The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

St Andrews Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1580
Original post by Oromis263

I am one of the unlucky few with A* projections, and still didn't get in. Awaiting feedback to see where I went wrong. Although, word has it that physics has been heavily subscribed to this year.

Ah well, looks like that was my last hope of going to university this year, looks like a gap year for me!

I know of a few people that have applied for Physics... And some of them have incredible grades yet are still being rejected. I'm sorry to hear about your rejection though :/
You can always take a gap year and 'broaden your mind'. Get some experience and apply to university again next year. Every cloud and all that :smile:
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
My Track changed earlier...I really wanted it to be St Andrews...it wasn't. :frown: *weep*

Any French/Spanish/German offers?
Reply 1582
Original post by Oromis263
Physics applicant, just got my rejection, via update of track, no email or any explanation. Emailed for some feedback, anyone else been in this situation and knows anything?

I am one of the unlucky few with A* projections, and still didn't get in. Awaiting feedback to see where I went wrong. Although, word has it that physics has been heavily subscribed to this year.

Ah well, looks like that was my last hope of going to university this year, looks like a gap year for me!

Argh! So sorry to hear that!! But yes, this year seems to have been particularly popular for physics, with so tons of people being turned away. But one advantage with a gap year is that when you apply again in general, you have your grades.

And if you've emailed for feedback, they will reply. It sometimes takes a long time to do, but they will respond.

[And seriously, I don't get the system sometimes... I really wonder why I'm here occasionally!]
Ok I have a question about accommodation. Do we get any cleaning services, I believe in Oxford people get rooms cleaned once a week. Is this the case in St. Andrews, or are we responsible for cleaning our rooms?????
Reply 1584
Original post by rforastiero
Ok I have a question about accommodation. Do we get any cleaning services, I believe in Oxford people get rooms cleaned once a week. Is this the case in St. Andrews, or are we responsible for cleaning our rooms?????

It really depends on where you live. I think (but the others can correct me) that all the catered halls have cleaning once a week. And I know New Hall has cleaning once a month, but I think the other self catered halls don't have cleaning, but that each flat/house etc is provided with equipment so that you can clean e.g. hoover, mop, bucket etc.
Original post by Chibelta
I will be doing in the next couple of days...so excited!!

I've been thinking about going up and visiting again, but they only seem to have "prospective students" open days, not ones for offer-holders :frown:

Can I ask, what did you see when you went there last week? Did they let you in anywhere/could you ask staff questions etc? Was it "worth it"? :redface:
Or did you just have a look around the town again?

To be honest because I had accepted I just really wanted to go back and like let it properly sink in that this is where I will be spending the next 4 years... so in that respect yes. However logistically no I didn't get access to any halls or anything like that so it was basically just looking around the town and wandering through.

So yeh... it all depends on you really!! (on reading this back I understand I will not in any way have helped aid you in your decision making process... my apologies)

X
Reply 1586
Original post by maitai
Have many people heard back from them about Art History? I tried scrolling back a few pages and only saw one mention it. Getting quite nervous now!

I got my offer on the 1st of feb however it was an unconditional and I haven't heard of anyone get a conditional offer yet so I reckon it should be soon!!
Reply 1587
Original post by beaxox
I got my offer on the 1st of feb however it was an unconditional and I haven't heard of anyone get a conditional offer yet so I reckon it should be soon!!

Oh, congrats! Will it be your top choice or do you have some other university in mind?
And I hope it'll be soon, the wait is driving me up the wall. I keep refreshing UCAS, my email and this page just in case someone has news :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1588
Original post by maitai
Oh, congrats! Will it be your top choice or do you have some other university in mind?
And I hope it'll be soon, the wait is driving me up the wall. I keep refreshing UCAS, my email and this page just in case someone has news :biggrin:

It's my first choice! I confirmed it straight away, how about you?!
Reply 1589
Original post by filumb
Bad luck. Right attitude though =). Best wishes with LSE

Original post by rforastiero
I also got LSE rejected and St. A made me an unconditional for the same degree. LSE said it was my personal statement when I asked for feedback. I'm sorry I could not get my interest in economics across sufficiently, but maybe if tutors weren't lazy and red more than 4000 characters per applicant, then personal statements would actually mean something

Original post by perlsh
oh, just the opposite happened to me! :P I guess, LSE didn't like my Personal Statement, but St A did.

Sometimes I'm really curious on how they select people and on what they put an emphasize.

I thought it would be the other way around for me as well. LSE put so much emphasis on grades yet I'm actually a really weak candidate academically compared to most applicants so something must've been right in my personal statement yet the feedback from st andrews made it seem as though my personal statement wasn't good enough. So I'm mega confused over why I got rejected from St As and an offer for LSE... makes no sense!
Reply 1590
Original post by beaxox
It's my first choice! I confirmed it straight away, how about you?!

I go back and forth. I applied to three universities that were I given an offer would become my top choice. If I get an offer from St. Andrews it most likely will be my top choice (:
I've received 4/5 offers - Guess who's keeping me waiting! Has anyone else applied for Russian?
Original post by Catherine.
My Track changed earlier...I really wanted it to be St Andrews...it wasn't. :frown: *weep*

Any French/Spanish/German offers?

I've got a Spanish and Maths offer, but I might have to get them to re-evaluate it cause I want my fee status to be Irish, not British (to try to get my fees paid).. Nervous - apparently they can take away your offer if you do that! Where abouts in NI are you from?
Original post by shortbrendan
I've got a Spanish and Maths offer, but I might have to get them to re-evaluate it cause I want my fee status to be Irish, not British (to try to get my fees paid).. Nervous - apparently they can take away your offer if you do that! Where abouts in NI are you from?

Aah, funny my friends and I were just talking about the fee status earlier. I'm scared! I want an offer now :frown: Haha. I'm from County Londonderry! :biggrin:
Do St Andrews give offers over the weekend?
No idea but apparently someone got an offer for Econ&Philosophy last Saturday :rolleyes:
Original post by paulbridger

Mine updated on a saturday.
Reply 1597

I think it really depends on a mix of the department and UCAS. As I know that UCAS can update literally any time, so if staff are working on the applications on the weekends, I don't see why not.

Hope I haven't just made your weekend all nerve-racking now. :tongue:
Original post by Helsy
I think it really depends on a mix of the department and UCAS. As I know that UCAS can update literally any time, so if staff are working on the applications on the weekends, I don't see why not.

No, it's fine :biggrin: I'm just fed up of waiting..
My LIFE Is nerve-racking :cool:

Original post by Helsy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending