The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

St Andrews Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by FDR
Out of interest, why only one choice when you have five?

Especially international applicants often don't use all of their choices because they consider staying in their country or going to yet another country if they don't get into the uni they hopw for in Britain.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Im seriously worried about the amount of people applying for IR :frown::frown:
Original post by maxcartwright

Me too. I'm applying for IR and Psych from the US and there are a lot of americans who apply so I'm definitely worried about competition.
Original post by cricket123
Me too. I'm applying for IR and Psych from the US and there are a lot of americans who apply so I'm definitely worried about competition.

is it just from one place in the US? like one state or school? I knew it was popular but the amount of americans is just weird!!.
Reply 384
i'm applying for history of art :smile: is anyone else?
is it just from one place in the US? like one state or school? I knew it was popular but the amount of americans is just weird!!.

Well I checked and I'm actually the first from my high school to apply to St. Andrews but I think the undergrad american pop. there is around 1/7...

I know! It's crazy! Especially considering I had never heard of it until I say it in Fiskes's Guide...
Original post by FDR
If you have excellent grades you have a chance, but IR at St Andrews is considered one of the most competitive courses in the country, so you can't be sure.

Out of interest, why only one choice when you have five?

Well, I know it is like a lottery, but I have a hunch they'll let me in.
I thought about Edinburgh, Durham, Dundee and Aberdeen as well but I'm not sure if I'd have more chances applying to all of them instead of making clear in the PS how enthusiastic for St. Andrews I am. =)

yeah, me too. When I decided that I wanted to study IR 4 years ago, no one cared about this subject, but hell... it boomed so quickly! :K:
Reply 388
Any med applicants?? :smile:
Reply 389
Original post by jasqur
Any med applicants?? :smile:

Me!
Reply 390
Original post by oldbatty
Me!
when do you think they'll start inviting people for interviews?? St andrews is by far my top choice, i love everything about the uni and i find having to transfer to another city for the clinical years more of a positive than a negative
Reply 391
Original post by jasqur
when do you think they'll start inviting people for interviews?? St andrews is by far my top choice, i love everything about the uni and i find having to transfer to another city for the clinical years more of a positive than a negative

I agree! Have you chosen S M or E ? The first invites to interview went out mid November last year after ukcat scores released. It's my favourite too!
Applying for History V100

Oxford
LSE
UCL
Warwick
St Andrews

good luck!!
anyone else applying for History?
Reply 393
Original post by oldbatty
I agree! Have you chosen S M or E ? The first invites to interview went out mid November last year after ukcat scores released. It's my favourite too!

I chose "E" just to maximise my chances. My ukcat (640) really sucks, hope my academics make up for it :/
Reply 394
Original post by alexthomas93
How you've done so far? Do you mean with my application or grades?

Grades
Original post by Lukacsm
Grades

My grades are:
GCSEs: 8A*s 3As 1B
AS Levels: Maths (A) Physics (A) Further Maths (A) History (C) General Studies (A)
A Level Predictions: Physics (A*) Maths (A*) Further Maths (A*)
Hi! I'm applying for the Computer Science with Mathematics course at St Andrews and I'm getting worried, because I heard that there aren't many people with offers from there for the past few years. :s-smilie:

I'm from Bulgaria, I have the highest grade (6) in the compulsory Maths, Physics and Informatics classes and also the highest grades in the free-elective Maths classes. I participate in many national competitions in Maths and Informatics annually.

So... do I have realistic chance for an offer, as I don't have any further qualification except my Bulgarian qualification? :s-smilie:
Original post by DarkMatter_22
Hi! I'm applying for the Computer Science with Mathematics course at St Andrews and I'm getting worried, because I heard that there aren't many people with offers from there for the past few years. :s-smilie:

I'm from Bulgaria, I have the highest grade (6) in the compulsory Maths, Physics and Informatics classes and also the highest grades in the free-elective Maths classes. I participate in many national competitions in Maths and Informatics annually.

So... do I have realistic chance for an offer, as I don't have any further qualification except my Bulgarian qualification? :s-smilie:

If you want to know whether you have a chance the best people to ask are the admissions tutors - maybe send them an email? From what you've said it sounds like you have a very good shot, but no one here is likely to be very familiar with the ins and outs of the Bulgarian education system, so we can't really be sure.
Original post by DarkMatter_22

Hi,

For Bulgarian students we would be looking for an average of 5.5 in your diploma za sredno obrazovanie, with a 6 in two subjects related to your proposed degree. It sounds like you would meet the latter requirement so as long as you have an average of 5.5 you would meet our minimum entry requirements. In addition, you would need to meet the University's English language requirements as outlined at http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/elt/entry/ Note that just meeting the entry requirements does not mean that an offer will be made, as we receive many qualified applications for each available place.

I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say
there aren't many people with offers from there
If you mean that not many joint honours offers are made, this is because more applicants apply for single honours courses than joint honours courses. In general, it is more difficult to obtain entry to a joint honours course, as your application and personal statement have to be considered by admissions officers from two schools, and both have to agree to make an offer.

You can find more information on the application process from a Computer Science perspective on our website at http://www.cs.st-andrews.ac.uk/prospective-ug/applying

I hope that this helps.
Original post by derangedyoshi
If you want to know whether you have a chance the best people to ask are the admissions tutors - maybe send them an email? From what you've said it sounds like you have a very good shot, but no one here is likely to be very familiar with the ins and outs of the Bulgarian education system, so we can't really be sure.

Well they have the entry requirements for Bulgarian candidates on their website, but I was wondering if they have fixed places for people from the same country or for foreigners as whole... :confused: I don't think admissions tutors will tell me that :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending