The Student Room Group

2.2 :(

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
You can jazz it all you want. At the end of the day a 2.2 sucks nuts.

Let me guess - you're a precious 2.1 BA student.
I think people who struggle at uni are out of their depth. To me it highlights the importance of choosing an appropriate course.

On the other hand, someone still has to get the desmonds and 3rds.
Original post by Danlelle
Let me guess - you're a precious 2.1 BA student.

Nope, I got a 1st in a BSc.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 103
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Nope, I got a 1st in a BSc.

Hmm. Impressive! In what? I don't think you should snoot at people with 2.2s though, not everyone is perfect. It's not great but it doesn't suck nuts. It's still an achievement, come on now :smile:
Hmm. Impressive! In what? I don't think you should snoot at people with 2.2s though, not everyone is perfect. It's not great but it doesn't suck nuts. It's still an achievement, come on now :smile:

Ye it does. You seem to be trying to convince yourself or something.

2:2 is as good as a fail. Same as a 3rd, same as an actual fail.
Basically big firms set up schemes where they accept anyone with a degree, in any discipline (usually), as long as it's a 2:1. Which some people think is ludicrous as some degrees are harder than others so shouldn't be compared.

e.g John Lewis, Pfizer, Zurich. Just type into google and you will find tonnes.

It's not important to get into these graduate schemes, it's just that many graduates have no other option. Most graduate roles now require higher qualifications or professional experience which most grads don't have. There's also the weak job market/increasing number of graduates problem.

Is there like a standardised method of applying like UCAS? e.g. is there a list of all the graduate schemes you can apply to, or do you have to search for it yourself?

If you don't get onto a grad scheme, what's so bad about it? Why can't you just apply via a different route? I don't understand why it's so bad.
Reply 106
Original post by History-Student
Ye it does. You seem to be trying to convince yourself or something.

2:2 is as good as a fail. Same as a 3rd, same as an actual fail.

Well, I got a 2.1, so I'm not trying to convince myself. Just providing advice/support :smile: So you're basically saying you failed? I think we can agree to disagree.
Reply 107
Original post by IceWater
Is there like a standardised method of applying like UCAS? e.g. is there a list of all the graduate schemes you can apply to, or do you have to search for it yourself?

If you don't get onto a grad scheme, what's so bad about it? Why can't you just apply via a different route? I don't understand why it's so bad.

You have to search for it yourself. Some unis provide help/guidance in their careers departments.

If you don't get onto a grad scheme, depending on your degree, there aren't many other options if you don't have good work experience. Grad scheme, teaching or further education are the main three options, otherwise work in a non grad job with a non graduate salary. Anyone else is just very lucky or worked hard to find work experience to aid their CVs.
You have to search for it yourself. Some unis provide help/guidance in their careers departments.

If you don't get onto a grad scheme, depending on your degree, there aren't many other options if you don't have good work experience. Grad scheme, teaching or further education are the main three options, otherwise work in a non grad job with a non graduate salary. Anyone else is just very lucky or worked hard to find work experience to aid their CVs.

Oh okay. So graduate schemes are pretty much necessary to boost your career? Also most jobs, even investment banking don't really need degree level stuff at all... so are degrees essentially just tickets into the working world?

What's the approx diffrence between graduate and nongradute salaries?
Reply 109
Original post by History-Student
Wrong. The guy who got a 2:2 because it was the best he could do is far worse than the guy who got a 2:2 because he's a lazy useless ****. At least the latter might shine later in life, whereas the former is just destined to be ****.

I do in fact regret doing a crap course at a crap uni & getting a crap grade. The report from Y10 saying I could easily go to a top 5 uni if I apply myself haunts me to this very day.

Regardless: You may know someone with a crap degree who is doing well, & I also know people who are doing ridiculously well with crap degrees or no degrees. This doesn't change the fact that most people with crappy degrees go on to be the manager of a newsagent for the rest of their days. And you filling the OP's head with lies about how it's not the end of the world is just cruel.

Haha, you really think employers want someone who is could do some really hard chemistry but can't be arsed to turn up to work or someone who isn't very good at chemistry but puts in 100% effort all the time?

You are lazy, and still think your better than other people...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 110
Original post by IceWater
Oh okay. So graduate schemes are pretty much necessary to boost your career? Also most jobs, even investment banking don't really need degree level stuff at all... so are degrees essentially just tickets into the working world?

What's the approx diffrence between graduate and nongradute salaries?

Correct, for a lot of grads it's the only route, they feel that they shouldn't have to work a non graduate job after spending 3 years studying and ranking up debt! Just depends on who you know, what your degree is in and where from.

Degrees are essentially tickets to be accepted socially, in my opinion! You can be successful without one, but you usually need a degree to get noticed. Grads won't use most the stuff they've learned during their degree for their job, it's just a way to prove you are good at something. For investment banking, employers may take an engineer over an economist based on mathematical ability, even though they wouldn't even need half the skill to do the job. It's all status and trying to stand out in a country where there are far more graduates to available jobs.

Not 100% sure on difference between salaries, guess it depends on the field. I think the average graduate salary is around 20k, whereas non graduate average is about 14k. Someone will probably correct me on that :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Correct, for a lot of grads it's the only route, they feel that they shouldn't have to work a non graduate job after spending 3 years studying and ranking up debt! Just depends on who you know, what your degree is in and where from.

Degrees are essentially tickets to be accepted socially, in my opinion! You can be successful without one, but you usually need a degree to get ahead. Grads won't use most the stuff they've learned during their degree for their job, it's just a way to prove you are good at something. For investment banking, employers may take an engineer over an economist based on mathematical ability, even though they wouldn't even need half the skill to do the job. It's all status and trying to stand out in a country where there are far more graduates to available jobs.

Not 100% sure on difference between salaries, guess it depends on the field. I think the average graduate salary is around 17-18k, whereas non graduate entry average is about 13-14k. Someone will probably correct me on that :tongue:

Thanks a lot.

I made a thread a few weeks ago about degrees usually being irrelevant to jobs. I just find it weird and astonishing that people can study something in depth for 3 years and then try their hardest to get into something irrelevant e.g. a first class hons History / Politics student applying to a big 4 audit firm, or a Philosophy graduate from Cambridge going into a management consultancy role. Not only that, but employers don't care either, just as long as they did well in a subject, despite the fact that the job is irrelevant to their degree.

The whole system just seems so.... inefficient.
Reply 112
I can understand why some people think 2:2 is not a good mark. Most graduate schemes ask for a 2:1 if not all. This module I am resitting is over 100 hours worth of lectures for a 3 hour exam. Also it is a lot of different chemistry material area combined, all which is unrelated. No one passed this module gloriously. We are only human, I have to deal with what happens and expect critises.
Tangential comment: I do an English degree (BA student lol) and my girlfriend is doing an MChem

I do work hard (30+ hours work of research and reading a week) but undoubtedly she works harder in terms of there is more stuff to learn, whereas English you can pick and choose a lot more. However, we would both utterly fail at each other's degrees.

TL;DR: people stop saying that a '2:2 in chemistry is equal to a 1st in media studies' because unless you actually have done both degrees or have a lot of knowledge of what's in both you just come across as eejits.
Reply 114
I respect those who are doing different degree since they have their reasons. I don't think like a 2:2 is like a 1st in media, because I don't understand what they learn in media/english/law etc. I chosen this degree because I can't learn it anywhere else other being taught by lecturer etc.
Reply 115
Could you ask your university if you can have the 4th year taken off your record and graduate with a BSc instead? Not sure if that's allowed?
Reply 116
Also, would you be allowed to just write BSc 2.1 on your CV considering you had a 2.1 in your 3rd year? Not sure how the 4 year course things work.
Reply 117
Could you ask your university if you can have the 4th year taken off your record and graduate with a BSc instead? Not sure if that's allowed?

Not sure, forgot to ask them. I will ask them Monday. Technically I did more modules and a dissertation in industrial which is the only difference from a BSc and it's on my record that I am a MChem and not sure if it is reversible.
Reply 118
Also, would you be allowed to just write BSc 2.1 on your CV considering you had a 2.1 in your 3rd year? Not sure how the 4 year course things work.

I would think that would not be possible because my certificate will not say I am BSc level.

If your 2.2 is in engineering, core science, maths, etc, the world is still very much your oyster :smile:

What a load of rubbish. Autofilters don't give a **** about discipline.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending