The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

St Andrews Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Original post by Sir Stigginton

Hey, I also recieved a conditional offer to study economics and philosophy on the 16 November, so a similar course...I am also overseas

Original post by Sir Stigginton
Hello,

I'm an IB student from Thailand and received my conditional offer for Politics and Philosophy a couple of days ago.

Anybody here applied for the same course?
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 581
Just to clarify, international non-EU applicants can get offers before the deadline even if they apply through UCAS.
Reply 582
Original post by sinohellenic
im also an American who's gotten an unconditional offer from St. Andrews. It's because in America, we take APs and SATs continuously. In UK, many students take the majority of their exams their senior year, and won't get scores until after they'll have recieved offers.

Imagine if all APs and SATs were taken senior year, and we only told US schools our predicted scores, I suspect we would get conditional offers there as well

Well honestly, a lot of us (speaking for myself and a lot of my classmates) have taken APs and SATs, even though, we're NOT from the US (or UK as a matter of fact) and still have to wait until January-February-March to get a response. Don't get me wrong- I'm not saying that it's unfair that Americans in particular get positive responses; it's not fair because they get unconditionals (which are rarely given off to non-American students regardless of the time of the year) in October-November!

I think it's all because of the money, because Americans get to pay a whole load more and that's why like 20% of the student body in St. Andrews is American (at least that's what I hear from people currently studying there...)
It seems to me that Americans are treated differently, a bit like VIPs :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 583
Original post by lora_s
Don't get me wrong- I'm not saying that it's unfair that Americans in particular get positive responses; it's not fair because they get unconditionals (which are rarely given off to non-American students regardless of the time of the year) in October-November!

I think it's all because of the money, because Americans get to pay a whole load more and that's why like 20% of the student body in St. Andrews is American (at least that's what I hear from people currently studying there...)
It seems to me that Americans are treated differently, a bit like VIPs :biggrin:

I mean, all American schools give unconditionals, theres no such concept of a conditional offer so it may have something to do with that, but as I said before university is super expensive in the States. And as the VIP status go, I think that its unfair to say that Americans only get in because of money. It might say why they focus on recruiting in the states more, but I don't think it can be said that the American Students who are there are not good students (sort of tooting my own horn here, but Im trying to be objective and talk about the american students in general xD).
Also, what do you mean by "get to pay a load more"? Lol, much as I want to go here, Im not necessarily queuing up to hand them all my money, which unfortunately because of international costs and living costs (curse the weak dollar) is closer to the reality of things than I'd like it to be haha.
Reply 584
Original post by ALExM2442
I mean, all American schools give unconditionals, theres no such concept of a conditional offer so it may have something to do with that, but as I said before university is super expensive in the States. And as the VIP status go, I think that its unfair to say that Americans only get in because of money. It might say why they focus on recruiting in the states more, but I don't think it can be said that the American Students who are there are not good students (sort of tooting my own horn here, but Im trying to be objective and talk about the american students in general xD).
Also, what do you mean by "get to pay a load more"? Lol, much as I want to go here, Im not necessarily queuing up to hand them all my money, which unfortunately because of international costs and living costs (curse the weak dollar) is closer to the reality of things than I'd like it to be haha.

Of course that I'm not saying Americans are not good students! I see your point about US universities not giving conditional offers.
And by saying that you get to pay lots and lots of money, I mean compared to EU and UK applicants as we basically pay almost nothing. I do realize that Americans also pay a lot for university even if they stay in the States.
But still, I do believe that recruitment should not be region or country or whatever- based- it should treat all equal, but of course that's like a really utopian so to say way to deal with applications, which doesn't take into account finances and other factors.
Reply 585
I'm applying for Geography!

I have slightly strange grades... 4 As at higher - one taken a year early. Then an A at advanced higher in the same subject also taken a year early (at the same time as my other highers) and and A in the same subject at AS. What do you think?
got a letter confirming my visit day at the chemistry department, anyone else going on Feb the 18th? they're putting me up overnight aswell which is nice.
Reply 587
Thanks for the reply. :smile: So as an EU applicant I'll be waiting till January. I really hope they give me an offer. (Not that there is anything else I could do right now besides hoping. :biggrin:)
Reply 588
Original post by missbanana21

Same. I love all the quirky traditions they have. :smile:

The academic families :tongue:

The only slightly strange tradition was the wearing of the gown, and how it differed for each year group!
Reply 589
has anybody heard back from the economics department? (Although st andrews offers are normally very late, and they said they will probably contact me back in march)
I think Americans applying to all UK schools get either rejected or an unconditional offer (the main exception being IB students). I know a lot of people at Oxford and LSE who recieved either an unconditional or a rejection.

It's not so much about the money, I think, rather its about process.
Reply 591
in regards to visiting days, it says on the website they start at 9:15am, but do you have to be there at 9:15 on the dot or can you come and go as you please?
Has anyone from the UK heard back about physics? :/
Reply 593
Original post by heleneivy
in regards to visiting days, it says on the website they start at 9:15am, but do you have to be there at 9:15 on the dot or can you come and go as you please?

I help out at Visiting Days, so I can tell you a little about them. Basically there are different things happening during the day, which are all very useful for applicants, so if you can make it, definitely try to spend as much time in the town as you can. The schedule is relatively tight, so even if one or two things do not sound very interesting to you, that gives you time to have a look around, maybe visit a hall you are interested in, or just fetch a current student to ask questions. There will be a welcome talk, town guided tours, hall tours, information talks and subject talks, where you get to meet staff and students.
Also try to register because when we know you are coming, we'll be able to make it an even better experience for you :smile:

Hope that sheds some light on the Visiting Days, but please feel free to ask more :smile:
Original post by heleneivy

Nope. You can pick a registration time up to around 11:30/11:45 :smile:
Reply 595
Original post by Artemis 97
Has anyone from the UK heard back about physics? :/

You won't be hearing back about Physics until the start of February at the earliest. But from what I remember most people heard back about half way through February. So it's a loonnngggg wait. :biggrin:
I've applied for [Classical Civilisation and Film Studies. I haven't been to see the uni yet but I will be going as I am completely tied between St Andrews and Dundee! I went to visit Dundee and it was just absolutely amazing, the only thing that is putting me off with St Andrews is people have said its not as modern as other unis? Like I hear the library is in appalling condition. Also I just got an offer from Glasgow and I'd love to go there as well :frown: If only I could go to all the unis O.O
Reply 597
Original post by MissWinged
the only thing that is putting me off with St Andrews is people have said its not as modern as other unis? Like I hear the library is in appalling condition. Also I just got an offer from Glasgow and I'd love to go there as well :frown: If only I could go to all the unis O.O

As far as the library goes they just renovated it over the summer and will renovate it some more next summer. I've heard they are trying to modernize some of the buildings so I don't think this should be much of an issue. Idk, I'm visiting in February, so I'm looking forward to seeing he campus.
Reply 598
Original post by Sappho
I help out at Visiting Days, so I can tell you a little about them. Basically there are different things happening during the day, which are all very useful for applicants, so if you can make it, definitely try to spend as much time in the town as you can. The schedule is relatively tight, so even if one or two things do not sound very interesting to you, that gives you time to have a look around, maybe visit a hall you are interested in, or just fetch a current student to ask questions. There will be a welcome talk, town guided tours, hall tours, information talks and subject talks, where you get to meet staff and students.
Also try to register because when we know you are coming, we'll be able to make it an even better experience for you :smile:

Hope that sheds some light on the Visiting Days, but please feel free to ask more :smile:

Original post by Ecosse_14
Nope. You can pick a registration time up to around 11:30/11:45 :smile:

thank you! i hope to fly over for the day (from ireland) and i was worried i wouldn't make the 9:15! that's great then, i'm really looking forward to it!
Reply 599
Original post by MissWinged
I've applied for [Classical Civilisation and Film Studies
. I haven't been to see the uni yet but I will be going as I am completely tied between St Andrews and Dundee! I went to visit Dundee and it was just absolutely amazing, the only thing that is putting me off with St Andrews is people have said its not as modern as other unis? Like I hear the library is in appalling condition. Also I just got an offer from Glasgow and I'd love to go there as well :frown: If only I could go to all the unis O.O
If you have the chance, do come and visit! It was very important for my decision, once you see the plave you get a feeling for whether you want to be here or not.
The library seems to be problematic for the more non-traditional subjects like IR or something from time to time, but as a classicist, I haven't had any problems. Even when I miscalculated my time and tried to find books at a short notice, there was something to read available. And there is also the Classics library!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending