The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

St Andrews Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Offer from York, Exeter and Sheffield. Rejection from
Durham despite getting predicted A*A*AA after getting AAAA at as plus an A grade epq. My personal statement was seen as very good by my teachers, I just don't know where I went wrong. Don't feel I have a chance at getting st Andrews...Am I wrong?
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 1381
Original post by Barrack Obama
Durham despite getting predicted A*A*AA after getting AAAA at as plus an A grade epq. My personal statement was seen as very good by my teachers, I just don't know where I went wrong. Don't feel I have a chance at getting st Andrews...Am I wrong?

Don't throw the towel in yet. From what I've seen/heard Durham has a tendancy to reject a lot of people for strange reasons. I've got friends who were rejected and none of us knew why.

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 1382
I've had an offer accepted for Msc in International Strategy and Economics. Anyone else from the school of Finance and Economics over here ?
Reply 1383
I got my reply for Physics BSc earlier this week, offer of AAA, looking forward to the open day :smile:
Reply 1384
Original post by user2012
I got my reply for Physics BSc earlier this week, offer of AAA, looking forward to the open day :smile:

Is this the open day in 2 weeks time? I went to the subject open day last year and it was brilliant. :smile:
Anyone who got places for Physics, just to let you know there were 20 applicants for every place!! :biggrin: You must be feeling even better now, heh?

I'm not surprised I got rejected and no longer annoyed, just can't believe that my teachers didn't warn me :tongue:
What's the ratio of english to scottish students at st andrews?
Original post by Foghorn Leghorn
What's the ratio of english to scottish students at st andrews?

Just away to ask the same thing!
Reply 1388
Original post by Helsy
Is this the open day in 2 weeks time? I went to the subject open day last year and it was brilliant. :smile:

Yea it's on sat 25th feb, are u already at st Andrews?
Original post by Domiant
still waiting...

applied for geoscience but same.. gaahh this is killing me... literally been checking my emails twice a day hahah!
Original post by ImSoIndieItHurts
applied for geoscience but same.. gaahh this is killing me... literally been checking my emails twice a day hahah!

Same here! I applied for Geology, just wanting them to put me out of my misery...
Original post by Evan7788
Same here! I applied for Geology, just wanting them to put me out of my misery...

Yeh haha! Nice! what were your grades/ predicted grades? :smile:
Reply 1392
Does anyone know the ratio between Astrophysics Applicants and Astrophysics Places?
Reply 1393
Original post by Barrack Obama

Exactly the same worries here, I got predicted three A* and an A and got all As at AS and got rejected from Durham...im just trying to not get my hopes up at all, I did for Durham and got extremely disappointed!who knows though, ive heard people got offers from Cambridge and rejected by Exeter so all we can do is wait I suppose!
Reply 1394
Original post by filumb
Does anyone know the ratio between Astrophysics Applicants and Astrophysics Places?

I emailed the student recruitment people and they said on average there are 11 applicants for every one place.
I just wish they'd hurry up and reject me so that I can firm KCL (this was a longshot) :stomp:.
Original post by ImSoIndieItHurts
Yeh haha! Nice! what were your grades/ predicted grades? :smile:

Higher AAABB but predicted an A in Higher geology this year which can get you into second year. What about you?
Original post by Helsy
Don't throw the towel in yet. From what I've seen/heard Durham has a tendancy to reject a lot of people for strange reasons. I've got friends who were rejected and none of us knew why.

Good luck! :smile:

Cheers! Fingers crossed :s
Original post by _Say_Goodbye_
Anyone who got places for Physics, just to let you know there were 20 applicants for every place!! :biggrin: You must be feeling even better now, heh?

I'm not surprised I got rejected and no longer annoyed, just can't believe that my teachers didn't warn me :tongue:

The stats keep varying, but I've heard it was very high this year. I know a couple of people who got rejected a couple of weeks back, and my friend got an unconditional yesterday.

Still waiting. :frown: I hope they like my PS, and my grades are pretty decent, just really want an offer! :biggrin: I was warned about applying to Scotland, but I wasn't going to listen as it's where I want to go! ^^
Original post by _Say_Goodbye_

Don't blame your teachers for not knowing, people. The applications for St Andrews are up hugely this year due to the massive popularity of the Royal Wedding last year. Huge numbers of international students, many of whom may had never heard of St Andrews before, will be applying this year because William and Kate went there. It is a pretty feeble reason for applying to somewhere, but there we go.

PS. I was surprised to recieve an offer of AAA for theoretical physics, with A*A*A*A A-level predictions, considering what I know about competition this year. Anyone else get in for that course?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending