The Student Room Group

Long term unemployed - Can I still be accepted at Uni 2012????

Hi, i'm new to the site, posting for the first time.

My situation has not been a good one, i'm 25, been unemployed for almost a year , having worked in direct sales for a four and half years. The company dissolved since then have found it hard to keep motivated, interview after interview with no success or qualifications. I have come to a point in my life,where I actually know what I want to do and really interested studying in. I left school after my GCSE'S (9B'S. 1D) and didn't have a clue to what i wanted to do and has taken me almost 8 years to figure out what i'm going to be really happy doing.

I am about to enroll on an Access to HE Science course in Sept for a physiotherapy degree in 2012. If anyone can shed some light on whether I would be accepted to a university, even if I make the grades and have work experience for the role , due to the fact i've been unemployed along time?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by BBary

My situation has not been a good one, i'm 25, been unemployed for almost a year , having worked in direct sales for a four and half years. The company dissolved since then have found it hard to keep motivated, interview after interview with no success or qualifications. I have come to a point in my life,where I actually know what I want to do and really interested studying in. I left school after my GCSE'S (9B'S. 1D) and didn't have a clue to what i wanted to do and has taken me almost 8 years to figure out what i'm going to be really happy doing.

I am about to enroll on an Access to HE Science course in Sept for a physiotherapy degree in 2012. If anyone can shed some light on whether I would be accepted to a university, even if I make the grades and have work experience for the role , due to the fact i've been unemployed along time?

Being unemployed won't make any difference at all to your application to go to university - why would it? I mean, traditionally people entering university would be 18 and have never worked before. If you've got the entering qualifications and you have work experience you should get an offer and away you go.
Reply 2
Original post by BBary

Having been unemployed wont make a difference, but be aware physiotherapy is very popular, you might not get a place just because of the volume of applicants, but if you get good grades and interview well you have a fighting chance
Reply 3
You'll need a reference for uni entry, so you'll be able to get that from your access course - you only want one in total. As long as you don't lie and try to claim that you were in employment/volunteering/on holiday abroad when you weren't then it will be fine.
Reply 4
You have good GCSE's right there and the economic conditions in the last couple of years really aren't your fault.

I did an Access course this year and I started off at the age of 39 with 2 'O' levels after having lost my missus, my flat and my job and a vague dream to be an archaeologist and see the world.

Twelve months on I have a place at UCL (top Uni for world archaeology) and I'm writing a new chapter in September.

The best piece of advice I can give you is to prepare a Personal Statement that shows you have a dream, have a few results by your interview date in January that shows you believe and can deliver on them and ask your chosen Uni's to match your ambition and effort in your time with them.

You say you've been a salesperson so all you need to remember is how to sell the product you'll always know best :smile:
Reply 5
Sell your positives, don't dwell on the negatives. When you do your access course they will help you write your personal statement, and you say what experience you gained from working, customer interaction, all that stuff.

It would not be a problem getting onto a degree from being unemployed, although you might want to try to get some volunteering experience, alongside visiting a physio department. This would show you did not mope around while being unemployed and were willing to help others. As for the physio work experience, start looking now. I'm training to be a dietitian and, with all health professional courses, shadowing can be hard to come by. I started looking in the July before I started my access course and got some straight away, but it can take time to organise and find a place that will have you.
Reply 6
Thanks for all your replies, what a relief to know that it won't hold me back.

Roodie, just some specific advice regarding getting some work experience, what was the process you went through? I understand the majority of hospitals I have tried are pretty much booked up for work experience or I had to put my name down on a list. What's the best process you had used?
Is it best to physically ask the hospitals, or to send a letter, or phone up?. I feel if I just phone up, I have less chance of them bothering with me?

Also if anyone has any Uni interview experience as a mature student, what would be the best way to approach the interview, be completely honest about my past situation and explain any personal problems I had in the past regarding not continuing with full time education after GCSE'S and explain that it's taken me this long to reliase that I know what I want to do, backed up by my voluntary work and some little shadowing and the grades, or simply just focus on the future at the interview?
Reply 7
Original post by BBary

Also if anyone has any Uni interview experience as a mature student, what would be the best way to approach the interview, be completely honest about my past situation and explain any personal problems I had in the past regarding not continuing with full time education after GCSE'S and explain that it's taken me this long to reliase that I know what I want to do, backed up by my voluntary work and some little shadowing and the grades, or simply just focus on the future at the interview?

In my interviews, the only reference to my past was how my work experience will help me in my studies, i wasn't asked about why i didnt do further education when i was younger, i doubt you will be asked about it. Focus on your motivation and understanding of what the role is. What they're looking for is people who are motivated and truly understand the job.
Original post by BBary

You should always be honest, but you are at the whim of the interviewers questions. They will focus on where you are now and where you want to go, what your commitment is like etc. Your life history might be of passing interest, but things don't go right for people sometimes, your interviewers will know that. What they want to know is can the current 'you' get through the course, and that means they will focus on the current 'you'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending