need a hell of a lot of the original drink to increase the ABV by a good amount. I think 20% ABV from fermentation only will be enough, especially as it's going to get mixed with coke/lemonade anyway.
(edited 11 years ago)
Went to a bar and had two American ciders tonight, both were pretty good.

Original Sin - New York - pretty nice, quite dry and unsweet but definitely very drinkable.

Woodchuck bourbon - Vermont - VERY nice, it was like drinking a forest, woody with apples, one of the best ciders I've ever drunk. I've tried original Woodchuck before and it was very sweet, this one wasn't as sweet but had a much nicer undertone. :drool:
Reply 1188
Went to a bar and had two American ciders tonight, both were pretty good.

Original Sin - New York - pretty nice, quite dry and unsweet but definitely very drinkable.

Woodchuck bourbon - Vermont - VERY nice, it was like drinking a forest, woody with apples, one of the best ciders I've ever drunk. I've tried original Woodchuck before and it was very sweet, this one wasn't as sweet but had a much nicer undertone. :drool:

I wanna drink a forest! :puppyeyes:
So.........I found a bottle of cider in the back of the fridge, it's about 2 years old (I feel pretty embarrassed admitting that the fridge was so full of crap I didn't notice it), anyone know if it's ok to drink?
So.........I found a bottle of cider in the back of the fridge, it's about 2 years old (I feel pretty embarrassed admitting that the fridge was so full of crap I didn't notice it), anyone know if it's ok to drink?

Hmm, commercial ciders usually have a shelf life/Best Before Date of about a year iirc - which will be extended by being if the fridge. It should be fine, and I imagine it will be like homebrew - if it has gone off, it will be vinegery, so just throw it out if it doesn't taste nice.
Reply 1191

Disgraceful! :colonhash:

:tongue:
At a beer & cider festival - orgasmic Brown snout, well worth the name :sexface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bulmers No.17 is the one!!!!
Original post by James A
Bulmers No.17 is the one!!!!

No 17 - that is one of the red flavoured ones isn't it?
Original post by rmhumphries
No 17 - that is one of the red flavoured ones isn't it?

Yeah the red one!

I can't wait till summer, chill out in my garden, a glass of cold cider with ice cubes. Nothing beats a chilled cider :teehee:

:coma:
Original post by James A
Yeah the red one!

I can't wait till summer, chill out in my garden, a glass of cold cider with ice cubes. Nothing beats a chilled cider :teehee:

:coma:

Chilled cider in a sunny park or beer garden is certainly one of the better things in life :smile:
Went out this evening. Can't believe that when I asked for cider, they only had Blackthorn. Nothing wrong with Blackthorn, mind. Just would have preferred a bit of a selection.
Mmmm, Rekorderlig :drool:.
Reply 1199
Original post by OU Student
Went out this evening. Can't believe that when I asked for cider, they only had Blackthorn. Nothing wrong with Blackthorn, mind. Just would have preferred a bit of a selection.

Life is hard. :sadnod:

Quick Reply

Latest