The Student Room Group

Racist teachers :(

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
This is in retrospect but I’m annoyed and need to vent.
I was at the same school from year 7 til 6th form-that’s a good 7 years. I have always been bright but I’m cheeky and easily distracted so haven’t ever been a geek. But when it came down to it I always worked my butt off for coursework and exams even if it was a day before and got good grades. I’m just generally friendly so would always have good rapport with the teachers.
BUT I feel saddened that there have been some inequalities.
I’m British Asian so even though my skin brown I speak English, my passport is red yet I feel like I was given unfair treatment. My school is 99% white btw.
1) I got 2A*s for English Lit and Lang yet wasn’t signed up for the AEA award yet everyone else with As was :frown:
2) Wasn’t given much extra help despite having applied for a competitive uni course (got in anyways-suck on that bitches) everyone else who did ,was.
3) End of year assembly deputy spoke few words about everyone-mine were so heartless and robotic.
4) Everyone was given funny certificates e.g. most likely to marry an old millionaire-nothing for me!
5) When a white person did well e.g. passed they would be given SO much praise. When I got my As and A*s I just got a cold smile.
6) They never mentioned my GCSEs or A levels or entry into uni in the papers even though I was always in top 3. My picture never got in the papers yet the white kids who did less well than me did.
I don’t understand I was nothing but nice and there were a couple of teachers who loved me so how could the majority be so racist? ?
I don’t want to like take this further e.g. media or governors but I am saddened.
Any of you guys who become teachers please be fair. Reward hard work fairly regardless of anything else.

Well, it apears you had the last laugh enjoy that.
Reply 21
Oh get over it by this thread you sound like one to make a meal over small things.I would have felt sorry for you if you did not bring up the "It is cus i am indian and i aint white" card.
Jesus Christ, this is pathetic.
I was at the same school from year 7 til 6th form-that’s a good 7 years. I have always been bright but I’m cheeky and easily distracted so haven’t ever been a geek. But when it came down to it I always worked my butt off for coursework and exams even if it was a day before and got good grades. I’m just generally friendly so would always have good rapport with the teachers.
I’m British Asian so even though my skin brown I speak English, my passport is red yet I feel like I was given unfair treatment. My school is 99% white btw.
1) I got 2A*s for English Lit and Lang yet wasn’t signed up for the AEA award yet everyone else with As was :frown:
2) Wasn’t given much extra help despite having applied for a competitive uni course (got in anyways-suck on that bitches) everyone else who did ,was.
3) End of year assembly deputy spoke few words about everyone-mine were so heartless and robotic.
4) Everyone was given funny certificates e.g. most likely to marry an old millionaire-nothing for me!
5) When a white person did well e.g. passed they would be given SO much praise. When I got my As and A*s I just got a cold smile.
6) They never mentioned my GCSEs or A levels or entry into uni in the papers even though I was always in top 3. My picture never got in the papers yet the white kids who did less well than me did.
I don’t understand I was nothing but nice and there were a couple of teachers who loved me so how could the majority be so racist? ?
I don’t want to like take this further e.g. media or governors but I am saddened.
Any of you guys who become teachers please be fair. Reward hard work fairly regardless of anything else.

Next time, keep your legs opened. Your First will come in smoothly. :smile:

thought this might be appropriate
Original post by anonymous
this is in retrospect but i’m annoyed and need to vent.
I was at the same school from year 7 til 6th form-that’s a good 7 years. I have always been bright but i’m cheeky and easily distracted so haven’t ever been a geek. But when it came down to it i always worked my butt off for coursework and exams even if it was a day before and got good grades. I’m just generally friendly so would always have good rapport with the teachers.
But i feel saddened that there have been some inequalities.
I’m british asian so even though my skin brown i speak english, my passport is red yet i feel like i was given unfair treatment. My school is 99% white btw.
1) i got 2a*s for english lit and lang yet wasn’t signed up for the aea award yet everyone else with as was :frown:
2) wasn’t given much extra help despite having applied for a competitive uni course (got in anyways-suck on that bitches) everyone else who did ,was.
3) end of year assembly deputy spoke few words about everyone-mine were so heartless and robotic.
4) everyone was given funny certificates e.g. Most likely to marry an old millionaire-nothing for me!
5) when a white person did well e.g. Passed they would be given so much praise. When i got my as and a*s i just got a cold smile.
6) they never mentioned my gcses or a levels or entry into uni in the papers even though i was always in top 3. My picture never got in the papers yet the white kids who did less well than me did.
I don’t understand i was nothing but nice and there were a couple of teachers who loved me so how could the majority be so racist? ?
I don’t want to like take this further e.g. Media or governors but i am saddened.
any of you guys who become teachers please be fair. Reward hard work fairly regardless of anything else.

waaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh
me and my sister were the only black people in the whole school and village

thank god my teachers were nice but i did got some racist remarks from some students

the best thing is to ignore it and live your live
OP whatever happened, happened. Just move on with your life.
I doubt 'everyone' would have been getting this special attention, you're probably just paranoid. They did all that sort of thing at my school and it's just the boisterous, popular people who get all the awards etc so don;t let it get you down!
Reply 29
Original post by Tommyjw
Given the proportion of the population of different races, i highly doubt it.

Not necessarily. My sixth form is literally 99% white - two Asian girls in a year of approximately 200 (I'm not sure exactly how big it is, but it's around that size) and everyone else is white. Some areas of the country are honestly that non-diverse.

But OP - you can't know that that was racism and not to do with other character flaws. Teachers don't tend to get on with pupils who are 'cheeky' or leave everything to the last minute.
Reply 30
Original post by im so academic

It's a piece of paper.

you seem pretty nonchalant here, but when someone omits university into ''uni'' you turn into shehulk?

oh look its the"im an asian/black person and i never got a pat on the back or praised like a golden turd so it must be because someones a racist against me thread"..
Reply 32
Same thing happened to me. And I'm white.

It's likely because you lack personality to gel with teachers, or are expected to do well anyway, or are genuinly not liked by the teachers. Or a combination, I doubt it's your skin colour.
Reply 33
One of my music teachers told us that the Muslims were coming to bomb our town... on the day of the 7/7 attacks .... in front of 2 Muslim pupils.
The Muslim pupils had a right to claim Racism, you however do not.
Reply 34

I agree with those who have said, there is nothing to indicate that this is to do with race; I'm not saying that it couldn't have been. It is perfectly possible that that was the cause of the discrimination. But there are other possible causes as well. Unless there's something you haven't mentioned they never commented on your race so you can't know that it's that.

I know the kind of person you describe yourself as; I have a very close friend who was this type of person in school. Very smart but also a kind of 'class clown' character. The teachers mostly get on with you on a personal level. The thing is, try and put yourself in the place of a teacher. Though you never had bad intentions and weren't a bad student as such, your behaviour probably distracted other students a lot of the time. It could have been frustrating to the teachers that you didn't work hard throughout the year, possibly distracted others, messed around etc yet still came out with the top grades while other students who were 'model' and behaved very well and tried super hard didn't. The kind of student who would happily keep in touch/be friends with teachers after leaving but during school was always getting told off.

Now I'm making a few assumptions above, that's just one possible explanation. There are more. And of course, by no means does this justify the unfair treatment you received. Good on you that you got in to the uni anyway and glad that you haven't been caused big problems by what they did. I totally agree that what they did is not right. It's just the reason behind it that I'm not certain on.

xxx
Reply 35
You get differently along with different people, and teachers are just people. I got great along with most teachers at school, but some seemed to dislike me, without there being any reasonable explanation why. Same as some teachers are just doing their job, but I always hated them (obviously I've always been nice anyway, which is normal. If some of the teachers had been directly mean or yelled at you for no reason, that would have been an issue, but I cannot see that they have?). You also said you're "cheeky", possibly you can send some signals you are not aware of?

If you felt like a loner at school, I am deeply sorry. But you need to move on, and if you're studies are going well now, then it should all be okay. If you got bad results due to personal reasons, I'd understand you being upset, but I understand you did well? And I have to say like the others, there is not direct evidence of racism here, and it is serious to accuse someone of it, even though the word is tossed about these days.

Now I'm talking as a Scandinavian - in my home country people are so obsessed with non-Europeans being integrated properly in society and not being labeled racists that you are given great advantages. Every company needs someone of a different skin colour and every TV show should have a non-Norwegian guest. Which means that if you are e.g. Asian and have good results, you will be ahead of Norwegians in line. But I cannot say anything about this, I have been fortunate in life and sometimes you can doubt people's intentions, but that's life.
(edited 12 years ago)
... should be sacked immediately.
Reply 37
Original post by Tommyjw
Given the proportion of the population of different races, i highly doubt it.

I know someone has already commented on this, but yeah...

In my sixth form, there were two mixed race people, one black person and one Hispanic person. Out of the whole year.

In my school year at compulsory age there were three mixed race people and three black people.

I'm pretty sure that was everyone (looking through pictures to check as I didn't know EVERYONE in my year) and my compulsory school year had over 400 pupils. I'm really not exaggerating here. This is what you get living in a rural old fashioned town!
Original post by natt5253
one of my music teachers told us that the muslims were coming to bomb our town... On the day of the 7/7 attacks .... In front of 2 muslim pupils.
The muslim pupils had a right to claim racism, you however do not.

thats not racism.islam isnt a race its a religion you idiot.more pc nonsense.
Reply 39
Maybe they didn't put your picture in the paper cos you're ugly, more than your skin colour. It's the pretty girls they want to see over their morning toast, not the high-achievers, mate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending