The Student Room Group

Help over these A level choices,

well, I've just had my taster day today at college and not sure what I want to do when I'm older and trying to keep my options open.

Electronics
History
IT or Computing
english

But instead of english could I do a science instead and if I wanted to do medicine would that get me in?

Could you do 5 As level subjects?

And all my teachers have strongly persuaded me to do A level Maths because I'm doing IT and electronics but I absolutely Hate the subject, will I really need it or will my grade A in maths do,

Thanks.
I can't really answer any questions about medicine, but if that is what you want to go in for then it would probably be best to do a science. Maths is a highly respected A-Level but if you really think you'll hate it then don't do it because you just won't put the effort in. At A-Level you need a bit more passion for your subject than at GCSE, so doing ones you are interested in is vital.

Also, do computing instead of IT as most universities prefer it. It is harder though (for most people.) And you can do 5 AS subjects but it's probably best not to as it's an awful lot of work and it's worth spending more time to get all As in 4 than risk dragging some down to a B because you've been spending too much time on the 5th subject.
Reply 2
Well for medicine, iirc, you need chem and bio so you couldnt do just one science, no. To be perfectly fair I'd advise sticking to your strengths and passions now and also when you apply for university.
I don't know loads about medicine, but I know you definitely need Chemistry, and Biology, Maths and Physics are good too. If you really do want to do medicine you'll probably need to change all your subjects :confused:
Reply 4
I've narrowed down my future to these things lol
Doctor
Sound engineer
IT technician
Engineer
Politician
What A levels would I need for these?
I was thinking a SAE sound engineering course, are they any good because I find that interesting.
:smile:
Reply 5
Doctor = medicine you really should do Biology and Chemistry - though there might be a few medicals which will consider you with one, if your serious about this only doing one is a pretty bad idea. (Maths/Physics is essential for some but definitely not all schools)

Sound engineer Electronics IT/Computing would probably be most useful along perhaps with something like Physics - though me brother became a sound engineer without any A levels, so this may be fairly flexible depending on which route you plan to take.

IT Technician - No idea probably IT/Computing (Maths if you can stomach it really helps with the other sciences I wish I took the AS despite hating GCSE) /Physics then something of your choice.

Engineer - Electronics Maths Physics and History would seem like sensible choice but I suspect Maths and Physics would be the most important and everything else would be pretty flexible.

Politician - History, English, then two sciences or maths and a science would make you a well rounded candidate.

I think really you need to decide what you want to do and then rapidly study the requirements of your chosen career/s.

Quick Reply

Latest