The Student Room Group

Racist teachers :(

This is in retrospect but I’m annoyed and need to vent.
I was at the same school from year 7 til 6th form-that’s a good 7 years. I have always been bright but I’m cheeky and easily distracted so haven’t ever been a geek. But when it came down to it I always worked my butt off for coursework and exams even if it was a day before and got good grades. I’m just generally friendly so would always have good rapport with the teachers.
BUT I feel saddened that there have been some inequalities.
I’m British Asian so even though my skin brown I speak English, my passport is red yet I feel like I was given unfair treatment. My school is 99% white btw.
1) I got 2A*s for English Lit and Lang yet wasn’t signed up for the AEA award yet everyone else with As was :frown:
2) Wasn’t given much extra help despite having applied for a competitive uni course (got in anyways-suck on that bitches) everyone else who did ,was.
3) End of year assembly deputy spoke few words about everyone-mine were so heartless and robotic.
4) Everyone was given funny certificates e.g. most likely to marry an old millionaire-nothing for me!
5) When a white person did well e.g. passed they would be given SO much praise. When I got my As and A*s I just got a cold smile.
6) They never mentioned my GCSEs or A levels or entry into uni in the papers even though I was always in top 3. My picture never got in the papers yet the white kids who did less well than me did.
I don’t understand I was nothing but nice and there were a couple of teachers who loved me so how could the majority be so racist? ?
I don’t want to like take this further e.g. media or governors but I am saddened.
Any of you guys who become teachers please be fair. Reward hard work fairly regardless of anything else.

Scroll to see replies

You have provided absolutely no evidence to suggest that they are 'racist'.

EDIT: Those who neg repped, please point to the solid proof of racism because I am genuinely intrigued. The poster may well have deserved more praise from her teachers, but that is not an indicator of racial discrimination.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Yeeeaaah.... I don't think they where being racist.
Reply 3
lol. dont let it get to you. your achievements speak for themselves, you don't need to be in a paper to be seen as a success.
Reply 4
It's true I have no proof it was race related but I tried to hard in every other sense...I did well, I was friendly and polite, I was respectful, I gave xmas cards, brought chocolate for the class on Easter. My class mates loved me and a lot of us are in touch. I wish the teachers were the same :frown:
I used to get so demotivated because I never felt good enough. You know..a bit of praise goes a long way. I felt like everyone was better than me :'( And looking back I hate them all for ruining school for me and URGH. I wish I said something.
Reply 5
I think there's always at least one racist teacher in every school,but I doubt the majority of teachers were racist in your school. Maybe you should have been abit more active if you wanted to receive extra help or whatever.
You also said you were a bit cheeky and you were easily distracted so the teachers probably didn't reward you because you were not a good role model overall.
Original post by Anonymous
I was at the same school from year 7 til 6th form-that’s a good 7 years. I have always been bright but I’m cheeky and easily distracted so haven’t ever been a geek. But when it came down to it I always worked my butt off for coursework and exams even if it was a day before and got good grades. I’m just generally friendly so would always have good rapport with the teachers.

So you just admitted that you are not a hard-working individual, rather someone that takes advantage of the loopholes with regards to the school rules?

1) I got 2A*s for English Lit and Lang yet wasn’t signed up for the AEA award yet everyone else with As was :frown:

Bull****, AEA English was scrapped ages ago.

2) Wasn’t given much extra help despite having applied for a competitive uni course (got in anyways-suck on that bitches) everyone else who did ,was.

So? You got in anyways? Who gives a ****?

3) End of year assembly deputy spoke few words about everyone-mine were so heartless and robotic.

Don't take it personally.

4) Everyone was given funny certificates e.g. most likely to marry an old millionaire-nothing for me!

It's a piece of paper.

5) When a white person did well e.g. passed they would be given SO much praise. When I got my As and A*s I just got a cold smile.

Perhaps that student was failing, worked so hard and achieved their pass grades. Yet you were lazy, and through luck were able to achieve As and A*s.

6) They never mentioned my GCSEs or A levels or entry into uni in the papers even though I was always in top 3. My picture never got in the papers yet the white kids who did less well than me did.

Don't be so narcissistic.

I don’t understand I was nothing but nice and there were a couple of teachers who loved me so how could the majority be so racist? ?
I don’t want to like take this further e.g. media or governors but I am saddened.
Any of you guys who become teachers please be fair. Reward hard work fairly regardless of anything else.

Get over it.
Reply 7
My school is 99% white btw.
Given the proportion of the population of different races, i highly doubt it.

Is AEA for english even there anymore?

Did you ask, try to get some? Maybe they felt like you didnt need it but others did? You cant just sit back and expect everything on a plate.

Sorry, but this just means you didnt have a nice personality, wasn't popular, didnt bond with people well or simply aren't anything special in a particular area.

Seems like a ridiculous exaggeration here. Have you ruled out the fact it most likely is because they need the praise whereas you were always doing well so didn't need it?

Another obvious exaggeration.
Kids who have a lot of progression (going from D's To A's etc) will get more attention and praise than those consistently getting A's.

Your post is just full of such obvious exaggeration in order to try and build something that wasn't actually there.
Reply 8
Oh look its the whole race thing again...¬_¬ Stop being a whiny bitch, so you didn't get praise, you still did well and got in uni. I don't see the problem?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by JaiiStarh
I think there's always at least one racist teacher in every school,but I doubt the majority of teachers were racist in your school. Maybe you should have been abit more active if you wanted to receive extra help or whatever.
You also said you were a bit cheeky and you were easily distracted so the teachers probably didn't reward you because you were not a good role model overall.

Yes, you're right I should have stood up for myself but my parents said it's disrespectful to the teachers and they give more attention to those who need it. They said I should learn to be independent so I was-I borrowed books from library and read articles online so help me with interviews and stuff but looking back teachers should have helped. Other kids got mock interviews!
I wasn't cheeky in a rude way I would just randomly do silly things like wear a xmas hat near xmas and the nice teachers wouldn't tell me off they would laugh.
I don't know I guess I need to "man up" and stop complaining! I'm a girl so I guess I must be hormonal or something lol.
Reply 10
When i read your replies, i think 'troll'
Sounds like my school. I was the only asian in a catholic school. So many problems.
Reply 12
I’m British Asian so even though my skin brown I speak English, my passport is red yet I feel like I was given unfair treatment. My school is 99% white btw.

Perhaps you answered your own question about why you were treated this way? Cheekiness and being distracted aren't particularly endearing qualities in the classroom? Or perhaps what you describe as cheeky might have been seen by the some of the teachers as arrogance or being annoying.

Or maybe you're just reading into things so much. Half of the stuff you mentioned (not having your picture in papers etc) seem very minor, and in my experience, schools often like to push forwards the 'middling' students, or those who achieved more than anticipated through hard work, or the ones who outdid expectations because they're the ones who need the confidence and praise. It makes for better reading than 'quite clever kid gets quite good grades without really trying'.
(edited 12 years ago)
Yes, you're right I should have stood up for myself but my parents said it's disrespectful to the teachers and they give more attention to those who need it. They said I should learn to be independent so I was-I borrowed books from library and read articles online so help me with interviews and stuff but looking back teachers should have helped. Other kids got mock interviews!
I wasn't cheeky in a rude way I would just randomly do silly things like wear a xmas hat near xmas and the nice teachers wouldn't tell me off they would laugh.
I don't know I guess I need to "man up" and stop complaining! I'm a girl so I guess I must be hormonal or something lol.

I do find that abit odd though because I have been to three different Secondary schools and they always pay more attention to the ones who are more abled as well as the less abled one. Didn't your school have 'G&T' or anything? We were taken to lectures,Oxbridge and stuff like that,and the teachers would always go out of their way to help us reach out potential. However,I wouldn't put it down to racism. You seem to have done well for yourself without their help anyway,it does sound abit unfair but I guess it's made you a better person.:biggrin:
Reply 14
Original post by im so academic
So you just admitted that you are not a hard-working individual, rather someone that takes advantage of the loopholes with regards to the school rules?

Bull****, AEA English was scrapped ages ago.

So? You got in anyways? Who gives a ****?

Don't take it personally.

It's a piece of paper.

Perhaps that student was failing, worked so hard and achieved their pass grades. Yet you were lazy, and through luck were able to achieve As and A*s.

Don't be so narcissistic.

Get over it.

Hello biggest troll of TSR. Your reply is clearly one to "rep whore" so I'm not going to argue. I will say though-if you put less energy into your TSR posts and more into your work than maybe, just maybe, you might get somewhere in life. Carry on being TSR's biggest bitch and karma's gonna slap you in the face. Peace out.
Aw, your grades are really impressive :smile:
Bringing chocolates and cards for the teachers lol you sound a tiny bit nerdy :P Anyway, maybe the different treatment helped push you to do better? Or maybe you're remembering it to being a lot more distressful than it actually was? I duno, but tbh it doesn't matter, you earned really good grades and ultimately, that's why you went there :biggrin:
Reply 16
I may get negged for this, but it probably wasn't even racism what they intended, and if it was, get over it and get used to it.
Reply 17

This is DISGUSTING.

Disgusting that you are misusing the verb 'racist' to imply that those with pastoral supervision of you didn't treat with as much affection as others.

WE KNOW NOTHING of your personality, character, etc. For all we know, you could be a very timid, shy person, not particularly outspoken and very introverted. Perhaps people, teachers, etc, find you awkward - scared to offend you (seems likely).

Some people on this planet are enduring horrific incidences of racism.

Educate yourself, QUICKLY.
Hello biggest troll of TSR. Your reply is clearly one to "rep whore" so I'm not going to argue. I will say though-if you put less energy into your TSR posts and more into your work than maybe, just maybe, you might get somewhere in life. Carry on being TSR's biggest bitch and karma's gonna slap you in the face. Peace out.

So true, imso should stop spending her life on tsr, fantasising about going to oxbridge and actually do something with her life.

This sort of thing happens to white kids too. I don't know if they are being racist, but if they are, be proud that you are a better person than them. :smile: I know it's easier said than done. Both my parents are (white) teachers, and never to my knowledge treat anyone differently on the grounds of race. You say there are some teachers you get on with. The others aren't worth your time. :smile:

Oh, and congratulations on your uni course!
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending