The Student Room Group

Is adjustment a waste of time?

Ive currently got an offer from nottingham uni of AAB for Finance, accounting and management but think I am almost certain I will do better. Do you not think its worth trying to get into unis like Warwick, LSE etc through adjustment, or is it just a waste of time.

All feedback will be much appreciated :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

You've got nothing to lose by trying, but with that sort of uni there's a significant chance they won't be using Adjustment.
I reccently went to a careers advisors' conference at Leeds University. The spokesman from the admissions department said that last year about 15 people were placed at Leeds via adjustment, all of them for engineering courses. This was similar to other universities of similar standing. In total, only around 450 people were successful in Adjustment last year, in undersubscribed courses. Highly sought after universities don't keep places 'just in case' someone comes along on results day. They have plenty of suitable candidates already lined up.
Reply 3
Mmmmmm thanks, may as well just stick with Nottingham Uni. There an average uni so should be happy lol
Absolutely nothing wrong with Nottingham.
Reply 5
Nothing wrong with Nottingham :smile: but you've got nothing to lose by trying as you don't lose your firm place when you use adjustment.
Reply 6
How does more than one place offer you a place via adjustment? Are the offers verbal or do they all show up on track? Thanks.
Reply 7
Well it was for me last year when none of the unis i wanted to adjust to had any places left :frown:
Reply 8
I'm kinda in a similar boat, but haven't heard many successes about it.
Quick question about adjustment-does your firmed uni know if you've entered adjustment? And if another uni does make you an offer, can you reject it and stick to your original firmed uni? Sorry about these, didn't think they were worth making a new thread. Cheers.
Original post by fnm
Quick question about adjustment-does your firmed uni know if you've entered adjustment?

Don't think so; not 100% sure.

And if another uni does make you an offer, can you reject it and stick to your original firmed uni?

Yes.
Reply 10
I could have used adjustment last year but decided against it in the end - I had set my sights on my firm choice and didn't really fancy going anywhere else that might have accepted the grades I got in the end.
Reply 11
Original post by Shaneel
How does more than one place offer you a place via adjustment? Are the offers verbal or do they all show up on track? Thanks.

I think you can only add up to one choice at a time via adjustment on track. You can ring up as many Unis as you want though.
Reply 12
Original post by mr tim
I think you can only add up to one choice at a time via adjustment on track. You can ring up as many Unis as you want though.

Once you add that one university on adjustment, do you have stick to that university if you get an offer from them?

If yes, then would you recommend I call up the uni before I add them on UCAS?
Reply 13
Original post by Potally_Tissed
Don't think so; not 100% sure.

Yes.

Thanks for the help. So, that means if another uni offers me a place (through adjustment) it doesn't replace the firmed uni, just adds another option?
Reply 14
Original post by Shaneel
Once you add that one university on adjustment, do you have stick to that university if you get an offer from them?

If yes, then would you recommend I call up the uni before I add them on UCAS?

You can decline the offer, then you can add another choice.

Original post by fnm
Thanks for the help. So, that means if another uni offers me a place (through adjustment) it doesn't replace the firmed uni, just adds another option?

yep, until you accept that offer, your firm choice will remain as your firm, once you accept the offer, the new offer will be the Uni your going to.
Reply 15
Original post by mr tim
You can decline the offer, then you can add another choice.

yep, until you accept that offer, your firm choice will remain as your firm, once you accept the offer, the new offer will be the Uni your going to.

So should I call the university up before I add them officially on UCAS. Or do I do this afterwards?
Reply 16
Original post by Shaneel
So should I call the university up before I add them officially on UCAS. Or do I do this afterwards?

You should do this before - it could save you time as they'll tell you whether or not they'll accept you.
Reply 17
I want to adjust to Nottingham, but unfortunately course is already full :/
So I'd stick with Nottingham; great uni, city, campus, etc..
Reply 18
Original post by ABaruwal
I want to adjust to Nottingham, but unfortunately course is already full :/
So I'd stick with Nottingham; great uni, city, campus, etc..

Do you currently live there? or stuff you heard from other people?
Reply 19
Original post by Ade1992

Do you currently live there? or stuff you heard from other people?

I live in Lincoln, which is near Nottingham, I'd say its a good city.
Some people do say it's a bit rough but that is just some areas (which us students wont need to visit anyway). It has both good/bad areas just like all the big cities.

If you're living in campus for the first year then you'll probably know which areas to avoid while looking for accommodation.

If I was you, I wouldn't worry about the city. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending