The Student Room Group

What would you do?

Hey there, thanks in advance for taking some time to read this fairly long query of what i have to ask, it's very much appreciated and could possibly affect my whole life.

Having finished my A levels two years ago, achieving lackluster grades (DE), due to several things, mainly just a massive lack of effort. I've now currently got a offer at Staffordshire university studying Foundation law.

However it has only been until fairly recently where i've thought about my future prospects and that i've considered resitting my A levels or doing BTEC's, with the truest intentions of putting in the effort for the first time in my life, and getting AAA equivalent and aiming for a top university.

However having contacted my old sixth form tutor she suggested that i should strongly consider sitting the Foundation Law course at Staffordshire, to get good results with that and then to further pursue education, assuming to a solid masters degree at a top university.

Just so you know, based on the league tables Staffordshire is ranked in the 70s-80s in the league tables.

What would you do if you was in my position? And thanks again for reading, it is so very much appreciated.
In your position, I wouldn't want to be going back when I could go forwards. For most paths (exceptions are things like IB and barrister) A-levels are just a ticket into university, and the university ranking only matters to a few competitive jobs.
Reply 2
thanks for your reply. i get what you mean about moving forward instead of backwards, however taking into account that the standard degree at university is 3 years, whilst my Law with foundation year is 4, i would essentially lose one year and not the two people would usually delay in my position if they choose to re-sit their A levels/BTEC's.

Right now i'm slightly inclined to the idea of sitting a level 3 BTEC as i'm thinking that the one year i'm essentially 'losing' when it comes to supporting myself and bringing in income etc; is worth improving my university choice from say, a 80th league table university to, a top 20 university providing i get a AAA equivalent as planned.

My reasoning behind this is simply due to mass amounts of view's and stories about the competitiveness of law related jobs, stating examples such as a girl from a top university like Exeter with a first is having trouble finding a law firm.

For those who agree with TheSownRose's view, please don't feel that i've already made up my mind and am just neglecting what i disagree with, as always more opinions is always much appreciated :smile: .
Reply 3
Hi, no one will care about your A-level following your degree! Instead of going backwards, look at things you could do to improve your chances of 'getting on' in the future. For instance, if you get a 1st or 2.1 and loads of work experience and contacts you'll better of than with 3A's (A-level) ,no experience, no contacts & a 3rd or 2.1 from an average uni.
Reply 4
Don't look at the University position, look at the law school, that is where you will be studying, makes no difference what the other faculties/schools do.

Law has a middling reputation there and would be about the middle of the league tables, but as already mentions reputation is often meaningless it is you who will make the difference not where you studied.
Reply 5
I'd agree with these guys and just look forward pal, if Law is something that you want to do as a career, then that offer seems good! A-levels and BTEC don't mean much once you have your Degree and such, and working experience. It's exactly how Ralpharm said: "f you get a 1st or 2.1 and loads of work experience and contacts you'll better of than with 3A's (A-level) ,no experience, no contacts & a 3rd or 2.1 from an average uni." Which is completely right, once you have that First in the degree and the working experience from the Foundation Degree, it will be much better!

Hope this has helped, feel free to message me if you need help.

- Kiefer

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending