The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

St Andrews Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Original post by Madison.
I thought the same as you, but I'm from the Isle of Wight. I travelled to St Andrews for the open day, it's really not as far as it would seem. Considering the ferry etc, because we flew it only took 5 hours, coincidently the same amount of time (roughly) as it took me to get to Nottingham :smile:

how did it take you 5 hours when the flight from gatwick is just over an hour and the taxi from edinburgh to st andrews is about an hour? must have been a very slow ferry :smile:
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 781
yay where else have you applied? camberige?

No not cambridge, they dont do joint honour courses. I've applied to Durham , Bristol, Edinburgh, St Andrews and York. How about you?

I thought the same as you, but I'm from the Isle of Wight. I travelled to St Andrews for the open day, it's really not as far as it would seem. Considering the ferry etc, because we flew it only took 5 hours, coincidently the same amount of time (roughly) as it took me to get to Nottingham

Oh really - it would probably take 5 hours if I took the train I suppose so not as bad as it seems. Just longer than everywhere else I've applied! But not really the easiest to pop home for a weekend though haha! x
Reply 782
Original post by finola_94
No not cambridge, they dont do joint honour courses. I've applied to Durham , Bristol, Edinburgh, St Andrews and York. How about you?

Oh really - it would probably take 5 hours if I took the train I suppose so not as bad as it seems. Just longer than everywhere else I've applied! But not really the easiest to pop home for a weekend though haha! x

well last year i applied to durham, st andrews, bath and warwick, didnt bother with bristol or edinburgh coz they apparently had bad student satisfaction shizz?
durhams awesome though i woulda picked it over st andrews but i really wanted a 4 year course :smile:
Reply 783
That puts it in perspective I suppose. I guess I'll just have to figure out how much I want to be there :smile: x

I am moving from Portugal to the UK for uni, it'll be great to be away from home, don't you just feel like saying "Hasta la vista" to being with your parents, you know, experiencing some independence? Obviously I love my parents and stuff, but the further the better hahaha :colondollar::wink::biggrin:
Reply 784
Well I am nervous as hell :tongue: , hoping to get an offer from St.Andrews only a week to go before they start to reply to us Home/EU boys (and girls :rolleyes:) Anyone feel the same?
Original post by Feragon
I am moving from Portugal to the UK for uni, it'll be great to be away from home, don't you just feel like saying "Hasta la vista" to being with your parents, you know, experiencing some independence? Obviously I love my parents and stuff, but the further the better hahaha :colondollar::wink::biggrin:

Yes, I completely agree! Living at home is so stressful! I really don't know what I'll do if I don't get the grades I need.. and end-up spending another year at home.
Reply 786
well last year i applied to durham, st andrews, bath and warwick, didnt bother with bristol or edinburgh coz they apparently had bad student satisfaction shizz?
durhams awesome though i woulda picked it over st andrews but i really wanted a 4 year course

I do like the length and flexibility of the scottish courses - although an when the extra year is £9,000 it's not so tempting :P hehe. I really liked bristol and edinburgh as both cities and universitys and know people that went to both and they loved it. But durham is definitly my favourite at the moment !! fingers crossed. Only heard from bristol so far!
Reply 787
I am moving from Portugal to the UK for uni, it'll be great to be away from home, don't you just feel like saying "Hasta la vista" to being with your parents, you know, experiencing some independence? Obviously I love my parents and stuff, but the further the better hahaha

YES I can't wait for the independance !!! Whichever uni I go to that's what I'm most looking forward to :smile: x
Reply 788
YES I can't wait for the independance !!! Whichever uni I go to that's what I'm most looking forward to :smile: x

Same here but I think I'll be homesick at first anyway :biggrin:
Reply 789
Original post by paulbridger
Yes, I completely agree! Living at home is so stressful! I really don't know what I'll do if I don't get the grades I need.. and end-up spending another year at home.

Tell me about it, I have a predicted well over what they required, but I am yet to receive my offer seeing as I am an EU student. Even if my predicted is above the requirement, I still think i am going to have a tough time meeting the requirements (if I get a conditional).
Reply 790
Original post by adobe
how did it take you 5 hours when the flight from gatwick is just over an hour and the taxi from edinburgh to st andrews is about an hour? must have been a very slow ferry :smile:

Time to get to ferry from my house: 30mins
Ferry: 30ish mins
Flight from Southamptonto Edinburgh (not Gatwick) 1.5hrs (I think)
Then it was waiting around for airport transfers, we caught a bus to the train station and then went to Leuchars and a bus from there. So yeah, due to having to be at the airport an hour before the flight it took 5hours. Travelling time, not sure how long the actual journey would take :smile:

Also, it takes like 2rs to get to Gatwick from the ferry if you went that way
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 791
Just wondering if any current students would advise for non-catered or catered accommodation in first year? Right now I'm leaning towards catered, just because it would mean one less thing to worry about on top of coursework.

Also, if anyone has good suggestions for accommodation near the medical school? I've stayed with my friend in uni hall and it seemed great, just wondering if there are others that I should look at aswell? cheers!
Do you think that they make all the decisions before the 15th and then release them, or they only start looking at the application after the deadline?
I hope it is before the 15th because i really want an offer! what have you applied for?
Original post by francesca1
I hope it is before the 15th because i really want an offer! what have you applied for?

I don't think they give anything out for home/eu applicants until after the 15th:frown:
I applied for international relations, one of the most oversuscribed courses :frown::frown:
Reply 795
Original post by maxcartwright
Do you think that they make all the decisions before the 15th and then release them, or they only start looking at the application after the deadline?

To me it's make sense if they looked at them during the inter-semester break because they don't teach then. That's from 23rd January to 5th February. I know it sounds annoying but when you think about it it makes much sense. The process guarantees that people who actually know about the subject will consider your application in depth. I know it happens at other unis that random admissions people who have no clue about the subjects make decisions. Quite sad. I guess you'd rather wait a little bit longer, wouldn't you?
Original post by Feragon
Well I am nervous as hell :tongue: , hoping to get an offer from St.Andrews only a week to go before they start to reply to us Home/EU boys (and girls :rolleyes:) Anyone feel the same?

im feeling you man, excited!
Original post by KCosmo
Just wondering if any current students would advise for non-catered or catered accommodation in first year? Right now I'm leaning towards catered, just because it would mean one less thing to worry about on top of coursework.

Also, if anyone has good suggestions for accommodation near the medical school? I've stayed with my friend in uni hall and it seemed great, just wondering if there are others that I should look at aswell? cheers!

I'm a first year in catered accommodation and I find it really convenient, and it was really easy to meet lots of new people in the first week at meal times. But the advantages of self-catered (stating the obvious I know) are that you can eat when and what you want. It's really up to you to decide what you think would work best for you. New Hall (self-catered) and Andrew Melville Hall (catered) are both near the medical school.
I can't believe it's just over a week until we start getting decisions! Mixed emotions! Mostly excitement though along with the inevitable nerves.

I've applied for French and Spanish (WIYA) :biggrin:
Reply 799
Original post by hayheyley
I'm a first year in catered accommodation and I find it really convenient, and it was really easy to meet lots of new people in the first week at meal times. But the advantages of self-catered (stating the obvious I know) are that you can eat when and what you want. It's really up to you to decide what you think would work best for you. New Hall (self-catered) and Andrew Melville Hall (catered) are both near the medical school.

Which hall are you in?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending