The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Clearing/Adjustment for Ucl

I have recently just been rejected for UCL EEE due to my predicted grades(A* A B) one grade below the entry requirements.
I was wondering if on results day - (I managed to get better A-Level Grades, well above the entry requirements) - Call UCL and ask them kindly for if they have any spaces left for this course.
Reason - other students perhaps rejected UCL to accept their firm choice at Oxbridge or Imperial, others.
How likely is this to happen?
Do I have to reject all my other choices inorder to contact UCL about this and or go into clearing/adjustment?
Reply 1
It’s very unlikely to happen.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Very unlikely, however do you know anybody else who has heard back for eee from ucl?
People say it's unlikely for UCL to go into clearing. But just last year they did (perhaps due to the 2022 v 2023 shock in grade boundaries). I'm not sure what EEE is, but it's worth a shot. Why not? Just focus on getting great grades in the meantime!
Original post by hfufdub466
I have recently just been rejected for UCL EEE due to my predicted grades(A* A B) one grade below the entry requirements.
I was wondering if on results day - (I managed to get better A-Level Grades, well above the entry requirements) - Call UCL and ask them kindly for if they have any spaces left for this course.
Reason - other students perhaps rejected UCL to accept their firm choice at Oxbridge or Imperial, others.
Do I have to reject all my other choices inorder to contact UCL about this and or go into clearing/adjustment?
I’m predicted same as you and I applied for BEng Mech Eng, haven’t heard since, ur post making me scared now 🙁
Hi, i did the same exact thing for Economics last year. So i initially didnt get an offer from UCL and after I got A*s in all my subjects i called the UCL admissions team on the day that results came out and asked them for any open positions. They gave me an offer for Economics and Eastern European Studies, but I ended up going with my firm choice which was Economics at KCL. If you do get great grades in August i suggest that you try because you never know. You will not be asked to reject all your other offers until they send you an official offer by email and you choose to accept it. Be prepared to call them numerous times until they get back to you since on results day, lines are very busy and also start calling early on
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous #2
People say it's unlikely for UCL to go into clearing. But just last year they did (perhaps due to the 2022 v 2023 shock in grade boundaries). I'm not sure what EEE is, but it's worth a shot. Why not? Just focus on getting great grades in the meantime!
Electrical and Electronic Eng
Reply 7
You should certainly call and check whether there are any spaces on the day but don't be set on it, it's unlikely. Please don't reject your other offers before calling, only after they give u an offer reject others. I got an offer for the course so I hope I can see u in Sept :smile: Good Luck!
Reply 8
Original post by Chenno8
You should certainly call and check whether there are any spaces on the day but don't be set on it, it's unlikely. Please don't reject your other offers before calling, only after they give u an offer reject others. I got an offer for the course so I hope I can see u in Sept :smile: Good Luck!

heyy, omg, when did you get your offer and are you either contextual or international? i’m still waiting for ucl EEE :’)
Reply 9
Original post by xbqvz
heyy, omg, when did you get your offer and are you either contextual or international? i’m still waiting for ucl EEE :’)
hi, i got mine early jan, applied before oxbridge deadline and am contextual. good luck! :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Chenno8
hi, i got mine early jan, applied before oxbridge deadline and am contextual. good luck! :smile:

ooh, okay thank you!! i applied after oxbridge and am non-contextual!! hopefully i hear back soon 🤞🏼
Just noting that Adjustment isn’t a thing anymore, so your only option is Clearing.
Reply 12
Original post by Katerina23
Hi, i did the same exact thing for Economics last year. So i initially didnt get an offer from UCL and after I got A*s in all my subjects i called the UCL admissions team on the day that results came out and asked them for any open positions. They gave me an offer for Economics and Eastern European Studies, but I ended up going with my firm choice which was Economics at KCL. If you do get great grades in August i suggest that you try because you never know. You will not be asked to reject all your other offers until they send you an official offer by email and you choose to accept it. Be prepared to call them numerous times until they get back to you since on results day, lines are very busy and also start calling early on

Is there any way that I could dm you.
Reply 13
Original post by Admit-One
Just noting that Adjustment isn’t a thing anymore, so your only option is Clearing.

I'm a bit confused now - what if I call UCL and they happen to give me a place - isn't that basically "adjustment"?
I'm a bit confused now - what if I call UCL and they happen to give me a place - isn't that basically "adjustment"?

Adjustment let you ‘trade up’ if you exceeded the grades required for your Firm choice. It allowed you to apply elsewhere whilst holding on to your current place.

Most unis will not make you a verbal clearing offer whilst you are placed elsewhere. You can try, but it could be a waste of time getting through to them if you are not currently eligible and it’s the first question they ask.
Reply 15
Original post by Admit-One
Adjustment let you ‘trade up’ if you exceeded the grades required for your Firm choice. It allowed you to apply elsewhere whilst holding on to your current place.
Most unis will not make you a verbal clearing offer whilst you are placed elsewhere. You can try, but it could be a waste of time getting through to them if you are not currently eligible and it’s the first question they ask.

But it has worked before though as Katerina had posted earlier, she was able to get an offer from UCL by calling them on results day for Economics, which is a lot-more competitive than Engineering Courses, especially EEE.
She did also say that I need not to decline my firm and insurance when calling up UCL, as that would be risky - its better to know the result of the outcome of "asking for a place" beforehand.
But it has worked before though as Katerina had posted earlier, she was able to get an offer from UCL by calling them on results day for Economics, which is a lot-more competitive than Engineering Courses, especially EEE.
She did also say that I need not to decline my firm and insurance when calling up UCL, as that would be risky - its better to know the result of the outcome of "asking for a place" beforehand.

A great many wonky thing happens in clearing. There are temporary staff with little training trying to do things under pressure. Incorrect offers and skipped procedures aren’t unheard of. So I would not be banking on anecdotal examples because you might be better served by putting yourself in clearing straight away and then collecting offers before deciding what to do.

You absolutely can call any uni at any stage, even if you are placed elsewhere. I’m just advising you that it could be a waste of time as the process is not designed for you to shop around whilst holding a place.
Original post by Katerina23

You can't be offered a place whilst you hold a firm. They may have said that you could be offered a place if you went into clearing .
Reply 18
Original post by Anonymous
I’m predicted same as you and I applied for BEng Mech Eng, haven’t heard since, ur post making me scared now 🙁

did u hear back from them?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending