The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher French 2011-12

Scroll to see replies

I reckon the listening will be on drug use in the Olympics, because if they're going down that route, then that's just the most logical part of the exam to put it in. This is what I reckon will happen:

News item which will mention some sportsperson who took drugs, and some statistics about it, then I bet in the discussion they will talk more generally about the effects of drugs, possibly branching out into general health issues, like alcohol and smoking.

Haven't thought about the essays, but there's five options, so realistically I don't think they're going to be much different from anything we've seen before before. It'll just be some random selection of topics.

The reading will be on something totally random, seeing as they hardly ever seem to link the reading to any actual topic at AH (well, and Higher, if last year's paper was anything to go by :rolleyes:). If I were to put money on anything, I'd say the presedential election and that would link into the topic of Europe.
I've given up all hope for the listening now - I've just got 17/30 in the 2009 paper, and I've been getting scores around that or lower all year (apart from in the prelim, but a. that was on young peoples' attitudes towards classical music so was a breeze for me, b. we knew it was going to be on that and c. we were given vocab which would be in it). There's no way I can improve in two days.

I remember the week before our Standard Grade exam, our teacher said (about the listening paper), "well, really, if you're passing at this stage, that's good enough!". That is my thought process at the moment...

OH HALP. :frown:
Original post by christielovesyou
I reckon the listening will be on drug use in the Olympics, because if they're going down that route, then that's just the most logical part of the exam to put it in. This is what I reckon will happen:

News item which will mention some sportsperson who took drugs, and some statistics about it, then I bet in the discussion they will talk more generally about the effects of drugs, possibly branching out into general health issues, like alcohol and smoking.

Haven't thought about the essays, but there's five options, so realistically I don't think they're going to be much different from anything we've seen before before. It'll just be some random selection of topics.

The reading will be on something totally random, seeing as they hardly ever seem to link the reading to any actual topic at AH (well, and Higher, if last year's paper was anything to go by :rolleyes:). If I were to put money on anything, I'd say the presedential election and that would link into the topic of Europe.

Don't think they can do the presidential elections - the papers were written a long time before the results came out. Could maybe be something on the future of the Euro?

I've given up all hope for the listening now - I've just got 17/30 in the 2009 paper, and I've been getting scores around that or lower all year (apart from in the prelim, but a. that was on young peoples' attitudes towards classical music so was a breeze for me, b. we knew it was going to be on that and c. we were given vocab which would be in it). There's no way I can improve in two days.

I remember the week before our Standard Grade exam, our teacher said (about the listening paper), "well, really, if you're passing at this stage, that's good enough!". That is my thought process at the moment...

OH HALP. :frown:

Remember, listening's only 15% of the mark. You could get 0/30 and still get an A band 1 overall! :smile:
Original post by anyone_can_fly
Don't think they can do the presidential elections - the papers were written a long time before the results came out. Could maybe be something on the future of the Euro?

Remember, listening's only 15% of the mark. You could get 0/30 and still get an A band 1 overall! :smile:

I didn't mean the results - I meant the general lead-up to it, since it was planned years in advance. I think it would be based on attitudes of the French people towards the election and possible changes it might bring. But it could be the Euro, seeing as the Eurozone crisis was a big thing.

Really?! I had no idea it was that small a percentage! Thanks for giving me hope. :colondollar: Although I think the maximum I've scraped for the speaking is 30/50 because the examiner was stupid and silly, and as a result, we're having the whole situation looked into and monitored by the SQA, so that doesn't fill me with positivity about getting an A either...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 164
ahhhh this thread is making me panic! somewhat strugling to revise, especially in this weather :frown: For the essays, I'd like to see mixed marraiges, or literally anything to do with immigration/racism, I think both could come up as they don't seem to have for a while! I think the presidential election could come up, something about young people's interest in politics maybe? it's too difficult to predict really!

I'm off to listen to les marseillaise and try and get in the zone, good luck everyone!

Ps, someone said the folio/speaking is worth 35%, is it not 40%? (15% for the folio and 25% for the speaking)
Reply 165
BONNE CHANCE TOUT LE MONDE!!! I have managed to get literally nothing done, but am soo excited for the exam to be finished :| hahaha.
I've just had an "ooooooh!" moment. You know how I said it could be on Olympics/health? I have a feeling it might be on drug use in sport...

I'm typing up some health notes at the moment, so if anyone wants them, just PM me you email address. :smile:

Quite late to point this out, but someone I spoke to recently had just done an exam about drug use in the olympics (higher/int.2 English maybe?), unsure if they'd have two exams on the same thing?
Bon courage!
love,
currently despairing :redface:
Good luck for tomorrow guys (:
Bonne chance tout le monde!!! :biggrin:
Bonne Chance :smile: I did my AH German on tuesday and overall it was good,the reading was not really complex and the listening wasn't either.I found the essay questions to be pretty unusual however but still. Viel Gleuck as I would say :smile:
How did everyone find it?:biggrin: I thought the reading and translation were really interesting and the language was a good level, it was very readable... The listening was a godsend for me as I've studied technology to the death and the questions were really quite straightforward, and the essay questions all seemed good too (I picked the environment question)
Original post by -chiquitita
How did everyone find it?:biggrin: I thought the reading and translation were really interesting and the language was a good level, it was very readable... The listening was a godsend for me as I've studied technology to the death and the questions were really quite straightforward, and the essay questions all seemed good too (I picked the environment question)

I feel the exact same! I did the media question, though. We did one almost identical to that in class and I'd looked over my media stuff the day before. I'm feeling quite confident, which I did not expect - we started the course 3 months late, we only had 2 periods a week with a teacher who's never taught AH before, and 2 of the topics we didn't cover at all. I'm happy!

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my Galaxy Nexus
My exam too went really well, despite the fact my teachers tried to stop me from sitting it! Translation was fabulous and the listening was thankfully pretty good too! I'm glad the reading was an interesting topic because it's hard to get into it when it's boring. None of the writing questions I expected came up but I ended up doing the question about women having to give up their career to look after their family. All in all, a very reasonable exam. Fingers crossed for the A I'm rooting for! Glad everyone else is confident too :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I thought the exam was a bit of a doddle to be honest! :biggrin: Before the reading, our teacher came out and said "it's not hard" and she was definitely right. Then before the listening, the same thing happened - she was like "oh my God, it is sooo easy!" and she reassured us that the essay questions were perfect for us.

I did the media essay, because I did my speaking on that so I could reuse quite a lot of complex vocab I learnt for that. Unfortunately I was over the word limit and spent the last five minutes trying to figure how to get rid of 19 words. :redface: Managed to get it down to 302, which will be fine as there's 10% leeway.

I was cracking up at the listening with "a phone...IN MY POCKET?!", although the phone ringing at the start did take me by surprise! It amused me how the girl was all like "people can't stand not having their phones on them, they text all the time" etc. and immediately after the listening part was over, our invigilator took out her phone and started texting. :lol:

But yeah, I think I've done well enough to get an A! :biggrin:
Haha I started laughing too! Didn't realise you could be penalised for going over the word limit though! Eek! I hope I haven't written too much... :frown:

I thought the exam was a bit of a doddle to be honest! :biggrin: Before the reading, our teacher came out and said "it's not hard" and she was definitely right. Then before the listening, the same thing happened - she was like "oh my God, it is sooo easy!" and she reassured us that the essay questions were perfect for us.

I did the media essay, because I did my speaking on that so I could reuse quite a lot of complex vocab I learnt for that. Unfortunately I was over the word limit and spent the last five minutes trying to figure how to get rid of 19 words. :redface: Managed to get it down to 302, which will be fine as there's 10% leeway.

I was cracking up at the listening with "a phone...IN MY POCKET?!", although the phone ringing at the start did take me by surprise! It amused me how the girl was all like "people can't stand not having their phones on them, they text all the time" etc. and immediately after the listening part was over, our invigilator took out her phone and started texting. :lol:

But yeah, I think I've done well enough to get an A! :biggrin:

They're strict with going above the word limit?! :eek: For my Advanced Spanish I average around 400-500 words for the essay, and the Higher French exam that I did today was definitely above 300... Would I get marks deducted off me? :confused:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Quick-use
They're strict with going above the word limit?! :eek: For my Advanced Spanish I average around 400-500 words for the essay, and the Higher French exam that I did today was definitely above 300... Would I get marks deducted off me? :confused:

Possibly, I really don't know. My teacher said there's 10% leeway, so that would mean 225-325 (ish - I don't know if the leeway's based on the maximum or minimum amount of words) is okay.
I have to say, it was nowhere near as bad as I'd prepared myself for it being :smile:

Saying this, not knowing the technology topic and being somewhat intimidated by this, there were a couple of questions on part B of the listening I had to take guesses at. I thought the reading and translation was very fair though, the topic was interesting and the passage wasn't particularly difficult to understand (it's always the small mistakes that get me here though).

The essay questions were also near perfect for me, I didn't have essays memorised but the topics I was most confident writing about came up. I did question 1 :smile:

Out of interest, the very last question on the listening - part B, what was the answer?
Alain bought her a mobile for her birthday I think!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending